1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Outsider

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DCkid, Jan 23, 2020.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Anyone else watching? I just watched the first episode and am definitely in for more. Based on a Steven King Novel.

94% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes

First episode reminds me a little bit of "The Night Of," another HBO show. That one took a nose dive as the season progressed. Hopefully this one keeps it going.

2. Buck Turgidson

Oh yeah, I'm watching.

It's about to go from dark police mystery to some weird ****, I'm guessing.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

enjoying it so far

the apparent supernatural element kills the mystery that was presented in the beginning

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I thought the first 3 episodes were great, I actually appreciated the supernatural elements. It changed it up from the standard murder mystery like these, I kind of like not knowing where it's all going......

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Great show, the wife and I are hooked

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's been real good so far. I'm enjoying it.

However...I've generally always liked how Stephen King stories begin, but never really like how the end. I haven't read the book so we'll see how things go.

FrontRunner, shorerider and GRENDEL like this.
  7. mulletman

mulletman Member

The atomic wedgie scene

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

This good

rhino17 likes this.
  9. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I read it a year ago and have pretty much forgot the whole thing. In other words, it was mediocre for King (who I love BTW).

I can tell you the ending wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm watching. Still trying to figure out who/how/what this evil entity manifests itself.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm a fan of King too but that does describe a lot of his books, IT, The Stand......

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Very true. Also true: I gave up on The Stand. Literally couldn't finish it. After 500 pages of nothing I had to move on. Same with his latest, The Institute, which I gave up on after only a chapter.

I either love his stories or I don't. IT is one of my all-time favorite books, but yeah... not a great ending.

GRENDEL likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just started watching. Intense show.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

Forgot about this show. This is *EXACTLY* what happened

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He should think about writing for comic books. The Shining is basically X-Men.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hadnt even heard of this show. Thanks for the bump.

17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It wasn't The Conjuring or a jump scare marathon geared towards teens -- more about making the preposterous plausible in the minds of people who might not typically watch a show like it. It succeeded quite well, IMO, thanks in great part to Bateman's direction and the show's cast.

Some flaws and missed opportunities, sure. But still really, really good.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Finished this series yesterday.

I loved it. Acting was fantastic, pacing was great (where a lot of series tend to have filler issues to meet the episode count demand). Loved the story, classic Stephen King.

I would say if you liked the first season of True Detective and that sort of tense murder mystery/serial killer chase show, this is a bullseye for you.

I'll spoiler this because it seems like some people haven't seen it yet.

I would call this show a cross between the X-Files and True Detective if written by Steven King. You could plug in Muller and Scully instead of Holly and Andy and it would have worked even better, although Holly was a great character (and from what I read, she's a recurring character in King's books).

I loved The Outsider itself but it sort of went out like a punk at the end. I get that it relied on camouflaged and controlling it's minions to succeed, but they made a point of calling out how 'strong' it was even starving when it ran away at the Cave festival. The fact that all it took was a gunshot and a stalactite to the gut to bring it down was pretty weak. Yeah, it was 'playing possum' and starving but still, it's the bad guy, I would have preferred a big fight in the climax. Having Jack kill four people was sort of weak, too...I was able to guess the people who would die at the end, so they sort of telegraphed or tipped their hat at that. I guess the idea was that the payoff was actually catching The Outsider.

Spending 20 minutes tying up the Terry angle was a bit of a stretch. They could have just had a news headline and I think the audience would have put it together.

Something I did like a lot was the use of the women in the series. Honestly, it's usually shoehorned in to these types of shows to get the female viewership but it generally misses the mark. In this show it worked great. I have to give King some of the credit, and the show writers and the actors themselves. I cared about their POVs and the women weren't needlessly b****y as is usually the case.

I sort of feel like Jeannie (cop's wife) was a little too old for the part. She's ~60 in real life and it shows. Great actress but I have a hard time buying her or Ralph as parents of a teenager. On the other hand, I'm 47 and have young kids so I may change my tune in a decade (although my wife is 39).

Overall, five-star show. Not as good as season 1 of True Detective or Breaking Bad, but close. Highly recommended.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The show kind of lost it a little as it wen on, but still good. But man, the beginning of the show, particularly this scene was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Forgot Bateman was in it.