1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey threw MDA his ultimate bone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 21, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

We can add our type of players in 2nd round.

We want 3-D tweeners.

amaru likes this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I know, man. But, in all fairness, we are still one piece (legiti C) away from a full-fledged lineup.
    Most possible the legiti C is landed to deal with lopez brothers or ibaka who may baby hook for 2pt in the paint or run for 3pt shot behind the arc in the clutch. I dunt think tucker is the right type (length wise) could get the specific D done while it comes to prevent from a deadly buzzer beater.

eliefor3 and kjayp like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Sorry, but not seeing this...

If small ball gets exposed in the playoffs and we get swept or lose 4-1 or something - that will be it for small ball as a primary set...

Depending on the coach that replaces MDA... we're really just a serviceable center away from a somewhat traditional set... Imo if MDA is gone then small ball will go with him... and EGo will be traded for a serviceable center....

...imo...

DeBeards likes this.
  4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

If we are committing to going small, why would we fire Mike D? What coach is better at it?

Remlap, clutchdabear, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's conceivable that if it flopped in the playoffs, Morey would revert. But imagine telling Westbrook he has to go back to playing in a traditional set. We've actually run two experiments: Russ and James with a center, and Russ and James without. Experiment #2 has weaknesses, but Experiment #1 wasn't any better.

More likely, we're just talking about continuing to play small ball, with big men available from the bench in unusual situations. And in that scenario, D'Antoni or a D'Antoni clone still feels like the right fit.

6. kjayp

I think small ball has its place... as does a traditional set...
    Imo our downfall has been our rigidness regarding our game plan...
    MDA has always said things like "we dont adjust - we just play our game - they adjust..."
    We've lacked balance...
    We take a good idea and run it out to the nth degree... with the belief that if some is good then more must be better...
    Whether its small ball or isos or 3s... I wish we could just utilize these practices without selling our soul and painting ourselves into a corner...
    When we were on the 'treadmill of mediocrity' and didnt have the talent to be true contenders it made sense to go all in on on different philosophies to try to make up for our shortcomings talent wise... but at this point I just dont see it as being a necessity...
    Balance... multiple options... use what works on any given night...

...imo...

Will likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

There isnt one.

Just need to bring in assistants like Nick Nurse types, young and innovative.

Still.want Darren Erman.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Difference with tweaking your system, than changing system.

Phil Jackson did not adjust Triangle offense for Bulls and Lakers championship teams.

Dominant systems impose their will.

5 out will be a dominant system, if not already.

fckbandwagons and BaselineFade like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bolden is 6’8

Maybe he was 6’10 back when official heights weren’t reported.

D-rock likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Lets get Ariza back this offseason and really try this not so small ball.

Westbrook
    Harden
    Ariza
    Covington
    Tucker

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

we're not firing him, he's leaving us

12. kjayp

Dominant systems imposing their will - or dominant players imposing their will?

Big Chief Triangle is a prime example....

For all the accolades of his vaunted triangle offense - how did it work out when he didnt have the best player(s) in the game? How many championships did his system deliver without MJ or Kobe? Were his Knicks teams still really good utilizing his philosophies but just lacked the talent to be true contenders - or was it a sh*t show?

If I'm to be sold on a system (for the sake of the system) - then show me it working when its not being employed by an uber dominant team.... Otherwise, its fine to have a primary philosophy - as long as you're willing to adjust depending on the circumstances on any given night...

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We've been chasing Covington for years. He's also the type of role player that would fit on any team, not just in our small ball structure. The fans in Philly and Minnesota loved him. He certainly was not just a last hurrah effort for MDA.

BaselineFade, D-rock and randerson like this.
  14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with you about balance and keeping our options open. If Morey could have gotten Covington and kept Capela as a luxury for when we need to play a center, he would have done it. So I guess I don't see it as a binary choice between "all in" or not all in. It's more like a sliding scale where we'll have to settle for a weaker alternative at center.

Also, not to entirely contradict myself (but, yeah, sort of), I'm kind of tempted by D'Antoni's argument that sometimes the mistake is to chicken out on going all in, and that in fact that's the mistake he made in Phoenix.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

We have both.

It takes both.

BaselineFade and kjayp like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Bolden is 6'8 then Ben Simmons is 6'7.

[​IMG]

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

They made it sound as if was championship or bust for MDA in the off-season. Maybe a deep playoff run will get him an extension though.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's inevitable we trade them for LTS .

kjayp likes this.
  19. Remlap

Remlap Member

Re-sign Mike D'Antoni. . . . fixed it. . .

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  20. Remlap

Remlap Member

I remember the whole Robert Horry and Steve Nash black eye in those playoffs against the Spurs.
    Nash shooting FT's with basically one eye. Horry should have been ejected. They got hosed