1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LIV: San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 19, 2020.

?

Super Bowl LIV: San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

Poll closed Feb 2, 2020.
  1. 49ers

54.8%
  2. Chiefs

45.2%
  1. Buck Turgidson

Watching at home with a few peeps; shrimp, crab & okra gumbo will hit the stove around 4.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Think in general this Super Bowl is less interesting on its face than a tom Brady Super Bowl, but Mahomes adds a little life to it. So it’s probably slightly below average in anticipation and excitement levels. But it doesn’t matter, we all will be watching it regardless. The halftime show should be relevant as Lopez will want to please us, but i do not see it being legendary. Think halftime has slightly below average anticipation, but will be slightly above average result.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know in my circles there's a lot more conversation about it than in years past because it feels so evenly matched. I haven't paid much attention to the media, so I don't know about that hype machine.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If only BO'B didnt piss it all away.

5. Buck Turgidson

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm biased b/c I've followed the 49ers fairly closely this year and b/c I've always liked the Chiefs. BUT I think it's an interesting matchup for two big reasons.

1. Niners defense vs Mahomes. Now that the Niners are fully healthy on D, they are truly a beast, particularly with pass rush. Mahomes thrives against pressure. I don't think anyone can predict how this will play out, at all. May come down to countermoves by the coaching staffs.

2. Niners run game vs Chiefs D. Surely Reid will try to force heavy lifting onto Jimmy G and lie in wait for the mistakes that could follow, but I don't think the recent run success for the Niners is a fluke. They may be able to impose their will at the line of scrimmage.

I haven't put any money on the game, but it could be really really good. The only way it heads south is if the Niners' running game is dominant and their pass rush squashes Mahomes. I don't think that's too likely overall.

EDIT: Via Barnwell @ BSPN ... "The only time a Super Bowl line has been [this] close over the past 35 years was for the Patriots-Seahawks Super Bowl in February 2015, which ended up being decided by a yard. It would hardly be surprising if this game came down to the final few moments of the fourth quarter.

In evaluating these two teams, though, there's one significant weakness that stands out: the Chiefs' run defense."

#46 B-Bob, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  7. Mr. Space City

Forgot this was coming on tonight

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros and Texans showing a decent amount of representation in Vegas -- zero Rockets rep thus far.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

good luck to everyone wagering tonight on whatever. hopefully we'll see a good game

King1 likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans are repping harder than the Cowboys.

Big surprise

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

God this pregame show is boring AF

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

13. body slam

body slam Member

did the ref mess up already? SF got to pick what they wanted to do and which way they wanted to go.

14. Buck Turgidson

Get your stopwatches ready, I believe the O/U on the length of the National Anthem is 2:00. Under is a heavy favorite.

15. Buck Turgidson

I notice that KC has decided to not use a rookie DB to single cover George Kittle. Maybe BoB is watching.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

give the ball to jimmyg and turn a td into a fg. the 49ers coaches are overcomplicating it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Screw Walmart, but that was a pretty sweet commercial.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And the Cheetohs ad, somehow. My two faves so far.

And I knew Jimmy G would throw a couple of these super-stupid passes.

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Fix. NFL wants KC to win. Terrible call on that Kittle "push"

Tfor3 likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Nope.