1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHugh

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaChamp, Apr 7, 2017.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Don’t know. There’s a lot of disingenuous after the fact talking.

But specifically to McHugh I don’t actually have a problem with what he said. I get that people need to move on and fit in with new clubs.

Major likes this.
  2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I get it as well. I also get that after signing with a new team is when you get put in front of the media.

BigM likes this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

If he was so stand up why didn't he say something when it was going on he could have stated how he was feeling about it then.

lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  4. msn

msn Member

None of these guys have gone running to the press. Every last one of them has answered the questions, in whatever way they answered, when asked. McHugh was only asked after showing up in Boston.

The Beard, kaleidosky, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  5. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

I wish him nothing but the best, too. His story might be dying down like you said, but the media is blowing up everything Astros and has been since November. I see a new article about it nearly everyday. People are getting rich off it on Twitter. ESPN is getting richer. There are a lot more people than just H-towners showing interest.

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Well, he did say this, " "I get it. I've been there. I know what it feels like to be out there and feel like a team has your signs. It's a lonely place."

Pretty much admits that this is fairly common. Just feels bad that this is what baseball has become is what I gather from his comments.

The Beard and BigM like this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

McHugh would totally take a discount to come back...

vince and King1 like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would take him back at market value. Would be a great reliever for us and we never have enough quality relievers. Need Charlie back also.

King1 likes this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

CFM resigned already if I'm not mistaken

10. Poloshirtbandit

Yep. One year extension, team option for 2023.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm pleased that Cash decided to use McHugh as an opener for one inning last night rather than in a bigger situation like late in the game Tuesday night.

12. lnchan

raining threes likes this.
  13. rockbox

Bring McHugh back. Would be a great BP guy.

raining threes and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. lnchan

The Athletic has McHugh as 16th best free agent remaining... didn't realize he was THAT dominant last season...

16. Collin McHugh, RHP
    HT: 6-2 WT: 191
    2021 WAR: 1.9 ERA: 1.55 Salary: $1.8M
    Agent: Moye Sports Associates

The Rays figured out how to use McHugh last season, finding favorable matchups, and it was pure dominance. McHugh finished with the best ERA (1.55) of his nine-year career, allowing just 48 hits in 64 innings. He struck out 74 batters and walked only 12, including two intentional passes. The cerebral McHugh figured out how to mix his slider, cutter, fastball and the occasional changeup, and where to locate those pitches against different hitters. He’s found his niche as a reliever, and every contending team should want to add the former starter to bolster its bullpen depth.

Best fits: Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rays, Phillies, Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Dodgers, Giants, Mariners, Angels, Astros, Mariners

15. rockbox

Would love to have McHugh as a long reliever or a setup man.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He basically was a cutter-slider guy last year. The Rays identified that his fastball-curve combo wasn't working, and were able to find a cutter grip that McHugh could throw in a closer arm slot to the slider than the fastball. McHugh's performance may not be repeatable as his release point keeps getting lower and lower on the slider as the season goes on for the last 3-4 years (about 2 inches during each year and about 6-7 inches drop overall). His other pitches do the same, but not close to the same degree as he's really trying to get that sweeping motion with the slider.

#276 Joe Joe, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McHugh is fascinating - he came to the Astros after being cut and reinvented himself with riding fastball and an high spin curveball. He catches lightning in a bottle and wins 19 games and is a good starter for a 2-3 year stretch. He then hits the injury bug and adds a slider to become a great reliever before backsliding to replacement level player... then he takes a year off and ditches what was once one of the most elite curveballs in the game and us elite again.

I'd be happy to have him back. Guys like McHugh who came to the Astros in the dark ages and helped turn things around carry a little extra sentimental value.

The Beard, arkoe, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sign every Mick you can, says I and my long dead Irish grandfather who loved the 'stros.

mikol13, msn and SWTsig like this.
  19. rockbox

The braves signed McHugh for 4 million this year and 5 million next year. Am I the only one that thinks that is pretty cheap?

The Beard and PuzzledFan like this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's pretty close to Max for a situational Reliever. He's not a Closer or set-up man and the three batter rule will hurt all situational closers.

And another thing to consider for NL. They won't have a break in the line-up to get those three batters.