1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Rivers body language

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ben Mclemore is a shooter, Austin Rivers jump shot, is more jumping and bricking 3s. He really has to be the only small guard, that jumps the highest in his shooting. His legs looks like Chandler Parsons when he shoots. Chandler had 6'9 height advantage for a line drive 3 when he was healthy on the Rockets back then.

2. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Well if this is a known issue for all players, why would they get angry if an offensive player takes a basket to avoid turnover? They should understand it's just to avoid T.O. and not ramp up the score.

3. farhen

farhen Member

stop it. My guess is your trying to make Austin Rivers be a scapegoat. Just stop.

D-rock and lionaire like this.
  4. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

It would be concerning if he was an overall stat padder but he's quite unselfish, ball-handling is good and moves the ball around quite well. I doubt he would want to improve his stats because then you would see him make a lot more knucklehead plays like Russ used to with OKC.

saleem, D-rock and Patience like this.
  5. Mr Chuck Norris

IT COUNTS AS A TEAM TURNOVER. It happens all around the league.

D-rock, Patience and jacoby like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Austin Rivers in fine. Play him more

Hakeemtheking, saleem, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I would have issue with EG playing awful and still not getting any extra minutes if I were Austin. He deserves more playing time.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Should have passed to Hartenstein on the bench.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, Harden has done the same thing before. Couldn't tell you when, but he's done it, probably more than once.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

harden used to do the same thing

austin river = a young james harden?

11. onreego

onreego Member

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I mentioned something similar to what you're suggesting recently, but respectfully, you are misreading the body language.

Admittedly, I was not a fan before he came here, and as someone who is cool with and respects Trev, I wanted Rivers to get that @ss beat during the LAC Clippers game. Remember him hiding behind the vets while talking so much trash to TrevGawd? :)

To your point: Austin simply WANTS to play. That "Ego" you think you see is called being a competitive player. Consider the fact that Austin could have made a lot of money elsewhere, but he chose to stay with us. Why do think that is? Do you think he was promised a starting role? No, but he knew that our style of play would allow him to shoot more, drive more and learn more than any other team he's been on.

Austin wants to win and he knows he can help. He has been injured off and on but he wants and deserves more minutes. Even MDA has said he wants to find more minutes for Austin. His body language is the angst of losing and not being able to be out there to help the team win. From what I've heard, Austin loves playing in Houston. He has developed a friendship with James and Pj Tucker has taken him under his wing to help him become better defensively. Have you noticed how underrated Austin is on defense? His feet are faster, he stays in front of his man and his ticky-tack fouls have decreased. That's part of his mentoring from PJ.

Austin is one of our better players. He could start on this team if there were injuries, and actually, with certain matchups, he'd be a better trio to start with James and Russ. When he and Russ penetrate to the basket in the same rotation time frame, we're hard to guard...because of the kickout to guys like James and CornerP.

He's a role player that you don't give up without receiving some quality in return and when the playoffs come, you can depend on AUstin to go out and fight. If his shot is off, he'll drive it. If everything is off, he'll play good defense. He's a quality player.

View that ego as something else. Austin wants to be here and he knows our leaders (JH,RB,PJ) value him, along with his biggest fan, MDA.

Now, House, that boy needs to take a couple of seats. If he doesn't start shooting the ball right off the sharp pass from James or Russ, sit him down. He's trying too hard to be James. He's at his best when he catches and shoots, OR when he drives to the rim for a strong finish.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Not a problem... The fact that he's trying to get the 2nd unit sharp should be applauded... Our bench is awful... But if they can act as a cohesive unit, it can do wonders... Most good teams have a bench that shows " togetherness and a family feel"...It spreads throughout the team.. Ours don't even know if they're gonna get meaningful minutes...

D-rock likes this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I thought he was a punk before I got here but the guy is 100% about the team he is on. He needs more minutes on the floor. I'm over the ben mac experiment and house. I really hope we can trade them for at least one useable wing player with height.

KDavis and D-rock like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rivers with 16 points on 7-8 shooting tonight

[​IMG]

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden should sit for several games and while he does, Rivers should start so EGo continues to come off bench for instant offense.

One of Russ, Rivers or Clemons should be on floor while Harden recuperates.

McLemore should continue starting in front of House too.

And for God's sake, play Harty while Clint rests. That heel is not looking good.

Sign Faried too (MDA and Morey need to beg him to come back) because Tyson plain sucks.

If Thabo cannot play every game then give Howard some burn. 5-8 minutes to show his stuff.

Hakeemtheking likes this.