1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

If the Mets has a great internal candidate, they wouldn’t have had to go outside the organization to hire Beltran.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

3. SuraGotMadHops

I'm fully sold on Banny now, I really want this guy. No Dusty old retread, let's get Banny.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I like him because he likes to fight. We need some fights next year.

Fyreball, mikol13, whiskeyred and 4 others like this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Agreed. But I'll bet the farm they go Dusty due to MLB pressures

raining threes likes this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If Joe approves, I approve.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. mikol13

Supporting Member

Yeah out of all the candidates that I’ve heard from, JB is at the top of my list.

Really railing against guys like Showalter and Baker.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Do not want Baker or Showalter. I honestly don't know enough about Bannister to have an opinion other than some of the jackassery I saw from the dugout with him in Rangers/Astros games...though that's through the lenses of being a rival fan. I can see how his players would respond well to that. Going into what's going to be a very strange season, it might be nice to see some fire from the dugout if opposing teams decide to be the judge and jury on the field.

10. mikol13

Supporting Member

desihooper and raining threes like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Would be a great hire. Bring him home!

12. SuraGotMadHops

MLB has already done plenty of arm twisting and pressure applying. Our GM and manager are freaking gone, so right now, MLB needs to butt the F**K out and let Crane go back to running his own damn team.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with MLB doing arm twisting and applying pressure. In the end, it is up to Crane to make the decision to let in to that pressure or be a man.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not thrilled about Bannister, but among the seemingly likely options he's my favorite. Young enough, embraces analytics, has postseason experience. Honestly the manager really isn't big concern for me anyway.

What we do with the GM is where the real answer comes. I'm terrified Crane is gonna kowtow and bring somebody in that completely blows up our infrastructure.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Crane has already shown where he stands on that issue...

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Really? You are okay with the commissioner of a sport influencing who a team hires for their manager and general manager?

Would you be fine with the commissioner influencing roster decisions or whether a team rebuilds or not?

What about signings, should the commissioner apply pressure on teams on how to allot their payroll or who to sign or avoid signing?

At some point it calls into question the competitiveness and integrity of the game....... which is something the commissioner is supposed to protect.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MLB's only power to influence a team is the power the team gives the MLB. All owner has to do is say, "Suck it". If Crane gives the MLB power, again, that is on him.

Caveat: Some of these things would be considered collusion, and are obviously against the CBA. MLB should operate within the CBA.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Bregman should go full Walter White. Play, Manage, and GM. They were running the show anyway.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm all for Banny. Our guys are going to have to nut up this next season with all the vitriol that's about to come their way. Having a manager that isn't afraid to throw hands will go a long way in our clubhouse.

20. Buck Turgidson

I can't believe so many of you are in favor of Jeff Banister for Astros manager.

He's the exact sort of ********er I thought we were done with when Terry Collins got fired.