1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nope, Marks was already on board.

Both Crabbe and Porter jr contracts were his moves. What's funny is that Portland matched and then traded Crabbe to the Nets later.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It makes no sense for Minnesota unless they have a deal lined up where they need to take on an extra player.

House + Hartenstein + Thabo + 2 FRP incoming :D

BHannes2BHonest and joshuaao like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

It makes no sense unless nobody wanted to trade even a 2nd rounder for Teague, which is something i can easily see being true ;)

The good news is that i expected a Russell for Covington + Teague kind of trade, and that's not going to happen now, Wolves could still out Dieng in the deal to match Russell contract, but i'm not sure the Warriors want to take him back.

treyk3 likes this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Teague has become completely underrated I guess. He's still a viable player. He's just a bit past his prime.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I guess so, although i personally never liked him, i mean, not saying he was trash, but just average.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

13-6-2 on 87/45/38 splits is definitely worth more than what they got.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup me either. his impact on winning was never that good. he's a serviceable backup at best.

Vivi likes this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

This was definitely a “clear a roster spot, save a little money and tank” move for Minnesota, and what you would expect before a larger trade.

If you’re a Covington hopeful, then this is a good sign.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know, personally i never liked him much cause he has always been a poor defender and inconsistent shooter, now i don't really know if those splits are career numbers or just for this season...? But if it's the second eh, i wouldn't read too much into them, he has been playing with zero pressure in a tanking team, that makes everything generally easy.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Minnie also traded Graham so that lowers their salaries even more and opens up a roster spot, Napier and Crabbe (via buyout) might be next, maybe Vonleh too.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You have my attention here.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's unfortunate that Holmes is out 2-3 weeks with his shoulder injury. With the untouchables (Harden and PJ) and untradeables (EG and Russ) on this team, it's glaringly obvious that Clint needs to be dealt IF and only IF Morey and the team wants to inject some above average talent and/or depth onto the roster. A triumverate of Holmes/Hartenstein/Chandler for 48 minutes a night isn't the end of the world if gives us two above average defenders at the forward spots.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

We might still be able to do a trade without giving up Capela, even for Rob, i wonder if we could still also get an expiring guy like Taj (who makes 9M) by moving one less player and then move Taj with picks for Rob in a second trade. I won't bother Bima for this now but i'm pretty sure that's also an option on paper.

Your trade idea is good btw, seems fair for all the teams involved, and i think with Deuce and Holic i'm one of the first guys who really wanted to get Holmes from the first times i saw him in Philly so, i'm a big fan of the player, but i'm not so sure he would be good enough to replace Capela considering who we would've to face in the playoffs. Holmes is strong and athletic enough, he's also a bit of a fighter, but his size is still average for a full time center, and we have no guarantee he would've great chemistry with Harden so, that would also be a risk to consider.

steddinotayto likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Time to dump Clint Capela for Draft Picks. When Rockets Fail to win a Title. Dump Tucker, Gordon for Draft Picks.

House, Mclemore need to be traded this year,
    Mclemore value is a little high for a contending team. Send Austin Rivers to the Clippers.

The bench is horrendous, no high upside scoring young talent.

Only journeyman G League players, or busts.

#414 rockets1995, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

To me the Rockets look similar to the Astros with Miguel Tejada, Carlos Lee, Lance Berkman, but look slow playing defense, they can hit for RBIs but cant Pitch or play defense the players are getting old.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would have honestly traded Clint for Bogdanovic straight up if I could. I think, in that three team swap, he’ll end up being the best player. That being said, getting Bogdan for Clint solves nothing because we’d have a hole at center and a glut of shooters. I didn’t want to extend Gordon in the summer and that decision looks pretty bad now considering he could have been used as a trade chip.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i wouldn't even if Bogdan is another player i love (pretty much a younger Llull lol), he's really good but he's not a good enough defender for the spot he plays and what this team needs, Westbrook and Harden just aren't good defenders overall so, we desperately need good defenders in the other spots, if you add Bogdan next to James and Russ while also giving away Capela eh, that's not going to end well.

And yeah, i remember you wanted to trade and get something for Eric, that was a fair take although i was also ok in keeping him (assuming we had a good chance of extending him of course), i guess we'll have to wait and see if they'll trade him in the summer, but i don't know who will be available that is better then him, maybe Otto in a 3 team trade lol.

Overall i really want the Rockets to make the best upgrade possible without giving up one of our core pieces, if we could get a Covington while keeping Capela and Tucker, and get at least one solid buyout player, that would be already great and imo enough to be good to go. If the only way to make a (marginal) upgrade is to trade our starting center because of Tilman, then we're screwed again.

D-rock likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Keeping Francisco Garcia over Robert Covington honestly haunts me.

Really does speaks volumes of how bad of a talent evaluator is Daryl Morey. After Harden Trade. Next to no draft talent, Capela, Harrell, Morris, Parsons rookie contract after that not much.

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At least that would be a new beginning.

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I honestly want a young coach that knows all about defense with offense. Plus trusts younger players to develop and be part of a rotation.

Chris Clemons, Hartenstein, Frazier, Howard are getting no playing time whatsoever.

Rudy T plays rookies and 2nd year players
    Sam Cassell, Robert Horry were so important in the playoffs hitting clutch shots late in the 4th.

That is why Chuck Daly, Gregg Popovich, Steve Kerr trusts younger players on the bench in the playoffs.

Mike Dantoni 7 man rotation JVG style grind it out vets 42 minutes burns out players. Such a stubborn coach. I miss Rudy so much.