1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yikes blow it up!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

What about our defense? CF is always so concerned about the offense. It’s like we didn’t just give up 124 to a Lakers team without AD. Our defense is what is holding us back. U are not winning a title with a below average defense.

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

What defense? Clint Capela is a terrible perimeter defender who can't move laterally, That is a Playoff Weakness, Clint has short arms, being a weak shot blocker. He needs to go.

8 points against Javale McGee is ridiculous.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. Audioout

Audioout Member

Weird thing is, looking over stats we shoot a little over 34% on 3's which isn't great but is closer to the middle of the pack than the beginning of the year where we were the worst in the league. Also, we lead the league in made 3's a game even over the last 10 games where it feels like we've been struggling to hit anything.

What that tell me is, yes, we could still be better at hitting our 3's but what I think is really missing is our defense (big surprise, right?). We don't look like we put any extra pressure on the opposing team's best offensive option while also not stopping other players from getting easy baskets mostly on layups. When we're at our best, we force the other team to shoot 2's, preferably long 2's. If nothing else, they need to force the driving player closer to the rim protector. This is why I see us drawing very few charges.

So, more than anything, we need a long wing defender who can at least be someone the other team doesn't leave completely open at 3. Basically, Ariza from 3 years ago or Covington somehow (again, big surprise, right?). Anyone else you think fit this need? Anyone that maybe we're overlooking?

HP3 likes this.
  4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Standing ovation for this post and a middle finger to the Tillys

Deuce and slothy420 like this.
  5. Asian Sensation

Funny how the Harden stans play the victim card and feel sorry for him..... by blaming everyone else whenever we lose or when things go wrong.

Dude gave zero defensive effort against Memphis, rested until there was 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter came in when we were down 2 and didn’t make a single FG.

You’d think he’d have a bounce back game against the Blazers. Nope. Looked even more disinterested and played one of his worst games ever...in January? He usually saves those for the playoffs.

Against the Lakers he shoots 2/9 from 3pt, has 7 assists to 6 TO’s and was a team worst -12

but let’s just keep talking about how bad Danuel House sucks, how MDA can’t coach, how cheap Tilman is, how he has no help, how he’s not getting calls and how he has to carry the team.

What do I know though? I’m just a “Harden hater” since I don’t give him a free pass every time, expect more out of him (no not talking points) and hold him accountable for his poor play/lack of effort.

BigShasta and daywalker02 like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Next stop..... OKC.

7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

You are right about that. Its been a long time since the franchise has produced a winner. The sad thing is I wonder do the guys care at all or enough to play with some pride and loyalty to the city. This James Hardens town supposedly. Would this happen in other city to a great player other than Houston. Goldenstate, La, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Chicago, Denver,Portland you see fans but you dont hear them chanting MVP to anyone but their guy locally. Look I was and still am a MJ fan but cheering for Michael in Dreams house just unthinkable.

8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It'd be awfully cold-blooded to do that after he spent all that effort to recruit Westbrook here. So I don't think that'll happen this year. Who knows about next year though?

Trading James could bring back a bunch of picks and players. Even if they had to attach some of those to Westbrook to entice someone to take him, because I can't see Fertitta paying that money if they're just going to rebuild anyway. Replacing those two with expirings and young talent would do wonders for Fertitta's bottom line. Not that he'll spend after that.

Horrible thought, but I guarantee ownership should be starting to think about it. Oh, who am I kidding? This front office will ride this plane into the ground, papering over Harden's disgruntlement by hiring whoever he wants, until the team utterly collapses.

(Rubbing cracked crystal ball) I see MDA gone by the end of the year if ownership can't find a new splashy coach to take the reins before then. I'm 50/50 on whether Morey survives this offseason: he's owed, what? Four more years on his employment contract vs. Dumping him allows the China apology tour to start earlier and allows a patsy GM to warm the seat for Patrick. Harden demands out if the losing streak continues, WB be damned. Or he gets together with WB and gets him to make noise about it too.

I think they start beating some stiffs and a good team soon though, and we forget about this until their inevitable flameout in the playoffs. It's a shame.

Reeko likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What would Harden bring in a trade?

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

OOOOOF. SO BRUTAL. JFC, Tilman.

11. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Multiple Lottery picks and good young players

DaDakota likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

probably not as much as you think because he would decide where he would be traded to and that gives limited leverage.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Anyone noticed similarities between the Rockets 2015-2020 and those great Kings teams 2000-2005? Those Kings couldn’t beat the Lakers in the playoffs similar to how Houston can’t beat the Warriors. They also struggled with other western juggernauts (Suns, Spurs) despite having a solid record and ranking in this stretch. In the end they just didn’t have enough. Not enough defense. Not enough playmakers In big moments. This is how our team has been in our 5 year run. Great teams, great players but just not enough to win it all. If we don’t win this year the team needs to retool for one last run within 3-4 years as harden and Westbrook are already 30+. Not all hope is lost.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

After reading these comments, it makes me think Tilman is going to turn this franchise into a joke team like the Kangz or lolKnicks.

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Get rid of most your guys now why its too late.

For Capela the celtics would give us Smart, and Thesis #15 pick..
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=syw688r

Russell Westbrook for Dennis Smith JR, Bobby Portis, and Bring back Marcus Morris. #33 pick via Knicks
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yx3h2fqe

James Harden and PJ Tucker for Ayton, Bridges, Saric, T.Johson 20m Expiring and #11
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=wgu7r3r

So Basicly you get a good get to start the rebuild

Marcus Smart / Eric Gordon
    Dennis Smith JR/ Dhouse JR
    Mikal Bridges / Marcus Morris
    Saric / Thesis
    Ayton/Portis/ Hartenstein/

Suns #11, and Boston #15 as well and #33 pick from knicks.

Not a bad rebuild.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's also 45 years old and playing the 12th most minutes per game in the nba.

covington is a better player and younger. our stars are 30. we can't wait until next year to improve the team.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

LMFAO, is this a joke?!? Not a bad rebuild? It must be comedy hour on the GARM.

Imagine trading Harden for a package headlined by freaking Ayton. U know what, I think I’m done with the GARM for today.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

I’m frustrated with this season too - and have turned a few games off out of anger.

that said - it’s not so much that we blow it up yet... more like we need another offseason to get the right mix of players. Sucks this year - but our window remains open as long as we continue to mix n match players around harden and Westbrook.

of course TF is ****ing us over - maybe a **** finish this season will inspire him to give morey more flexibility. A new coach, new mix of players - another offseason could be what the dr ordered.

but ya this year sucks.

RustyHarden likes this.
  19. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Quite certain the GARM is for entertainment only. 94%nonsense here.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Swapping Covington for Tucker doesn’t significantly move the needle for the Rockets. All you have done is replaced one really good defender with another, and they are both limited offensive players. The Rockets’ problems and ceiling for this season remains the same.

The Rockets need Robert Covington playing alongside P.J. Tucker. The only real way the Rockets can significantly improve is by trading Clint Capela, unfortunately.