1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

LA, NYC are all on lockdown. I expect other major cities to follow suit.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I want to know, what is going on in Russia?

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

5. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

So basically the UK is going to use herd immunity to sacrifice the old and weak, in order to minimize the impact to their economy? Am I missing something or is that pretty much it?

Richie_Rich, malakas and No Worries like this.
  6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Any day now. The CDC is already recommending an 8-week, nationwide ban on gatherings of 50+ people.

It's going to get worse before it gets better and every American will be affected.

Social distancing is literally the only thing we can do to mitigate the health and economic crises. Please stay home whenever possible.

JeffB, malakas, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  7. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

How is everyone coping with anxiety about all this? I had my first real anxious moment where I let things spiral out of control a bit. Caused by mainly being at home alone on the weekend, and spending way too much time on social media and news sites.
    What's helped me so far: talking about it with people, sharing feelings etc... is really good. Trying to stick with a normal routine. Limiting social media (especially Twitter which seems to draw the crazies from both ends of the spectrum). Anything else helping people stay sane?

TMac'n, malakas, rpr52121 and 3 others like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Clutchfans.

Nook, TMac'n, OmegaSupreme and 11 others like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My area doesn't have it yet (at least anyone that has tested positive), but my wife worked with a surgeon all weekend that just returned from Spain and immediately started seeing patients.

malakas likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Possible good piece of detective work from Dr. Feigl-Ding. Looks like as flu season is dying down the influenza-like illness visits are not dying down. This means that these influenza-like illness visits could actually be our new arrival covid-19. That said it could be lots of things, but just something to note.

If you go here https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#ILINet then you can see prior flu seasons compared to this one

[​IMG]

For Texas specifically you can go here or just click on the state on the map

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/IDCU/disease/influenza/surveillance/2019-2020.aspx

#2610 robbie380, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  11. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I feel the same, ive been distancing myself for about 2 weeks already and as long as the situation wont be under control ill keep going(being in the most dangerous risk group leaves me no choice).

I think that some panic and anxiety is normal and for me it shows that you understand the severity of the situation and the catastrophic potential if we wont make the right choices and in the same time you know that we can still move forward and stay safe as long as we do the right things.

personally i found some solace in my work(mostly the more scientific and math based parts that i always try to aviod) so now i spend a lot of time on the desgins and calculations i always try to get away from while also trying to analyze and plan all those "million dolar ideas" or "projects" i write to myself everyday while ignoring them completely in real time(maybe when this all in control ill have my own startup, who knows?)
    In terms of feelings my girlfriend has been amazing shes been my rock in this time and i dont know what i would have done without her this time.

Unfortunately i dont have more things to offer to you or anyone else.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I bought Borderlands 3 on Steam.

Good timing since it was released on Steam just this Friday.

Got lots of Board games to play with my kids and wife.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Last week, my district told us that they were looking into options for distance learning but that we (teachers) wouldn't find out anything until Monday or Tuesday.

I've noticed that local internet providers are going to provide free internet for students without it.

A lot of educational software companies are also offering free use of their services through the end of the schools year to help facilitate distance learning.

jsingles likes this.
  14. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I'm also a teacher. We're being told to prepare lessons online, and to create physical copies of work students who do not have access to the internet can access. We've got holidays coming up in 2 weeks anyway (around Easter), so they might just add an extra week before and after those holidays.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Even after severe containment, what will be needed is a super fast, quick, cheap test for Coronavirus that can be repeated on people multiple times, perhaps even multiple times a day, and a more efficient centralized way to track positive results.

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am pretty sure competent people are working on it as we speak.

I would be content with a development from slow, average quick to quick.....

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt they are. It's just that if the politicians in charge have to understand they cannot lift restrictions until this is in place, or this whole situation will just repeat over and over.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. opticon

opticon Member

1. Praying/Bible Reading
    2. Board Games with family at home.
    3. Competitive online shooters (Videogames)
    4. Cooking
    5. Eating

FLASH21 likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Exercise should be at the top of everyone’s list of staying home activities. The healthier you are, the less impact this virus will have on you.