1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is Delonte West

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsLegend, Aug 28, 2019.

1. mig0s

mig0s Member

damn this is sad. can you imagine Lebron is the same age with this guy?

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

This isn't and shouldn't be amusing to anyone.

I'm sure drug abuse is/was a problem, but it was reported by his family a couple years ago that he suffered from bipolar disorder and other mental disorders.

3. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Is this real? I refuse to see the video. I’ve seen a lot of clickbait articles with his image. You know the ones, “see where these 10 former nba players are now”

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I can absolutely guarantee you would not have gotten out of your car and tried to help a crackhead getting beat down in the middle of a street.

I can GUARANTEE IT. Get off your high horse.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Right is right wrong is wrong? As shitty is it to see people doing these things to each other, they aren't always innocent bystanders, homeless drug addicts are often psychotic and belligerent, often trying to start fights, often attempting to rob people.

You're also making strong assumptions from a 20-second video. For all we know the cops were called well before Delonte was face down mid freeway, for all we know people did try to help. For all we know Delonte started the altercation and attacked the man first. Also, getting out your car mid-free way is equally as bad of an idea as trying to break up a crack head fight, any second a car can go barling through.

I don't know where you live, but this **** happens every day around downtown Houston, do you have any idea how dangerous of a reaction it would be to encourage people to try to physically separate every homeless and drug addicts fight you see? I'd personally be responsible to for breaking up over 10+ fights by that standard. You'd wind up being stabbed, shot, jumped, or getting your head stomped into the concrete in no time.

I honestly understand the compassion that you're coming from on this, but disagree on how the belief that civilians should be responsible for physically intervening in these particular types of altercations. There's too great of a chance of being harmed, many homeless people carry knives and shanks. As for calling the police, yes everybody should do this, and like I said, for all we know the police were called before the video started, taking a video after calling the police also provided evidence for the police, it's not always people doing it for entertainment.

Where my compassion comes in on these types of things, is supporting and promoting the need of universal healthcare with mental illness and drug addiction being treated free at terms of service for all people, better-funded schools in impoverished communities, universal daycare, higher min wages, more housing assistance, and just overall a more adequately funded welfare system aimed towards reducing poverty, reducing wealth inequality through a stronger more progressive tax system. These are the types of things that would really be compassionate, that would really help many of our people.

Poverty really ****s people up, the way I see it is Delonte's impoverished childhood caused so much damage to him that even hitting the one in a hundred million lottery by becoming an NBA player, making over 16 million couldn't save his life in the end, which says a lot for the odds of normal people trapped within poverty, mental illness and drug addiction.

6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

16.2 million, just in contract money, per basketball reference. I know they have support systems they need to take care of, but a tenth of that money, properly managed, is enough to enable most people to not have to live like he is in those video clips.

Stay away from drugs, and those who sell or use them.

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

This. Calling the cops is one thing---be a good witness. Getting involved is something else.

How, exactly, would you like one of us to stop this guy from kicking the $hit out of him? And what do you plan on doing when the thug decides you've disrespected him in the middle of his beatdown, and decides you're going to be Victim #2? Especially if he's got a gun. I mean, he's already unstable enough to be delivering an ass-kicking in the middle of the street in broad daylight. You think he won't decide to double down and use try to use force against someone getting involved? How do you know he doesn't have friends who will join in?

Lots of bad things can happen to you if you get involved in a situation like this, and very few good things.

EDIT: @ThatBoyNick makes a lot of good points in his post right above mine. You have no idea how this started, or really what's going on. You also likely don't have the training or equipment or legislative help that police enjoy. Let them handle it. If you do want to get involved---if you feel that if you don't, the victim may die, and that matters to you---be very careful.

8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I am not an attorney. This isn't legal advice, and you shouldn't pay any more attention to me than any other jackass who posts here.

That said, after watching the video clip, in my opinion, the head stomps by the stomper constitute an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury to the stomper. In Texas, a third party can use deadly force to prevent or stop such an imminent threat. Other states may not be as helpful to such a third party.

It's easy, and it happens all of the time, for the recipient of blows to the head like those, to have permanent deficits to mental function. Occassionally, those deficits are lethal. I'm not sure I could drive off having watched someone get beaten to death, as stupid as it would be for me to interfere.

Keep in mind that if you were to interfere, you are exposing yourself to significant physical, emotional, and legal liability.

da_juice, B-Bob and Easy like this.
  9. mig0s

mig0s Member

Not trying to hate on Delonte but there mist be a reason he was beat up. Nobody just randomly beats people up in broad daylight in the middle of the street

10. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

good god. help this dude out

B-Bob, tinman, mikol13 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tragic. I always liked his game. I remember wanting to find a way to trade for him when he was on the Celtics. Hope he gets the help he needs.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

This has nothing to do with concussions. West was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and admits that he doesn't like the medication he was prescribed because it keeps his energy low and his brain foggy. That's a common sentiment among people on bipolar meds, and it's also pretty common that they stop taking the meds for that very reason. Unfortunately, if you're not on the meds and a manic episode kicks in, your brain doesn't remind you to get back on the meds again. Consequently, things can quickly spiral out of control.

So this isn't due to concussions or a lack of character, West has a serious mental illness. I'm not sure if this is the case with him, but adding street drugs like crack, meth, etc. only compounds the problem.

#32 topfive, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    BallSoHarden, Easy, malakas and 4 others like this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And people with these issues often self medicate with illegal drugs. Very common.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Speak for yourself.

I have been in similar situations and I have helped people.

Sometimes we have to just do the right thing.

15. malakas

malakas Member

whether it was Delonte West or any other in his situation that person needs help. Aren't there any shelters or any psychiatric institutions that accept people free of charge?

Gray_Jay likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Imagine hopping out of your sensible SUV and trying to break up a fight between a 6' 3" zombie and a survivor attempting to stomp his brains out.

BigM and DCkid like this.
  17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Sure. How do you plan on making someone in the middle of a manic episode stay there?

Is he a threat to himself or others? Nope? Then out he goes.

Bring back the asylums.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You're right.

When I'm out deep sea fishing and my mate falls overboard, I'm definitely jumping into the water to help him after I see he's sticking halfway out of a great white's mouth - because sometimes we have to just do the right thing.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Could call the cops. Should do *something*.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

fwiw, either someone did call the police, or they came on their own...and apparently arrested DeLonte. But the article does say that many former colleagues are reaching out to help, which is good to hear.

B-Bob, Nook and Easy like this.