1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[netflix]Altered Carbon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So Kovacs turn at the end was completely acceptable to you? At which point did he find morality?

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm not entirely clear what "turn" we're talking about here. Love, betrayal, and loss smashing down a hard-boiled detective's wall of self-preserving cynicism is a pretty consistent trope with these noirish stories. He was disgusted by his sister's psychopathic betrayal along with the exploitive power wielded immorally by the Bancrofts. His homicidal relationship with his sister and the corruption of the powerful were even worse than he cynically believed, and he received just enough real love from his Envoy mentor and the woman detective to lead him to take a new path. I felt it was a little cliche, but not some wildly out-of-character shift. Certainly didn't ruin the show for me.

Is that what you're talking about? Bear in mind that our tastes might not be similar, since you've slagged Marvel movies in the thread and I eat that **** up.

3. Bandwagoner

I watched the entire show where he killed innocents, not a care for anything except the mentor. Then his sister is alive, the only thing he previously had in the world, and he turns on her. I think he would be on her team no matter what.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The shocking (well, "shocking") reveal that the sister killed his lover/mentor, had fallen in love with power, and cynically manipulated him for her own agenda was what broke his trust in her. And he realized he had grown to care for the detective, whom his sister tried to kill for reasons he found rather less than compelling. New environment, new stakes, new allies, hell, new body... made sense to me that he'd evolve as a person. If you found it unbelievable that a cold, cynical killer could find a line he couldn't accept being crossed, I guess I get it, but I never felt the show framed Kovachs as irredeemable.

5. Bandwagoner

I think the way you proposed it there, is how it was outlined as a story, but in execution was completely unearned. What they showed on screen was the bond between his sister was pure and the mentor was wartime lust. He also shot his own people all the time. She was jealous he forgot her. I was on her side.

I think you understand my side, just we probably disagree on if it was earned. When I was watching it really wasn't. I think the turn should have been something for season 2.

He could have redeemed all of that in a justification that in the end he was with his sister again.

either way, it doesn't change season 2. That arc is over now.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Can you remind me what innocents he killed?

7. Bandwagoner

The entire series he was just randomly blowing people up. There was one girl in the scene linked yesterday working in a random lab he specifically shot. Walked out in the lobby, just started blasting then blew up the entire building.

#67 Bandwagoner, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Those people were all complicit in torture. I wouldn't say they were innocent.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

everyone working in the building? agree to disagree I guess. He didn't seem very concerned about innocents.

10. Duncan McDonuts

I think he was. From the backstory, he was protective of his sister as a child. Joined the Protectorate to help people. Got disenfranchised with the Protectorate after Jaeger lied to him. Joined the Envoys, felt inspired by Quell. Kovacs seemed fairly noble.

11. Bandwagoner

he only ever cared about his sister. He became an Envoy (a murdering brute squad) just to protect his sister. That's it. He was perfectly willing to murder hundreds of innocent people as an Envoy to protect her. Then she is alive and he nopes out.

Makes no sense.

Hopefully season 2 story line works because the world is great which is why I had fond memories until I remembered the conclusion.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Yeah, he didn't have the best intentions when he joined up with the Envoys, as it was his only option, but the narrative that they were a murdering brute squad seems to be what CTAC pushed when their real goal was to stop the eternal life that stacks gave. Do we really know that the Envoys murdered innocents? They were more insurgents as opposed to terrorists.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They didn't explain that in detail aside from the schlocky way for him to remain in the audiences favor as a protagonist.

I guess it's because he loved the female Che character since she gave a path of atonement for his sins but they didn't build him up to the point of killing the only person that knew who he really was.

14. JW86

JW86 Member

The sister twist ruined a perfect imaginary sci-fi world. The story was out there, new, exciting and then it’s a sister who just kills everyone. It’s like they ran out of creativity. So messed up. Season 2 will not have the main character so it’s not going to be exciting anyhow. Such a shame, was on its way to be one of the best ever.

Invisible Fan and Bandwagoner like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Holy crap, I just discovered this show, and have binge watched to like episode 7, amazing show.

Like a modern Blade Runner.

DD

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

February 27

peleincubus likes this.
  17. likestohypeguy

well I'll be watching it, but who has the best season recaps for this one? Need actual clips to jostle, not just verbal summary over still frame.

Like so many of these disposable sci fi series, it's completely gone shortly after binging.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

can only remember like 20% of what happened in season 1. with many of the actors changing, makes it even more confusing.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Alright, already season 2....

DD

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm struggling to remember season 1 also, even though I remember really enjoying it. Read some of the discussion up above and it only slightly sparked my memory. Maybe I'll try a season 1 rewatch prior to Feb 27.