1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The W(why)TF did Trump do this? thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Not saying it doesn't. But fruits and vegetables also do.

Also getting fats from fish, avocados and nuts are healthier than those options in that book.

FranchiseBlade and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eating natural sugars from fruits and vegetables isn't really a threat to future type 2 diabetes. They aren't unhealthy. Children are frequently under served in those regards.

Fruit juice is slightly worse if it is used to excess. But Michelle Obama's program was a change for the better in the area of student nutrition.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll give Idiot son #2 a pass on this one. My wife went to high school at Klein and was a year behind Lyle Lovett. I have met him after concerts three times and spoke to him each time in about a 10 minute conversation. I have a number of pictures with him. If you told him my name, he might say it sounds familiar, but he doesn't "know" me.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My mom used to live in the Klein area and always tells us how they lived down the street from Lyle. Supposedly his white German Shepherd would come into their yard and attack their chickens and kill them. My mom says my grandma let his mom have an earful on a few occasions.

But she's known for telling stories.

No Worries likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

This is not good regulatory policy. I'm assuming you can understand why.

Nook likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-...ving-federal-environmental-impact-assessments

Improving federal environmental impact assessments
    By Mario Loyola, Opinion Contributor — 01/17/20 09:30 AM EST

Last week, the Trump administration proposed significant improvements to how agencies implement one of the most important laws you’ve never heard of: the National Environmental Policy Act. Passed in 1970, “NEPA” requires federal agencies to conduct extensive environmental impact studies before they do virtually anything that could have a significant impact on the environment. That includes everything from Forest Service management plans to federal funds for major highway projects to the permits that agencies issue for pipelines and coal mines.

Under a Carter-era regulation, NEPA has grown into a behemoth of red tape. Environmental reviews average 4.5 years, and seven years for highway projects—just to produce a single Environmental Impact Statement (or “EIS”). That’s years of bureaucratic process before a single bulldozer breaks ground. Of course, the resulting EISs often run into the thousands of pages.

NEPA’s basic purpose of ensuring that agency decisionmakers are cognizant of the potential environmental impacts of their actions thus falls by the wayside. Americans spend billions of dollars every year for agencies to create encyclopedias of environmental facts and figures far more detailed than is useful for agency decisionmakers. In practice, the purpose of NEPA has become litigation defense—as activist federal courts and environmental advocacy groups have learned to use NEPA as a way to slow down or block large projects on the most minute technicalities.

The negative impact on job creation is incalculable. Companies have to be prepared to lose hundreds of millions of dollars on a single project because of delays that are not only lengthy but totally unpredictable. NEPA thus creates third-world levels of risk for large-scale investments, often to the detriment of the environment itself, as even ecological restoration projects and renewable energy projects drown in NEPA’s ocean of red tape.

Because all projects suffer from a NEPA process that has grown far beyond what the statute itself requires, the Obama administration took the initiative with important procedural improvements such as FAST-41, which established a Permitting Council to oversee the federal authorization process for the largest infrastructure projects. The Trump administration took these process improvements to a new level with its One Federal Decision initiative in Executive Order 13807 (August 2017).

The proposed rulemaking, published by the White House Council on Environmental Quality last week, would codify key elements of the One Federal Decision policy. EISs would have to be completed in no more than two years, and would have to be no longer than 150 pages except in rare cases. Federal agencies would be required to agree on a joint project schedule at the outset, so that companies and workers can have some certainty about when key decisions affecting their future will be made.

Other important improvements would help return the NEPA process closer to what Congress intended when it first enacted the law. Refined definitions of key terms would ensure that NEPA is triggered by actions that are truly federal, not just tangential federal support of state or local projects where the federal agency has no real control over outcomes. Proposed changes would clarify that agencies must study their own alternatives, not those of the project applicants, a source of major delays in years past.

Likewise, proposed changes would require agencies to study the reasonably foreseeable effects of their actions, rather than speculating about potential impacts far downstream or upstream from the project itself, where the agency has no authority to prevent the potential effects or the effects would occur regardless of the federal action. Agencies would no longer have to spend copious amounts of time studying global effects to which the proposed action has only a negligible contribution, helping to leave those larger policy issues—such as climate change—to Congress and the president, where they belong.

Another important change would require stakeholders to inform agencies of any objections they may have to the EIS while the agency can still act on them, rather than waiting for a lawsuit to throw the kitchen sink at the agency action as many environmental advocacy groups do today for no other reason than to create more delays.

NEPA is one of our country’s most important laws. It has made federal agencies and the private projects they oversee much more environmentally sustainable, helping to preserve the blessings of our natural environment for future generations.

But after 40 years, it has become clear that NEPA’s benefits can be enhanced while significantly reducing the unnecessary burdens and costs that the NEPA process imposes on the public. The Trump administration’s common sense proposals to improve the NEPA process will help ensure the continued success of this important law long into the future.

Mario Loyola is senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute. From 2017 to 2019, he was associate director for regulatory reform at the White House Council on Environmental Quality.

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He's trying to buy their votes.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's hard for me to believe someone in the Trump administration actually did nutritional research on these issues. It was more like is it a regulation and did someone lobby us to get rid of it? Throw in Obama's name and it's a done deal.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well this answers something I was wondering about why the Trumpers on my facebook page were posting stuff about how animal fats are necessary for neural development.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump stumbling/bumbling his way through the United States Constitution... "its like a foreign language."

“IT’S LIKE A FOREIGN LANGUAGE”: DONALD TRUMP’S ENCOUNTER WITH THE CONSTITUTION DID NOT GO WELL
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...nter-with-the-constitution-very-stable-genius

12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

Oh my gosh, her full quote is actually even worse (as hard to be believe that could be possible)...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Verified: shilling for this man actually makes a person more stupid over time. It's amazing. She'll be reduced to just catatonic drooling by the end of next year.

RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

16. NewRoxFan

steve munchkin with a special guest appearance:

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

What the hell is he talking about?

KERNEN: Tesla's now worth more than GM and Ford. Do you have comments on Elon Musk?

TRUMP: Well -- you have to give him credit. I spoke to him very recently, and he's also doing the rockets. He likes rockets. And -- he does good at rockets too, by the way. I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything, and they're landing. I said I've never seen that before. And I was worried about him, because he's one of our great geniuses, and we have to protect our genius. You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison and we have to protect all of these people that -- came up with originally the light bulb and -- the wheel and all of these things. And he's one of our very smart people and we want to-- we want to cherish those people.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.04.21 PM.jpg

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wish MDA did good at Rockets.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Idiot son 2 is not Lyle Lovett he does not have millions of fans.

And that "know" is the equivalent of what "is" is.[/QUOTE]