1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seventh Democratic Debate JAN2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Jan 14, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What are you basing this on?

Because the metrics don't agree with you.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why? Some people don't think having a unnecessary for profit middle man (private health insurance) is the most efficient way to provide healthcare to citizens.

When we are paying our medical bills, we are paying for the profit of two separate entities.

da_juice and Corrosion like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tenor.gif

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What are you basing this on?

Because the metrics don't agree with you.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Hello? Hillary offensive coordinator at State?

Have we already forgotten the beautiful Air Raid / Drone Strike offense?

Hillary was suppose to be the Josh McDaniels to Obama's Bill Belichick -- heir apparent and groomed replacement, but she turned out to be a Bill O'Brien.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The key word you keep forgetting is some as in some people not everybody thinks M$A is the holy grail.

Some people think there insurance is fine and don't like how M4A will affect them because it will.

There are a lot of things we pay bills for that are 2 separate entities, not saying its a great system but there are ways to fix that without M4A.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He had to give her that job and no Hillary was nothing like Josh Mcdaniels they barely tolerated each each other and Obama did not endorse her right away or even enthusiastically.

A coaching tree is somebody that learns from the head coach and will implement that philosophy that is not all like Obama and Hillary.

I see where you are trying to go but it's a stretch.

joshuaao likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why do you think older black people support Biden?

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bernie has the most young support of any candidate, my guy. The Young are very enthusiastic about him, it's the older voters that shy away from him.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

1st of all Not all older blacks support Biden

2nd not all of his black support is old.

And maybe just maybe older black people support Joe because they actually like him and think he would make a good president.

The thing I do know is that older black people are not a monolith and each can have different reasons, my grandmother was not an Obama supporter because he cut the line and she loves Hillary.

She even liked Trump.

Take that for data.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Biden black support is overwhelmingly old.

Nobody thinks Joe Biden will make a good president. They think he can defeat Trump. that's it.

I don't care about your grandmother.

I'm just kidding about your grandmother I know you are about to have a mutha****ing fit.

ghettocheeze and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I keep hearing the same media narrative that only Biden can defeat Trump.

Yet, Trump lost the popular vote by 2.8 million and will lose again, maybe even higher this time.

The margin of victory for Trump in key states.

Michigan: 10,704
    Wisconsin: 22,748
    Pennsylvania: 44,292
    Florida: 112,911

I find it ludicrous to suggest that Sanders or Warren can't win these states.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It is an awkward dynamic in these debates. They want to win but they dont want bury an opponent just in case that opponent can beat orange man bad. Sooner or later, a candidate will go all in.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I guess that settles it?

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Show me one instance of the media saying only Biden can defeat Trump.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with this , completely ..... we've had that conversation.

But people are pissed off about getting duped by Obama "You can keep your doctor" and they really dont realize the insurance man is not a required part of the process.
    Then you have the issue of handing the government 18% the economy - Healthcare costs were 17.9% of the entire GDP last year.
    People just don't trust the gubmint and you really cant blame them .... and there's always the possibility that people don't get the care they want / need because the gubmint doesn't think its worth it / doesn't want to pay for it or HC is "rationed".
    It may not be a reality but it is a credible fear ...

Lots of reasons for people to be against this , even if it makes economic sense (which it does).

jiggyfly, joshuaao and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I am hoping Mayor Pete or Amy are able to rise in the polls. I don't understand the point of putting Bernie or Warren as president candidates when their ideas are just too far to the left. It's not realistic that they will be able to deliver on these promises, especially when the party doesn't even have a hold of the senate.

Pete and Amy have practical ideas and actually stand a chance at negotiating with the Republicans.

We have to push a good candidate forward if we are going to defeat Trump. As big of a joke as how he conducts himself, the economy is relatively stable (as long as there are jobs, people are ignorant that wages are still stagnant and that it is still a struggle for the middle class to realize the American dream), he is following through on his wall promise (even though it isn't being paid by Mexico, he will claim that it is because of the trade deal that helped the US come out slightly more favorable than the previous NAFTA deal), he is satisfying hardcore evangelicals by whatever policy he is trying to get through to relax prayer laws at public schools, etc etc.

Ultimately, those swing states matter and we need to put a solid candidate forward that has a chance in those states. I think Bernie could have been that guy in the previous election. I now think Pete or Amy are those people in this cycle. Sadly it does not appear either one will win the nomination.

#178 ElPigto, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Great post. As extreme as some find Trump's values on immigration and continued failed supply side economics, his values are more mainstream than progressive ideas

I want to applaud these fans of progressive candidates for sticking to their values but i find it either Sanders or Warren winning does seem unrealistic.

That being said either would have had a real shot in 2016. That election was about anger with the establishment

#179 pgabriel, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    ElPigto likes this.
  20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I originally wasnt an M4A guy and I still have my reservartions but the older I get; the more Im in favor (despite what memes and chain emails may have you believe).

Anyway, I've got what is supposedly an excellent health insurer. Multi state coverage. My parents (who I'm thankfully still covered under) pay a VERY high deductible to cover myself and my sister- one I could never match. My Dad (who has a litany of health issues) purposely pays more for the like best plan that covers the most stuff.

And you know what? I still can't afford healthcare. No matter what we pay for a deductible or put in a flex spending we find a way to get ****ed over. My health insurer- on a whim- decided my life saving medication wasn't covered anymore...with no justification. Mind you; this isnt like a life saving essential oil or some BS- this is Lexapro. A standard drug that happens to stop me from killing myself.

I cannot afford hospitalization WITH insurance. I'm still paying off an outpatient routine endoscopy to make sure I dont have stomach cancer (something I need to do every 18 months to make sure I dont die). And thats with 3 of us (my sister being in college) working jobs that pay well into the upper middle class and middle class

RayRay10 likes this.