1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Important Offseason Will Be This Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zoplicone, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Thank you. That’s what I’m talking about. Although I do worry about EG’s contract. The dude will average almost $18M a year the next three years. He’s 31 now. If he does not perform well in the playoffs, that contract can almost be untradable or at least not worthy of getting a player of good value in return, especially since we don’t have multiple first rounders to attach to him.

EDIT: To be honest, when we extended him I wasn’t mad about the contract, figured we weren’t going to have salary cap space anyway, but I never really understood it. Why restrict us from trading him, and it’s not like he was coming off a stellar year. He actually was amazing in that first round against the Jazz, but it’s not like teams took notice to a point where they were lining up to throw $18M at him next summer. Made little sense besides pleasing him, taking away our second biggest trade asset and not waiting one more year to try and negotiate.

#21 Zoplicone, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m sure some teams inquired about him. But I seriously doubt he turned down huge money. And we have his bird rights.
    Again, I don’t exactly know what you’re nitpicking here. I clearly said at worst we’re going to lose our 7th man and that’s it, but we clearly have a chance to keep him also. That’s a pretty damn good situation to be in.
    I thought I was the pessimist around here.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's well known he turned down higher offers on the table. MLE money

HP3 likes this.
  4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ok fine. You know for a fact he’s a goner and losing Rivers means we can no longer contend for a title. You’re right and I’m wrong.

5. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

most important offseason will be this year when rockets sign scottie brooks to begin coaching after the immediate firing of dantoni upon first round exit :0)

6. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Free Agent Signings
    Jae Crowder (Tucker's backup)
    Christian Wood (new starting center)

Extend PJ Tucker
    Trade Eric Gordon for
    Robert Williams (elite rim protector)
    Marcus Smart (elite perimeter defender)
    1stRP??

Veteran Minimum
    1) System Players
    2) Playoffs Tested

C: Wood, Williams
    PF: Tucker, Crowder
    SF: Covington
    SG: Harden
    PG: Westbrook, Smart

1) Strong defenders who can shoot the 3. Helps post defense.
    2) Long-armed defenders who can shoot the 3. Helps perimeter and aerial defense.
    3) Strong screener who can finish the alley. The alley-oop threat is vital IMO to this offense. The Harden-Capela combo was lethal. Rockets should try to replace that threat, as cheaply as possible. Lol. Rockets should maximize the mix of isolation, p-n-r with lob threat, and 5-out.
    4) Protect the rim! Just because the Rockets play small ball now doesn't mean the don't need to eventually get a shot blocker.

Rockets will need an army of the best defenders that can shoot the 3 going into next season against reloaded LA teams, healthy Warriors team + Wiseman, Bucks, Mavericks, 76ers, etc... The media wants to vilify Harden....so let him lead a team of defensive bullies with Westbrook and let us all be entertained.

Hakeemtheking and RocketRed4life like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey is amazing, but MDA is his muse.

They go together like PB&J.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jerami Grant is FA.

If Morey can sign Grant somehow and trade EGo for Kelly Oubre, I will have a friggin seizure.

Give me the seizure MOREY!!!! LOL

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rivers does not sign then Rockets should pick up Tyler Johnson and Josh Jackson on prove it contracts.

Then extend PJ, sign Jerami Grant and trade EGo for Kelly Oubre.

Russ/Tyler Johnson
    Harden/McLemore
    Oubre/PJ/House
    RoCo/Josh Jackson
    Jerami/Bruno

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Using the mle? Genius! Why havent we thought of that before?

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why are you being a prick?

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Also would not mind adding 2 of the 3 shown below.

Zoplicone likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I was thinking an EG for AG swap. But I just don’t think Magic can justify trading a 24 year old for a 31 year old straight up. I know it addresses needs for them but still, EG is owed a lot of money and is not looking his healthiest. We don’t have anything to attach to him either, just one First remaining right?

I’m all for it though

D-rock likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The Team we played last night had a couple of perimter oriented pf’s;)

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Nice post Daryl.....,

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

funny ....

But you consider the facts , this is a guy who started with Yao and McGrady and a pretty solid team around them , good enough to take the eventual NBA champs to 7 games minus both of those stars and they were both walking corpses shortly after - Not allowed to tank because the owner wanted asses in the seats over draft assets.

He turned McGrady's expiring contract into KMart and eventually Harden thru a series of deals. He lured Dwert to Houston , then CP3 and now Westbrook. The cast changes ..... the results have been steadily above average.

D-rock and Zoplicone like this.
  18. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Get Serge Ibaka.

Legit rim protector, shoots 40 percent from 3. Friends with Russ and James. Chips loading.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It’s true. I honestly will admit earlier this season I began to suffer from short memory and assume Morey has lost it. I would be devastated now if Tilman lets him go.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Serge Ibaka, Marcus Morris, Jerami Grant, Davis Bertans.

Are all four of these names going to get more than a full MLE ($8M) offer? I would assume Grant and Bertans will, not so sure about the first two. Anyone else?

If we’re keeping Rivers and EG and willing to go into the luxury tax, would you be disappointed in paying any of them?

BaselineFade likes this.