1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. raining threes

Wrong

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What am I wrong about?

3. raining threes

I thought you said weren't. I didn't see the ?

Reading is fundamental or at least should be.

Sorry about that.

bobrek likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

So apparently Olsen wanted to negotiate an extension with Tunsil last year and BOB overrode him and one of the reasons hes fired now.

Whatever you think of the Tunsil trade in terms of whether or not hes worth it or hes great for the team, it is abundantly clear BOB has absolutely zero vision for anything beyond the next year.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Texans left tackle Laremy Tunsil has fired his agency, CAA, which had represented him since the Dolphins selected him in the first round in 2016. Tunsil is in process of selecting new representation per league sources. He's expected to become highest paid tackle this offseason

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 3, 2020

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  6. raining threes

Care to share where you got this info from?

Could it be out of the rectum area?

7. Buck Turgidson

It could be total rectum, but I do recall as the trade was going down that a maybe extension was in the works. Why wouldn't it have been? But BoB didn't do that? Dunno, you tell me.

This is just me, but I would say that an extension would have been way really better last year. Again, just me.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sign him to a big extension but add in a clause that docks him for each false start.

Nook, King1 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. raining threes

If only Tunsil had wanted an extension.

Care to give us a link?

10. raining threes

Lol

I like it

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There were articles saying they *should have* agreed on an extension before commencing the trade but don’t believe one was ever reported as being worked on.

Tunsil was only set to make a total of $2M going into the season. Hard to imagine he wouldn't have entertained a lucrative extension at the very least. There is some contradicting information out there but Tunsil was obviously not happy that either negotiations hadn't started per Aaron Wilson or with the Texans' initial offer per LZ and Granato. Neither bode well for the Texans although a deal will get done eventually IMO.

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I hope you’re right. Knowing BOB’s reputation for stubbornness, I fear he may be hard headed enough to put Tunsil in a ‘take it or leave it’ low ball offer.

13. raining threes

I've always thought Tunsil wouldn't sign a new deal until after the new CBA was done. Mo Money

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Woah, easy there big guy. If you want to question my source just ask. Are you a relative of BOB or something? You seem awfully defensive.

But to answer your question, in the Chris Olsen fired thread someone mentioned he heard this from John Granato on his show. I went and listened to that episode and Granato basically accused BOB of that. Olsen wanted to try for an extension before trade. BOB just wanted the deal done consequences be damned. Olsen wasn't BOB's guy and BOB wanted no dissension and Olsen was fired. If you think I'm talking out of my ass you can always listen to that show. Pretty sure it's still saved at some podcast places.

Now if you have better insider sources that say otherwise feel free to share. I'd be interested to hear about them.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Thought we had Tunsil cheap for TWO seasons.... smh. The fact he fired his agent seems he's trying to completely break the bank.

We need some extraordinary drafting and undraftees to balance this crap which is tall task for a good GM much less a bad one.

#wastedyearsoffandom

raining threes likes this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well we still could if we backload the deal. He is owed $10M next season so we could tear up the 5th year option and pay him a super low base salary. The prorated signing bonus would get him back to what he would’ve made. Believe that’s what the Bears did with Mack. Of course that means his base salary will increase significantly the last few years.

But how they structure Tunsil’s, DW4’s and FA will a monumental task for BoB and company.

King1, Houstunna and raining threes like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

High Dollar guys are waiting for the CBA. No one is signing an extension or contract unless absolutely necessary.

King1, stevel and raining threes like this.
  18. raining threes

Thanks for the response.

So either BOB is lying when he said he had nothing to do with Olsen or Granato is making crap up. Since I think Granato is lazy and only has made it in Houston as a radio personality is,

1. LZ carried his whater
    2. He's got great contacts in the advertising sphere around the city.

I really dont believe anything he states as fact and admit I could be wrong about this.

19. raining threes

It can be done.

20. conquistador#11

Laremy gonna get paid Brooklyn style baby ugggh! The Texans knew they were eventually going to have to pay up for that caliber of LT. At least I hope they did.