1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Bernie Bros are an awesome bunch :). With that said, EC pollings is one of the not so good one.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

3. Amiga

Supporting Member

Do you mean Warren, Bernie, most of the DEM candidates and many developed, mature, and culturally "more" advanced countries with a single-payer system? I kid I kid.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Amiga

Supporting Member

The EC polls have them all listed. Bernies Bro and Yang Gang are the worst (when it comes to sticking with the DEM candidate). Not too surprising. I do question the accuracy though.

[​IMG]

5. fchowd0311

Ya I made a mistake not reading the article first.

However, I wonder how the results would differ if the framing of the question was towards a specific candidate. For example if the poll asked Biden supporters "would you support Bernie if he was nominated", how would that change the results?

6. Amiga

Supporting Member

Yea, that would be a good question to ask. I haven't seen that type of question polled. Among Bernie supporters, 31% said it depends on the nominee.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

On the other side of that coin, the Bernie and Yang coalitions are the most diverse (in every way... Race, gender, ideology, age) and are also comprised of more traditional non voters than any other groups.

8. Amiga

Supporting Member

That's why it's not surprising.

Also, you can make the point that the DEM should go with Bernie and focus on attacking Trump more. Significantly less deflection with that strategy. But the independent and moderate conservative...

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bernie supporters are the outrage merchants.

It's pretty rich that you complain about Cenk being judged about something he said 20 years ago when the Bernie Bros central complaint about Biden and Pete are things they have done in the far past.

10. fchowd0311

Comon dude. Use a little bit of nuance here.

The difference is that in no way does Cenk ever justify his previous statements from decades ago. He repeatedly apologies for those statements for the past 2 decades. He's done it many times outside the context of trying to win an election. He never tried to justify those statements and will say that it was completely wrong with no "however" or "but" following his apology.

With Biden, he tries to justify his Iraq War vote. He tries to justify his bussing statements and statements in regards to negotiating with actual segregationists as a good thing. Nothing suggests that Biden as a human changed from the time he made those decisions because he routinely tries to justify them.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You can justify why you did something and change in your thinking.

And you ask me to use a bit of nuance.

And he has actually said it was a mistake to vote for the war.

"I said 13 years ago it was a mistake to give the President the authority to go to war, if in fact he couldn't get inspectors into Iraq to stop what was thought to be the attempt to get a nuclear weapon," he said. "It was a mistake, and I acknowledge that."

You want to explain why Pete is being judged by a job he got right out of college?

#1091 jiggyfly, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

https://i.redd.it/[​IMG]

Bernie is surging and the first person to hit 30% in the crowded field in Iowa.

Bernie in 1rst by 9% over Biden in this Emerson poll 30% to 21%

#1093 glynch, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...d-warren-one-week-before-caucuses/4582032002/

Biden is surging in the crowded field in Iowa.

Nook likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Looks like this was just the beginning of the upward swing.

In the past 5 days:

National average up 2 points.

New Hampshire average up 4 points.

Iowa average up 8 points.

Not particularly important but also not irrelevant that over the same time Warren has either dipped (3 points in Iowa) or remained flat.

This attack really does appear to have backfired tremendously.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good. I don't want Bernie to win the nomination but I want to extract a price from politicians for phony sexism/racism attacks.

jcf and DonnyMost like this.
  18. Amiga

Supporting Member

It does look that way. I initially said maybe Warren leaked the story. Since then, there has been a report that Warren told a few reporters about the story months ago in private. It is possible that those reporters leaked it and not her. But it doesn't matter if that's true, the convention thought will remain that she leaked it. I thought it was nothing much, but the outrage seems to be real.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's a myriad of ways it could have come to light. Some nefarious and some innocent.

Either way, when it did hit the press, Warren made no attempt to pull back on it or add any nuance.

The public smelled the bull **** and rallied to Sanders' corner.

That was just another in a series of incorrect choices made by someone whom I feel has a poorly calibrated political compass.

I still like Warren and would vote for her in the general, but damn she really is her own worst enemy sometimes.

20. Amiga

Supporting Member

That's why I thought she leaked it. If she didn't leak it, she failed at being an opportunist.

I haven't said much about Bernie but... n/m... just said that I don't think highly of him as some people do. He won this round and I don't rule out that he knew what he was doing. And no, it's not because he's not a traditional dem (that's a plus to me).