1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Godzilla: King of Monsters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 4, 2014.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'M GOING IN. MATINEE TOMORROW! BRING IT, MONSTERZ.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Damn, only 49 mil at the box office domestically opening weekend?

[​IMG]

the 2014 one made like twice that

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. B-Bob

Absolutely fantastic! Love this film, and perhaps I have a bunch of you, and a bunch of critics, to thank for lowering my expectations.
    You couldn't really ask for more and still expect it to be a Godzilla movie. In fact, the dialogue was probably way too good for a Godzilla movie. The entire history of the franchise (give one or two exceptions maybe) has goofy humans running around at the feet of the monsters, using bizarro technologies to fight space apes or space roaches or whatever. I love that they've more or less replaced that with eco-terrorists. LOL.

I hear what you and @Xerobull are saying in your complaints.

• Some dumb kid is always part of the experience. It comes with the franchise, I think. She wasn't that annoying.
    • Yes on Kong.
    • Yes on Monarch, but it worked well within the goofy movie universe. It was fine.
    • Would also liked to have seen some other monsters, but what we got was amazing. We got more Rodan than I expected, and Mothra was just a flawless incarnation here. Mothra 2020! But yes, I was hoping for Angilas and thought I might have glimpsed him. Maybe they didn't have rights? Maybe they are saving him? How funny would that be? (Also, I hated having a Muto back. WTF? Just reusing the digital model I guess.)
    • Watanabe and Chandler were absolutely pitch perfect over-acting in this goofy world. Chandler may be one of the best disaster movie actors at this point. He ate every scene he was in.
    • There were several weird edits like the one you mention. That honestly could have been tighter.

Overall, this was head and shoulders above the 2014 version, just a much better level, including acting and dialogue (which were absurdly bad in 2014 version). I respect everyone's opinion, but I'm not sure what people liked in former Godzilla movies if they didn't like this one.

PRO TIP: do not wait for the after-credit tease unless you just like the symphonic Godzilla march music (which I do). I thought the after credit was weak sauce.

mikol13 likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah
    the mom gone mad story was super dumb.
    Also they killed off the most interesting human in the Japanese monarch dude

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Only read the first sentence, and that's all I need. Been waiting for a scientist to critique this movie, because I want to make sure it's realistic and whatnot.

I'm all in Thursday afternoon.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I don't think Godzilla has a large enough following to justify the A level blockbuster budget it needs. This one is probably gonna barely break even, if that.

I have enjoyed both of them, and love Godzilla movies, but we really need Godzilla v Kong to do huge numbers next summer if we're gonna see future movies.

7. B-Bob

I honestly don't need more. This was it. I don't even want to see the Kong one, b/c even as a kid that always seemed like a ridiculous mismatch. Atomic breath versus a big ape?

To me, this guy gets it for the current movie, and I'm still buzzing with the same vibe.
    [mild spoilers, barely]

And let me just give an example of the kind of cheese that is so awesome. (Spoilered for one scene and literally one line).
    Tywin Lannister has just shot a bunch of people and it's clear he's a super villain, and he walks up to two (the audience thinks) hostages and prepares to deliver a line. He tenses his eyebrows in the way that only Tywin can do, and there's a pause, as we all await his line...
    "Let's go."
    And the three walk off screen. This is an intentional, hilarious reference to all of us watching so many afternoon UHF godzilla movies after school, with the terrible dubbing, where something important is probably happening in Japanese, but the english overdub was so often "Let's go!" I mean, I can't praise the cheesiness of this enough.

But if people are looking for a movie that stands apart from its source material, yeah, you can be disappointed for sure.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Funny how the YouTube guy calls Rodan the Starscream of the Godzilla universe because that’s exactly what I thought.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It was about as good as a Godzilla movie can get, like many have said, who even goes to see this movies for dialogue?

KG flexed all movie and I loved it, he’s about as good of a monster villain as any ever. Loved the interactions between the heads, the design was flawless. The “humans still thinking they’re center of the world even though we’re literally ants to these creatures” slant was enjoyable. That’s totally plausible of us if a crazy scenario like that ever happened.

Overall i came for Godzilla vs KG and i got more than what i expected. Mothra was a powerhouse, so was Rodan. Very satisfied.

9/10.

Im assuming Kong will be about 80 meters, 3/4 of Godzilla’s height which will certainly make them almost even.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't care what anyone says, I'm watching this weekend and I'm going to love it.

Thanks for the great reviews @B-Bob and @Obito

Obito and B-Bob like this.
  11. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Wait...WHAT?

12. Xerobull

Yep, look at her IMDB page

13. Xerobull

Here's where Kong was during the movie:

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

6 months late. Delivered everything I expected.

I think I even saw an elephant monster. This was like when I went to see cowboys vs aliens and they threw in Native Americans

solid movie .

B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just saw it on HBO. Crazy! I hope my friends made it out of Boston.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Thanks for the heads up. I can’t wait to re-watch!

That’s ‘Behemoth’.

https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Behemoth

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

the next movie is supposed to have Kong fighting Godzilla

My initial thought is that Godzilla should body Kong. What’s Kong gonna do? Kick him in the nuts?

it would be 1 thing if Kong was fighting Godzuki...

[​IMG]

He’d definitely wash him. Kong tho? Hell nah

What’s a king to a god?

#157 Reeko, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Idk but mechagodzilla confirmed

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I watched it well after the theatrical run and I enjoyed it.

I don't know, if you didn't enjoy it I'm not sure what you expect from a monster movie like this? Like, the genre isn't for everyone OBVIOUSLY. But you should know that about yourself going in right?

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure how I feel about that

Is that considered a good thing?