1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Nightengale also mentions Bochy, but Bochy claims he wants some time off. Nightengale mentions Showalter, Baker, Gibbons, and Washington as having already shown interest in the opening.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bunch of old farts. ;)

I already miss Jeff & AJ. :(

3. raining threes

The proper way to proceed is to hire the best people possible and they dont need Manfred's blessings to achieve this goal.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

This was my initial thought. I still think that would be a good PR win with her being second in charge and getting good experience int eh process.

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Tony LaRussa?

6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Cora fired! Boom goes the dynamite

Hank McDowell likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

Cora out

Adds to my suspicion that Manfred orchestrated this all and forced the Luhnow/Hinch firings...

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

what the hell is she talking about. We "got" to fire the best GM in baseball, lost a great Manager, 2 years of top draft picks and somehow we are saving face. Uh huh ok whatever.

everyday eddie and King1 like this.
  9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Lots and lots and lots of pot-calling-the-kettle-black going on in MLB right now. Lots.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

I believe Manfred told HOU/BOS (and NYM...) that either a) the league will ban those involved forever (e.g., Cora, Beltran, Hinch, Luhnow), or b) the league will give the teams the chance to fire them. The latter "choice" gives the owners the opportunity to separate the organization from those involved. Really, it wasn't a choice at all. I think they told the teams, either we're going to get rid of them, or you can do it yourself. The latter "choice" gives the owners good PR for their organizations. It provides the owners with an out, a chance to state that they won't stand by and employ cheaters now that the evidence is clear, yada yada yada...which also helps the league with their overall image with this issue.

#70 awc713, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  11. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Fuld is interesting, feels like he could still play

raining threes likes this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Now wtf about Beltrán? No way he should get to manage next year!

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

if you recall, there was a report about the league providing “protection” to players that ratted out management. I think they had to do this across the board so as not to run afoul of the players union.

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, but that sucks. I mean, that REALLY really sucks.

15. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh HELL NO.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Theres a report that Dusty Baker and Buck Showalter interested in the manager job. LMAO. Fuggg nooooo

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course they're interested.... nearly every former manager who hasn't suffered from dementia yet will be interested... who wouldn't want to manage the talent on this team?

I doubt the Astros hire an old retread.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Let’s just say that the Astros won’t be hiring a black sheep.

The problem is knowing who the best person for the job is. Getting a
    Duh. Of course the commissioners often worked out an agreement where Crane would fire Luhnow and Hinch. It isn’t coincidence that Crane was exonerated in the report and comes out of it fine. An agreement was worked out ahead of time.

What pisses me off is regardless of what the Red Sox did, they will not get the scorn the Astros did.

At the end of the day the commissioners office works for the owners and they protect their own. Luhnow and Hinch get scolded, suspended and then Crane plays his part publicly firing them and distancing his team from the cheaters.

It is a joke all done to try and keep people from questioning the competiveness and fairness of the game - so the owners can make money.

No players were disciplined, even the architect of the cheating (Beltran) gets to walk away will little media scolding.

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

Where's the snitch Fiers or whatever his name is

#79 blackistan, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Not sure how he will fare with the new rules regarding minimum batters pitchers have to pitch to