1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's what I just said. I said yesterday you quoted France (that's in my post) and this new post contradicted it (implied Greece, because I was quoting you mentioning greece). I said the two are contradicting each other. One said young ppl, and the Greece info (which you still haven't provided a link to) focused on info from older ppl.

The French (per you info) said that it was odd that the young cases had complications, and that those young case complications might share a common traiit (ie they were using ibuprofen). This greek case absolutely would not apply, because the point of the French info was that they are surprised by why a young person had complications. Older ppl have other reason.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I edited my response. It would not matter because a new drug is on the horizon.

There are several companies around the world working on a special Covid 19 drug than can either slow down the spread of the virus in one's body or block it into entering the lungs easily causing otherwise fatal lung failure.

I can link you up if you are interested. I read about at least 2 or 3 substances (1 being remdesivir- originally against Ebola)

There is also news going around that Trump trying to buy the works of German scientists in order to use it for the US.

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

You want a link the the greek cdc press conference? It isn't translated to english because no foreigner really cares about it.

The two aren't contradicting each other.
    First the press conference here announces the deaths/ new confirmed cases and the statistics of the critical and severe and then he gives info to the public and advices.
    One of these advices was "there hasn't been enough clinical trials yet about the use of NSAIDS making COVID-19 worse, however the public can still use safely paracetamol for fever "
    That's it.

The age of the severe cases aren't representing the average cases of confirmed cases here, because even though the hospitals now only check risky groups or severe symptoms a lot of people who are younger/mild symptoms go to private labs for tests because they only cost 160 euro. So half of our new cases come now from private labs and includes many younger than 60, including children.

Here is the french advice from the horse's mouth.

5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It was the French Minister of Health that first shared the info via Twitter, I believe. I could probably research more on it and translate some news, but Tylenol/Acetaminophen is a known fever reducer and I, FWIW, have no reason to doubt it.

If you want to wait for official word from the FDA or CDC, that's fine, I understand your skepticism, particularly when the info is coming from a random online article, but you could waiting a while. I myself have ordered some and appreciate all the suggestions and news being shared from people around the globe

6. malakas

malakas Member

OMFG Italy 368 new deaths!
    Things are only getting worse.
    Please god show mercy

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I didn't even watch the video he mentioned. I know Wim Hof is certainly effective, but much more involved. I'm guessing any deep breathing techniques would probably be helpful.

8. malakas

malakas Member

The Dutch dont care for your toilet paper.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Indeed. It will take a while for the distancing and shuttering to catch up. It was that way in China too. This **** is like an invisible man that can lurk right next to you for a week or two and then punch you in the face.

Take good care, malakas. Make sure you mix in some goofy sci-fi movie or something on occasion.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Steroidal anti-inflammatories have been known to make viral infections worse. Not all viruses, but some. I'm not aware of any link between non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAID, generally anything ending in -fen), but some health ministries are recommending against it out of caution. NSAIDs have anti-pyretic properties as in they reduce fevers. Tylenol (acetaminophen or paracetamol for Euros) also has anti-pyretic properties but acts differently than NSAIDs.

On a tangent, there's been some debate whether reducing fever is beneficial when fighting infections. Raising the body's temperature can kill off foreign invaders as well as improving your immune response. For bacteria, the consensus is there's not much difference especially when you can take antibiotics to fight the bacteria. For viruses, not as many anti-virals and your body generally has to fight it on its own. Reducing a fever definitely makes you feel more comfortable.

If you can bear it, in theory, you might be better off not taking any fever reducers to fight this virus as long as you're not reaching dangerous temps over 104.

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Dude, you are insufferable. Take a Xanax or something.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this is what's really important, I mean sharing as much as we can while trying to vet it as quickly as we can. We're all in this together.

I did buy some acetaminophen randomly 2 weeks back (just in case) - basically I had hoped to double up. I prefer nsaid's but with the reports we're seeing it's better to be prepared.

Anyway, I really appreciate @malakas and everyone who keep providing info/good discussion here. It's definitely been better than some other places I've come across

14. malakas

malakas Member

Xanax because I annoy you?
    The blocking option is much better.

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Xanax bc your anxiety is going to kill you long before the coronavirus. Since, you know, that's what alprazolam is used for...

But carry on.

My advice is only for those who want to follow it.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob and STR8Thugg like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My problem (and many others) is we are not taking ibuprofen to fight a virus, we take it often for other reasons (esp, women). So, we could be taking it normally, yet be infected with no symptoms, and cause worsening before we realize we should stop taking it.

make sense?

this is why I'd like to see more than just France suggesting this, as I don't want to stop my normal use of ibuprofen, but will. I'd just prefer something more than "out of an abundance of caution" advice.

I'm on a physical therapy regimen, so find it helpful on recovery days to dip into ibuprofen for anti-inflammation properties that Tylenol doesn't have.

18. Duncan McDonuts

While we're on the topic of NSAID vs Tylenol, NSAIDs are higher risk for someone with GI issues as they cause GI bleeding. Tylenol is risky for your liver for you alcoholics.

FrontRunner and malakas like this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NSAIDS are terrible for your kidneys. Would you rather die from liver failure or kidney failure?

20. Duncan McDonuts

As with anything in medicine, you'll have to weigh the benefits vs the risks. Tylenol does help with pain relief at least, but yeah, not as great if you're dealing with more joint inflammation like in arthritis.