1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Campaign Disinformation (Propaganda) Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jan 2, 2020.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was once like you. After I went to the dark side, I found out it didn't hurt at all, the only thing I missed out on are useless tangents, my marriage has improved, I've overcome alcoholism, I have many new friends, and my kids have really opened up and let me back into their lives.

;)

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course, the propaganda about the rally in Virginia from the right-wing was indeed propaganda.

The idea that it didn't cater to white supremacists wasn't really true either.

https://www.gq.com/story/pro-gun-rally-threat

I'm curious if a group of bearded Muslim Middle-Easterners gathered carrying weapons and hanging a governor in effigy just how much Tucker Carlson's website would have been praising the rally. I guess being white still has its advantages with some people.

da_juice and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Would Democrats Impeach Obama?"

absolute and utter whataboutism

https://www.wsj.com/articles/would-democrats-impeach-obama-11579734886?mod=hp_opin_pos_2

Would Democrats Impeach Obama?
    His dealings with foreign officials and Congress look as suspect as Trump’s.
    By
    Karl Rove
    Jan. 22, 2020 6:14 pm ET

Hypocrisy is common in Washington, but impeachment is bringing out more than its fair share. That’s true of some Republicans, and the mainstream media devotes countless hours to it. What gets much less attention is the hypocrisy of the party that to which most journalists are sympathetic: the Democrats.

Take Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. On Tuesday he demanded the Senate call witnesses, claiming they’re required for a “fair trial” and slamming Republican opposition as a “coverup.” But the GOP position is exactly what Mr. Schumer’s was during President Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial in 1999. Back then he said it “doesn’t make sense” for the Senate to call witnesses.

More important than hypocrisy about the process of impeachment is hypocrisy about the substance. Removing a president is the most draconian act Congress can take. It ill serves America if the party opposed to the president uses impeachment as a political weapon to tarnish his standing and weaken him for the next election.

When considering the Democrats’ high-minded arguments, ask yourself: What if Hillary Clinton won in 2016? After she took office, it would have been revealed that her campaign hired the opposition-research firm Fusion GPS, which assigned Christopher Steele, a former British intelligence official, to reach out to Russian counterparts to solicit dirt on Donald Trump. Recall that the since-discredited dossier Mr. Steele peddled to the media in the fall of 2016 was made up of unsubstantiated rumors from former Russian agents.

It’s naive to believe the Kremlin was unaware that Mr. Steele asked Moscow pals for dirt on Mr. Trump. Those spies are retired, but they rely on Vladimir Putin for their pension checks. Who among congressional Democrats would now be calling for Mrs. Clinton’s removal if she were in the Oval Office? I doubt any. I’ve searched in vain for Democratic criticism for her soliciting foreign involvement in the 2016 election—the principal charge of their impeachment case against President Trump.

Furthermore, while Democrats say Mr. Trump should be removed for seeking a quid pro quo—a Ukrainian investigation of Joe and Hunter Biden in return for U.S. military aid—what about President Barack Obama’s March 2012 open-mic moment? At a summit in Seoul, he asked Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to tell his boss, then-Prime Minister Putin, that “on all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this can be solved but it’s important for him to give me space. . . . This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility.” In other words, if Mr. Putin didn’t create problems during Mr. Obama’s re-election fight with Mitt Romney, Mr. Obama would show “flexibility” on missile defense and other important issues of national security and foreign policy after the election. Again, crickets when it comes to Democratic criticism.

Then there’s the House Democrats’ second charge, that Mr. Trump’s refusal to make his advisers and aides available for testimony is obstruction of Congress. What Democrat screamed, “No one is above the law!” when Mr. Obama rejected Republican lawmakers’ demands for years during the “Fast and Furious” scandal that his aides appear before Congress and produce documents? No congressional Democrat said a peep when the Obama Justice Department held in July 2014 that “the President’s immediate advisors are absolutely immune from congressional testimonial process,” adding that “this immunity is rooted in constitutional separation of powers.”

Democrats are now hyping a Government Accountability Office report finding that Mr. Trump’s Office of Management and Budget broke the law by delaying the Ukrainian aid. But that $125 million was released 18 days before the end of the 2019 fiscal year, the deadline to obligate the funds. Not only is the GAO’s legal reasoning suspect, but the Democrats ignored the office when it found the Obama administration violated the law seven times, most prominently in trading detainees from Guantanamo Bay for the deserter Bowe Bergdahl, as well as twice spending government funds to lobby, and preventing a regional Housing and Urban Development director (far from an immediate presidential adviser) from testifying to Congress. Again, why did no Democratic leader criticize Mr. Obama, let alone demand his removal?

Use of the impeachment power comes with a responsibility to apply it fairly to any president, regardless of party. Democrats eager to remove Mr. Trump didn’t even complain when leaders of their own party acted similarly. I’m not suggesting Mr. Obama or Mrs. Clinton, if she’d won, should have been removed from office. Far from it. But given that their actions didn’t merit even mild criticism from Democrats, is it any wonder many Americans question if Mr. Trump’s acts really rise to the level of impeachable offenses?

Mr. Rove helped organize the political-action committee American Crossroads and is author of “The Triumph of William McKinley” (Simon & Schuster, 2015).

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is how the Republican party now operates. Lying outright is perfectly ok if it works.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Karl Rove?

I'm surprised these snakes think people have forgotten the blood, shame, and lost treasure they put the nation through.

Can a dick shoot him in the face with a shotgun?

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I watched this and thought it was interesting, at face for the average person it's a seemingly unbiased video that happens to paint Sanders in a very negative light (ultimately that he's a communist). I was skeptical of their honesty with the way they represented Scandinavia. The more I watch this channel's other videos, the more obvious it became that something was off, this is a better version of Prager U funded by the Koch foundation and Scaife foundation.

It's a bit scary because it does a much better job at hiding the absurdity of where it leads its viewers compared to Prager U, much more subtle in some videos, but if you watch multiple you start to see it.

Not sure if this does anything for you Os, but it's a red flag to me.

#207 ThatBoyNick, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

need a ruling

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Ruling is you are a certified troll.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's crazy how Republicans are repeating Russian propaganda and @Os Trigonum and other Republicans don't seem to be bothered one bit by that.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you seem to be attempting to read my mind again

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

actually, what's the issue here? I haven't been following the news lately

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Please stop reporting @Os Trigonum posts in this thread lol.

Invisible Fan and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That many Republican senators, representatives, and Trump defenders are repeating Russian propaganda that Ukraine interfered with the 2016 election, which the intelligence community has already dismissed.

You seem completely unfazed. It's SHOCKING.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

tenor-1.gif

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

For the New Years, I unignored everyone in the spirit of new beginnings.

I’ve fallen off the wagon, gained 10 lbs, and have found a whole new world in vaping random grease.

JuanValdez likes this.