1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's Defensive Effort

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Feb 24, 2020.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

This is the best defense I've seen Harden play.

The effort he's giving deserves praise.

Idk what's gotten into him but I think the Capela trade triggered something.

Hoping this increased focus and effort on defense carries over to the playoffs.

The Harden doesn't play defense narrative is slowly dying.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

His wingspan is 6'11
    Can't be shoved around
    Smart

3. Nook

Nook Member

But... but he is lazy and fat and not a good athlete. I am confused.

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

James Harden is a 6'11 Wing Defender, What is happening to the Rockets. His steals are always among the Top 2 in the whole NBA Last Year, Deflection that causes steals is also Stat, he is Number 1 last year yet the Media never mentions this or Voters don't give him All NBA Team Defense, don't those Stats count for him to be a All NBA First Team Defense. P.J Tucker should be All NBA Defense but yet he doesn't have stats to backup the Eye Test.

hakeem94 and vlaurelio like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is currently the best shot blocking guard in the NBA...he is currently averaging a block a game swatting shots like he’s 09 Wade

he’s smart, very strong, and has excellent hands...he has great anticipation as well

if u try and back him down in the post, it’s gonna be a turnover or a missed shot...weak bigs trying to back down a brick wall is funny

we got dumbasses like Giannis talking about a game plan being concocted to attack Harden...I guess he didn’t want to win the ASG and win major money for his charity of choice

Why doesn’t Giannis like the kids?

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Having Clint or Dwight manning the paint may have been somewhat of a crutch for James. Once your man beats you off the dribble the defenders job was to funnel them into the center, but once both guys are playing recover/scramble defense there's an extra; cutter, shooter, or big running scot free to an open spot/space.

Not having that reassurance that your blemishes can be wiped clean has probably helped his approach on the defensive end. He was always more than capable at playing defense. The question at times was exactly that, effort, and how much of it he would bring on any given night.

I'm hoping that this showing will help get us into that extra gear, defensively, throughout the playoffs... especially if Westbrook can turn up that intensity as well.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The key to unlocking Harden's defense was simple.

Bring in his best friend that plays at 110% every night. Harden would have no choice but to pick up his effort

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And Steph.....Steph fed four thousand people with three fish and three loaves of bread; he walked on water, healed the lepers. So you can't fault Steph's defense.

Harden? Strip clubs, nasty beard, and too many free throws. No defense.

Gimme an N! A! R! R! A! T! I! V! E! What's it spell? NARRATIVE!

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've been what I'd call one of Harden's biggest "logic critics" over the last 4'ish years. Meaning not a hater, just a pointer outer, lol. Pointing out the bad to average at best defense, the high turnovers, and the 3PFG% that gets worse in the post-season.

Well...
    * last year his 3PFG% on dipped a VERY little in the playoffs
    * He still pops the occasional high turnover game, but at 4.4 to/g, at this higher pace = 5.5/100 possessions, its still high, but his lowest number on a per 100 basis since 2014-2015
    * and at least for the last few weeks, since going small ball, there just seems to be a LOT more effort or success defensively. Maybe getting him to play defense by going small-ball was the trick all along?? Lol

Let's see what translates to the post-season.

BigMaloe, hakeem94, kjayp and 2 others like this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

His D always there in his own way. It just get maximized and looks more chippy, while the right system gearing up n team D clicking.

saleem likes this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with your title, but "Harden's Defensive Leadership" would've been just as good because he's become as important on defense as RoCo or PJ. Against the Jazz he was our best defender. The team rallied around him too.

BigMaloe, roslolian, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Looking at the stat sheet, he's been racking up a surprisingly high number of blocks of late. Haven't been able to watch games recently; I'm guessing a lot of these are of the Chuck Hayes variety -- waist level slap downs?

DeBeards likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's almost comical how good he is in the post and how some people don't realize how good he is and test him. He definitely reminds me of Chuck Hayes but with even better athleticism with a little bit of Cuttino Mobley mixed it. He really has quick hands and great anticipation.

Lawlruschang, D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Look, it's been years since Harden became a plus defender, particularly in the post.

Since we're still here, the more idiots like Giannis think that it's a smart move to throw the ball to some Turducken down low against Harden rather than run their offense, the better for the Rockets.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

Saw this on FB this morning. I take no credit. Not even sure if it’s accurate because I’m at work and didn’t have time to fact check. Big if true.

Harden vs. Giannis' Season Totals:

Giannis- 53 Blocks
    Harden- 52 Blocks

H- 156 Deflections
    G- 111 Deflections

H- 88 Steals
    G- 55 Steals

H- 3050 FP
    G- 2896 FP

Ones a DPOY candidate (rightfully so) and ones viewed as one of the worst defenders in the league

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

That narrative should have been dead and buried at least 2 seasons ago.

The fact that Harden is top 10 in advanced stats for post defense. Has averaged almost 2 steals a game with as many deflections last 3 season.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

what does FP mean?

Lawlruschang, hakeem94 and Y2JT like this.
  18. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

Same key to make Wesbrook to stop shooting 3s!!!

RocketRed4life and hakeem94 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

This post should close thread in all seriousness.

20. JackLordsHair66

Wow that is impressive needs to be confirmed and played/talked about on every sports talk show on TV and radio now, but it won’t be ... harden has stepped his D game up quite noticeably since the trade (he’s always been capable of this so it’s not shocking to me at all).

RocketRed4life, slothy420 and D-rock like this.