1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Michigan’s John Beilein hired to coach Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, May 13, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Oriental is a widely used and perfectly acceptable term in British English and most european languages in gerenal.

In the UK it means people fro the Far East while Asian means people from the Indian subcontinent.

While in French and German Oriental is synonym to Arab basically.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lol at people getting offended by the word thug. People are to soft now.

roslolian and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think its also the tone he used. He clearly wasnt using it in the context of the Bad Boys Pistons

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Definitely a Freudian slip, because in the context he used the word, it sounds as though saying slug would have made more sense. He meant to insult them because they were playing sluggishly, not because they were playing like thugs.

I would have said that I had just finished listening to "Thuggish Ruggish Bone" by Bone Thugs and would have probably gotten away with it.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think considering people have been asking if thug is offensive for a decade now, its not a smart thing to say. The fact is people do find it offensive, so it's best to avoid it. The meaning of things change over time, being socially aware of that is something need to pay attention to

6. malakas

malakas Member

Obviously someone maliciously leaked it and made a big deal out of nothing trying to tarnish the reputation of the coach and get him fired.

roslolian and raining threes like this.
  7. raining threes

While I agree with you, who gets to decide what's appropriate and what is not appropriate?

8. Nook

Nook Member

Modern culture, it has always been that way. There is no proclamation or announcement. Think of all the terms over the years that are no longer acceptable.

da_juice likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't know about Europe, but in the U.S. if you call an Asian person oriental, it is disrespectful. Oriental is used to describe an object like a rug, not a person. If it's used on a person, it's derogatory; period.

Asians in America call themselves Asians, they don't label themselves as orientals. It's a word non-asians use on them. This is also why when referring to race/ethnicity, you don't see it on government census, medical applications, or tax forms. At a company, if somebody calls an Asian colleague oriental, that gets reported to HR.

The congruent word to describe something of the west is occidental. But you'd never hear that word used to mean an American/European person in a colloquial setting.

#49 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    DeBeards, da_juice and clutchdabear like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Yes as you said this is only in american english. In english english and in other european languages that I know of, oriental is an adjective to describe people as well as objects. Like tall building, tall person.. oriental rug, oriental person.

Words on their own aren't derogatory it is people who infuse them with meaning based on different societies.

Now why is that that in the same language one side of the atlantic one word became derogatory and in the other didn't I do not know.

However my hypothesis is that it is out of convenience more than anything.
    About 8% of the UK's population are from the indian subcontinent. They are asians so the adjective oriental is retained to distinguish them with people from the far east.

However in the US if I say I'm asian what is the immediate thought all the people will have? That I'm oriental. The term asian in the US is treated like word that describes a race and only represents a fraction of asia's population. A person with blue eyes and blond hair can also be an asian american

And don't try to say otherwise because I have seen it myself.

roslolian likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

John Beilein, Cavs Expected To Reach Decision On Beilein's Future Within Next 24-48 Hours

John Beilein and the Cleveland Cavaliers have discussed the possibility of Beilein stepping down from his coaching role before the end of the All-Star break, league sources told Adrian Wojnarowski and Brian Windhorst of ESPN.

Beilein is expected to reach a decision in the next 24-48 hours.

Shams Charania, Kelsey Russo and Jason Lloyd of The Athletic added that Beilein is not expected to remain head coach beyond this season.

The 67-year-old Beilein signed a five-year deal with the Cavs last summer.

The losses combined with private and public skirmishes with Cavs players has worn on Beilein, according to sources. Beilein has struggled in connecting with NBA players.

J.B. Bickerstaff was hired as an associate head coach with an eye towards him eventually taking over the team from Beilein.

DeBeards and BigShasta like this.
  13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that honestly could have worked as a joke that you added at the end but the fact it's true is basically the most jbb thing ever. he just goes around taking over disasters and seeing if he can turn them into catastrophes.

edit: i mean, at this point don't we have to start wondering if jbb is just a master manipulator behind the scenes who poisons the team on the current coach and magically finds himself in the head role a few months later? dude is 3 for his last 3. i mean getting beilein fired wasn't that hard but his last 2 coaches were a guy who had just been to the WCF and another guy who became a fan favorite for his "they not gonna rook us" speech and he took them both out in under 20 games. legendary stuff.

