1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oscar Nominations 2020: The Complete List

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 13, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It won Cannes as well.

GRENDEL likes this.
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I haven't seen Parasite yet, but I've seen movies by the director as well as other Korean movies of similar style. They are uniquely fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hard to imagine I'll put it in the same category as Moonlight or Black Panther (i.e., films that, in my opinion, won or were nominated for reasons other than just quality).

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do you watch any films that don't involve comic books?

My list goes:

Parasite
    JoJo Rabbit
    Joker
    Once upon a time in Hollywood
    Ford v Ferrari

Not a very strong year for film but Parasite was THE film that in 10 years will still be talked about. It was film making at it's finest similar to Roma in many ways which was robbed last year.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's the list of movies that have won Best Director and Best Picture with zero nominations for the 4 acting awards

1930 All Quiet on the Western Front
    1959 Gigi
    1988 Last Emperor
    1996 Braveheart
    2004 Lord of the Rings (this was the recent one I was thinking of)
    2009 Slumdog Millionaire

2020 Parasite

fwiw: 1932 Grand Hotel is only movie to win Best Picture without any other nominations

#64 heypartner, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Where would uncut gems be on your list?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree that Parasite was Best Picture.

But let's not downplay Joker. THAT'S the movie that will have the most longevity of conversation in years to come ... mainly because of genre and JP's Best Actor performance, but nonetheless, Joker will have the biggest impact in future conversations.

btw: thx for your list. Guess I'll need to see JoJo, on that recommendation. I've seen all the others.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I haven't seen Joker (yet), but I disagree. I think the people who haven't watched Joker yet, won't - it just has too much of a comic book aura to it. You can sugarcoat it with Phoenix's performance or how it analyzes psychology of the human mind and all that, but in the end, I'm sure you'll get a "isn't that Batman's enemy or whatever? lol hard pass" response.

Any culture, nationality, country, continent can watch Parasite and see its similarities to their own life. Can the same be said of Joker?

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

So because I think Joker should have won best movie, you assume I only watch comic book movies? Kind of a pretentious assumption isn't it? You must be Yelp elite

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

How many people of color were nominated for the major major awards last night? How many women were nominated in the Best Director category?

Your statement is just nonsensical. Oscars still remain very, very white.

Parasite didn't win because of them yellow people and their yellow skin. It won because it was the best movie of the year. Joker either wasn't nominated or didn't win Best Picture, neither domestically nor internationally. Basically, the entire world didn't think it deserved Best Picture.

I am a Donut likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

5/24

Is that good or bad?

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It was a fun movie but it ran too long even though it had fast dialogue. I’d put it after 1917. It’s not very rewatchable but it’s a good story

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Out of Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress, I feel like there was only 2 (Banderas, Erivo). Directors, just Bong.

What categories make up your 24?

13. Buck Turgidson

Picture/Director/Actor/Actress

Picture and Director do overlap some, and I also could have miscounted things.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member