1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Honest Media, I believe is an oxymoron.

It wouldn't get clicks. Stoking the fire though... "Let's ride this out as long as we can... we can keep our legitimacy alive a few extra days with this!!!"

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Exactly. If teams don’t have some kind of codebreaker team going than they’re doing it wrong. There’s a reason the Astros were more advanced than most and it’s not because of the stupid trash cans.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The biased east coast media and all the whiny players will bark until the title is stripped. I really think its gonna get stripped.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

THANK YOU MIKE F#CKING FIERS

RayRay10 and mikol13 like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Look at these idiotic people blaming their own failures on the Astros. “Dodgers would have won if Astros hadn’t cheated!” “Aaron judge should have got the mvp!”

Really? How do you know that? Bellinger batter .143 and he’s got the nerve to speak

RayRay10, Cold Hard, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

By the way they mention and use the term “codebreaker” over and over and over in the WRONG context they’re either moronically completely oblivious in their rush to judgement or they know exactly what they’re doing which is to try and keep pushing it as a part of the cheating until EVERY casual fan believes it was cheating

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

2017 was one of the best years of my life and the Astros winning it all had a lot to do with it. No one can take that away from me

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

i can agree with that. I still think its gonna get stripped.

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Doubt it.

msn likes this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

i hope you’re right

RKREBORN likes this.
  11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Me too bro, me too.

Tomstro likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they didn't wipe away all the numbers of the steroid users... there's no way the 2017 title gets vacated.

Rock Block, Nook, Patience and 5 others like this.
  13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

No way they’ll strip it. They said they had no plans to do that. They’d have to strip the Yankees 90s rings for PEDs.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Manfred has doubled and tripled down on why he hasn’t stripped it. If he changes now, it will be an obvious peer pressure reaction. No way he gives in, IMO.

RayRay10 and BigM like this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The Astros punishment has already occurred

As bad as Manfred is, he isn’t going to change the punishment because of social media

And that’s the only real difference in this and the steroid era, the scuffed ball era, greenies, or whatever else has happened in baseball in the past. If there was social media during those times it would have blown up like this too

RayRay10 and BigM like this.
  16. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I think they know exactly what they are doing. In the stories relating to that pitcher suing us, the major outlets didn’t mention his mlb era being horrible. They mentioned his Japan stats and AAA stats, but not the stats of his performance in the actual major leagues.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Have any other teams started to complain about the coverage this is continuing to garner (without anything, relatively new, coming out regarding actual evidence about anything...)

I know the Nationals were (are) pissed that within their own shared ST complex, every media outlet is in the Astros section, and only the local ones are on their side... "And we're the WS champions!"

Like I said earlier, once teams/players start trying to shift the focus back to them the story should start to run its way overextended course... or it won't and those teams/players will blame the Astros as to why they're not prepared/focused on the upcoming season, and the media will happily write another smear story regarding that. "The Astros cheating scandal has ruined the 2020 season!" (even though its the media's trumping up of the story, and continuing the pile-on, that is really the true escalator/culprit).

Rock Block, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point I think the Astros should just stop giving them anything. Go full blackout on the topic because literally any comment is material.

"We're done talking about the past, we're concentrating on proving ourselves in 2020"

I'm sure there will then be a wave of smear pieces and player complaints once that happens, but with no new material things will die out on this end. And like you said, once people start wanting attention on something besides the Astros, all of the player whining will die down as well. Manfred and the team continuing to address the topic only emboldens the reporters to criticize how it's being addressed. Take the initial punch that will happen with radio silence, and then let this flame burn itself out.

Joe six pack in St.Louis wants to start hearing something about his own team. Even the holier than thou reporters can only harp on one topic for so long. And once this dies down, Manfred really needs to put in some behind the scenes work with the media. He has let the wrong type of reporters get too much power nationally. This circus would never in a million years fly with the NBA and NFL media.

everyday eddie, The Beard and sew like this.
  19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

At 3AM this morning, Buster Olney retweeted an article with Bo Bichette's thoughts on the scandal. Yes, according to arguably the most influential baseball media reporter, Bo Bichette, who was playing in A ball in 2017, apparently has a point of view worth listening to.

These reporters are going to milk this thing for as long as the twitter likes keep flowing.

everyday eddie and BigM like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Creep ass reporters...

everyday eddie, mikol13, Nook and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.