1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you D-rock

Goes with much of what both of us have been saying as far as Wolf-Pack defense (me) and Wing Span (you).

In the game vs the Lakers I saw AD get the ball just out side the paint, turn into the lane, rose to shoot the ball,
    Covington who was standing near the FT line casually reach out and blocked the shot.

Many a PG could not do that.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

The core of our team is obviously Beard - Brodie - BobCov - PJ.

That 5th starter should have been Harkless if he did not plunk out.

So 5th big minutes guy should rotate depending on match up and hot hand.

Most likely it will end up being EGo, BMac or Demarre on any given night. House should not be default 5th starter.

But I am hoping that Bruno shows enough to get a chance as his skillset and measurables are perfect as a tertiary ball handler, rim attacker and 3ball shooter in new system. Especially at 6'9 with a 7'7 wingspan.

DeBeards and j@amc like this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Oh dear god by no means do I advocate having anything to do with Chriss. I just don’t see how Bruno can be labelled a starter or people saying he should be getting playing time. We should not be concerned with Chriss at all, he won’t do anything for us, and we should not expect much from Bruno. That is all

Corrosion and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will be very interesting to see what D’Antoni does here in the next few games. Might be a good time to pull a Popovich and give DeMarre, Bruno a real shot before settling on Ben, Green and House. We know what they will give.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

End of bench should get plenty of looks vs. Knicks.

DeBeards likes this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

AW, Great posts! All my concerns got removed accordingly.
    Last post-season n first half of this season adding up to 5-6 months, we went a long way to be where we are at today, hope the small ball renaissance at cost of 2 blockbuster trades and a couple of small roster moves can finally bring us (this team) to the sound state as your quote i picked up and highlighted in bold.

Edit: I deem the quote in bold as your core idea, and i love the quote most. Waiting for the good news of our last 1-2 pieces.

#1366 DeBeards, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

THICC 3-D disruptor Justin Anderson also still available and also a great fit in our new 5 Out and Switch Everything schemes.

Need a physical man defender.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’ve been pushing for this team makeup for years. Now that it has come to about.....I’m in shock.

On paper things check out and the Rockets should be slight favorites in the West....but as we know the game is
    not played on paper. First team to change is the first team to blink. Sends volume when teams need to change
    before the first tip-off of the first series game.

I was criticizing the Rockets for lay up drill FG% at the rim, but now I see the bigger picture since the Covington
    trade. Rockets hope to entice post ups.....even encouraging post ups. Knowing that it’s part of the trap as
    long as we don’t foul and give the opponents the basket and the foul. Rockets will do like Warriors did for years,
    1) Front the center with weak side backup help......2) play behind the center with help in front (flanks) of the center
    ready to converge upon entry pass....3) everyone stays on their man (don’t allow 3-pt shooters to catch and shoot...
    4) different forms of zones...........5) mix everything up defensively constantly.

I have confidence in the Rockets odds. Come a long way from the 14/15 season when I was posting under
    the user name of Jatman20 (red94 site) when I was saying the goal should be making 18 three point baskets per game.
    “How often do you hear that a team lost while hitting 18 three’s?” Somewhere somehow I think Morey
    got the message. Only wish we could have 40% three point shooters filling our roster from top to bottom, but
    I know they don’t come cheap. This is why my eyes light up when I see Markieff 40% three pt shooting on
    a cheap contract.

This should be interesting.....as the opposing teams adapt, we (Rockets) have to consider change to the change...
    if needed.

#1369 ApacheWarrior, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    fckbandwagons likes this.
  10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Oh yeah, Carroll and Bruno should get a serious look for tomorrow's game. The Knicks have been a marginal NBA caliber team for over 15 years or more.

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hear you on finally getting the players needed to complement Harden (and now Russ). Still need Aaron Gordon (to play Amare/Matrix role on team), hope it happens next season. LOL

Ryan Broekhoff is also 40% 3ball shooter. Plays harder on defense too.

Best of all, better team mate and role player. No techs or ejections.

fckbandwagons and ApacheWarrior like this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

That would be ideal but it’s hard to see MDA doing that given his track record.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Are giving up on Caboclo so quickly? You spent have the season pushing him to the Rockets.

I want him to succeed. Someone yesterday asked me if I want Chriss. He has 1.6 blocks and 1.0 steal per game.
    I think Caboclo can do better eventually.
    BC better 3-pt shooter.
    Rebounder??
    Chriss block% is 5.0%.....BC with Rockets is 17%

That’s all I need for a Rockets Center:
    Rebound/Blocks/alter shots/hit 3’s/ run the floor/ deflections/ no dumb fouls (still working on last one)

TheRedRanger and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

No way!! But Bruno does not have the skins on the wall like AG.

I think Bruno is the future center for this team (when PJ ages out), but he needs to get stronger then prove it on the court each and every opportunity that he is on the court.

Like Robert Covington, he needs time to grow his game.

fckbandwagons and ApacheWarrior like this.
  15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Kirk hinrich! Mike dunlavy Jr , Matt dellehova!

What about Aaron Brooks?

16. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Excellent post. And the followups as well with Drock and Dbeard. You guys are what makes this place great.

ApacheWarrior, D-rock and xaos like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Did ZDog let you out of your cage already?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey not interested in pettiness. Would be a rep killer with Roc Nation.

amaru and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nice of you to say Poonwalker

I’m a believer that it’s human nature to resist change. As one of the older posters (by age) here and old fashion,
    it’s hard for me to see the NBA game change so much. I reluctantly accept the game becoming more of a perimeter
    show.

I’m hoping the Rockets are very successful and have a long run in the playoffs this season for the sake of all Rockets
    fans, Clutchfans and the city of Houston. What the heck, win it all !! Go Rockets !!

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Timofey mozgov plays well.
    Delvin Harris
    Deron Williams
    Terrence Jones
    Jr Smith
    Bryce cotton (all big east 1st team)
    Doug McDermott?!?!