#53 francis 4 prez, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Mr "Ive got a plan" has had a plan to clean up everyone elses mess to a satisfaction worthy of no one, only to do it again in another location.

15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I was expecting it to be a joke lol . JB always finding a way to get to that HC by seasons end. He must toe that company line and have a great relationship with all players

DeBeards likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sources: John Beilein, Cavaliers expected to part ways by Wednesday

John Beilein is in advanced talks with the Cavaliers about parting ways, sources with knowledge of the situation tell The Athletic.

A resolution is expected by Wednesday, and sources with knowledge of the situation say Beilein is expected to walk away from the remainder of his contract, which was originally a four-year deal — with a team option for a fifth — worth about $4 to 4.5 million per year.

The Cavaliers will return from the All-Star break with their first practice on Wednesday, when many team officials and coaches expect to have the Beilein cloud behind them, sources said. They are widely expected to promote associate head coach J.B. Bickerstaff to replace Beilein. He would be the Cavs sixth coach in the past seven seasons.

Bickerstaff, 40, is in his first season as associate head coach, after spending two seasons as the head coach for the Memphis Grizzlies. He took over as interim head coach for the final 63 games of the 2017-18 season, and continued on for last season.

He spent five seasons with the Houston Rockets, from 2011-2016, and served as interim head coach in Houston early in the 2015-16 season. The Rockets finished with a 37-34 record that season, along with a playoff berth.

Bickerstaff began his NBA coaching career as an assistant in 2004 for the Charlotte Bobcats under his father, Bernie, and was the youngest assistant coach in the NBA at 24 at the time. Bickerstaff’s connection with his father is still present, as Bernie is a member of the Cavs’ organization as a senior basketball adviser. Bernie has been in the Cavs front office position since one season as an assistant coach during the 2013-14 season.

The Cavs coaching situation has been rocky since LeBron James left in the summer of 2018. Tyronn Lue was fired in 2018 after an 0-6 start. Then interim coach Larry Drew, who didn’t have a strong desire to coach, took over. And now Beilein after 54 games.

Several factors weighed on Beilein, including the team’s on- and off-court struggles and the personal toll that the details surrounding his son’s resignation at Niagara University have taken on him, league sources said.

Beilein, 67, left Michigan last summer to sign the deal with Cavaliers. He spoke often about embracing the challenge ahead of him with the Cavs and adjusting to the NBA, but the fatigue of losing became apparent early.

Beilein spent more than 40 years coaching various levels of college basketball and the transition to the NBA proved difficult. The Athletic’s Joe Vardon and Shams Charania first reported in December that players were not happy with how Beilein coached the team, specifically his focus on fundamentals, lengthy film sessions and a lack of offensive versatility, among other grievances.

There was an incident a week later, which was caught on the broadcast of a road game at San Antonio when Tristan Thompson appeared to yell at Beilein. It was addressed two days later at shootaround, saying they moved on from the exchange.

Then in January, The Athletic’s Joe Vardon and Shams Charania reported about Kevin Love’s blowup with general manager Koby Altman over the fine given to him after an incident in Toronto. Later that same day, during the Cavs game against the Thunder, his frustrations escalated again, which he addressed a few days later with the media.

And finally, Beilein had a slip of his own in a team-only meeting, calling the players “thugs,” which he later clarified and apologized as he intended to say “slugs.” Beilein apologized to the team, both individually and as a group, and to Altman.

Beilein had no answers on how to fix all of the continuous on-court issues. The Cavs entered the break 14-40, the worst team in the East and second-worst in the NBA.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

congrats to JBB

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

JB Bickerstaff lolololol

roslolian likes this.
  19. jayland

jayland Member

JBB strikes again. Just like Robert Horry always seems to place himself on champsionship teams, JBB always places himself to take over for fired head coaches.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Respect for JB. He knows how to choose jobs.