1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Cassell for Head Coach next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jan 19, 2020.

?

Sam Cassell for HC?

1. Hell yeah, sign me up.

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Yes, I believe he has it in him to make a fine coach.

13 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. Why not?

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Meh, not sold on him.

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. We can do better than Sam.

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. As much as I respect Sam, we need a more experienced coach.

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. Not sure he's the right coach for this team.

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Anything better than MDA.

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. Hell no!

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. Keep MDA!

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. JW86

JW86 Member

True, but that's partly been our MO since Leslie took over. Morey has proven over the years he can make great deals for the right role players given the restrictions he's had to work with. Remember, Westbrook was not his deal. I'd say his start in 2007 until 2013 - the Harden trade - was best in the league alongside Presti and Warriors GM.

He did well afterwards in drafting Capela, Montrezl, trading for Lou, re-acquiring Ariza, then the CP3 trade, Tucker and Mbah signing. It just didn't work out, but everything Morey did in 10 years prior lead up to the best season in franchise history and some shady calls and bad luck prevented us from at least going to the Finals. I think that has taken it's toll on Morey to be honest. Also remember the failed trades in 2011 for Nene and Gasol as well as the Parsons & Bosh deals lined up.

With new ownership and even Leslie, Morey has always been limited and the organisation has been unfortunate with their coaches. This is on all of the above, since they chose two coaches who don't really like to play young guys, don't really pay attention to details, lack holding players accountable, lack leadership skills and don't like accountability. Adjustments are rarely made, they seem clueless to what needs to be fixed when things go bad, say it's on the players in the end and since Harden is also not the type of leader to take on that role, it's kind of relying on the players to figure it all out.

Developing young guys has fallen to the wayside somehow and Morey has made some questionable decisions the last few years, not signing players that fit HIS system so not sure what the answer is. Harden deserved his contract, but had he not signed for the max we might have had some more flexibility, but with this owner I don't think it really matters. I do think soon we will see a complete restructuring of the organisation according to Tilman's vision. He's going to put his people in powerful positions and I can Morey walking as soon as next season. I don't see this organisation in a very positive light and I'm not sure there's a positive future ahead.

The least we can hope for is a coach who will not blindly follow Morey's data, will tweak it at least since teams have caught up to it, who's not afraid to play young guys which I'm sure Cassell is not given how he started out.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree with you that he’s made some great decisions but he also traded away a lot of assets. I just wrote on one of the other threads. Everyone seems to perceive him as some genius that can do no wrong and I know it’s just not him it’s the other execs involved along with Tillman. There’s inside pressure within organization and struggles that We don’t see that affects personnel decisions but the issue is draft picks and trading of these picks for veterans, cash or nothing since he took the helm in 2007. Combined with draft failures and lack of player development. On top of an unhealthy fascination with analytics and blue print for a team dynamic.

Simply put I don’t like the system. We couldn’t beat the warriors with this system. This system jacked up 27 straight 3s without a bucket in 2018. We have seen the system not working this year. Perhaps it’s time we put an end to morey ball.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Whose system did beat the Warriors in the West?
    Draft Failures - Usually were the 14th pick

Rocket River

JW86 likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

27 missed 3s.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I should have know you would provide the other examples. lol. Good work.

My point still stands, though: Of the hundreds of coaches over the last 50 years, probably less than a dozen played for a team, then coached it to a title.

I'm not even sure those three Celtics should qualify, since that era of Celtics team seemed to win titles regardless of who was at the helm.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I suppose I didn’t exhaust the list, but hey, at least some gray cells remain...

topfive likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not an answer to the question asked

Rocket RIver

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No one is saying pick Sam cause he is a rocket
    IMO
    That is just moving the goal post and changing the suggestion

Also dismissing folx that invalidate your narrative is weak sauce too .

Rocket River

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

think about it

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Signing Cassell and having faith in his coaching skills is much more than ow he’s a former Rocket or ow the Clippers are killing it.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. SemisolidSnake

See, the problem is not hiring an ex-player. The problem is only hiring ONE ex-player. Clearly, we need Sam Cassell as head coach, Shane Battier as defensive coach, and Mad Max to stare intensely at any players that aren't giving 100%.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. .. with a barbell in his hand :D

Rocket River

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  13. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

gotta ask but what is the "CH" in this case?..

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

COOOOOOGS HOUSE (?)

naldodiaz likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dude, I'm not sure why you think I'm anti-Sam, but I'm not the one moving the goal post. I was replying to @J.R.'s comment that every time the idea of a new coach pops up, we get a ****-ton of people calling for ex-Rockets: Elie, Battier, Kenny Smith, etc. and yes, Cassell. Sam may be qualified, but he doesn't seem to attract a lot of head coach attention from other teams, which is concerning. Personally, I love the guy and I like the enthusiasm he brings. I'm just not sure we have the luxury of spending Harden's remaining prime years on someone who might be a good head coach. Two of the best non-retread coaches in the business, Nurse and Budenholzer, already had head coaching experience on some level before they found success.

HP3 likes this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

uh, Cougar High?!!

naldodiaz likes this.
  17. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

sam cassell is a midrange monster

bring it back

18. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

my apologies mate, i got kicked out of UH early on (2001) and ended up at UHD. never did pick up on all the Cougar stuff.

but thanks for the response

xiki likes this.
  19. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

yeah sorry mate. unfortunately UH deemed me not worthy enough in 2001. that's my own fault and i never learned all the Cougar stuff.

thanks for the response though

steddinotayto likes this.