1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trump] An invitation for Evangelicals to Debate the Merits of Supporting Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 22, 2019.

1. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/29/opinion/william-barr-trump.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

you should know that you’re one of the folks who improve the non-Christians’ view of Christians and the religion. keep it up. You’re doing good in the world. Need more like you out there.

Jayzers_100, Amiga, mdrowe00 and 5 others like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

King David Christians are a real and growing problem.

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

thank you for saying this. It’s one of the kindest things anyone can say. As a Christian, all I’d ever strive for while being in community with others is to be a person that non-Christians can respect. Not necessarily agree with, but at least respect for how I’ve conducted myself and reflected what is good about my faith.

I wish there were a better way to reclaim the Christian “brand” but that seems to be above my pay grade. Happy New Year to you and yours.

#184 Rox>Mavs, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Teach others to conduct themselves this way. Leverage your ability to relate to non Christians and help Christians engage in the world this way. I suspect it’s something you do, but I would suggest that it’s the most meaningful way you can leverage your skills and mindset to the greater good of everyone.

Rox>Mavs likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Truly disappointing that someone that identifies himself as a man of God would tweet this...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Harsh words for fellow Republicans. Never Trumpers have no home.

Looking forward to the soon-to-be NYTimes bestseller Jeffrees will hawk in my man Lou Dobbs show

Spread the word!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Missed this thread the first time around, and I was curious if @Rox>Mavs would find anyone. I did a word search to see if any other poster would say they were an Evangelical and I'm surprised to find none. It's possible someone on my ignore list chimed in, I don't know. Still surprised and disappointed though. For myself, I'm also not an evangelical because I'm not a Christian, but I do go to a liberal-ish evangelical church.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Rox>Mavs

it’s been hard to find devote evangelicals to talk to about this. Most that do support Trump has fairly limited biblical understanding. which again i can’t fully blame them. When leaders like Jeffress make statements such as this, most of that follow the Baptists traditions don’t really challenge the thought process. Just shallow and follow what’s given to them. it’s just sad and discouraging.

I was speaking with a fellow pastor on staff at my church and he started to lament this issue. He said he can’t even call himself evangelical anymore because of how many f’ing idiot pastors that are out there saying stupid stuff like this. And how he can’t say a word of dissent in public because of his role as a pastor and not wanting to add contention and division into the public discourse. Then we both began finding ourselves wishing for more of the orthodox/Catholic Church model so someone in higher authority could just rebuke or censure fools like Jeffress.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Question for @Rox>Mavs: Back when I was in my teens, the southern baptist churches followers like my parents made the move to so-called "non-denominational" churches. The big reason seemed to be that they enjoyed the ability to be more laid back in the way they dress, the music was more alt-Rock, and had much more entertainment value. I also noticed much more of a sermon that was based on more opinion rather than your classic Baptist sermons.

Do you think the changes we see now in the White - Evangelical church becoming more politically connected are an evolution of this sort of de-formalizing of the religion? Did the southern white churches allow for too much flexibility in the interpretation of the gospel? Love to know your thoughts on this even though its slightly off topic.

11. Rox>Mavs

dobro this is a great and interesting question. For background, I became a Christian in a charismatic church at 19. After college I went to a baptist church for a few years. Then a bible church for 8 years after that. During that time I attended a seminary that had no affiliation with a denomination but is known for its conservative theology and literal interpretation of the Bible.

Having said that, one thing I appreciate about my theological training is how solid theology keeps a Christian anchored in function. The Function of a church never changes. But the form can and always must change in order to adapt to the culture. The gospel must be communicated in ways that the next generation can understand. A strong theological base allows you to be more daring and flexible in “how you do church”.

that said, I don’t think the more casual “laid back” form of non-denominational churches is the reason for what we’re seeing in white evangelical Christianity. Rather quite the contrary. My sense is (and its just my opinion) that more conservative churches tend to yield more legalistic and rigid thinkers that can’t think much deeper because their faith isn’t challenged by culture. Much of these kinds of churches can lean more fear based and so their faith does not bend or flex easy to the culture. Hence why much of the “culture war” mentality that pits the church against culture comes from super conservative churches like the Southern Baptist denomination. Faith in Christ gets appended to specific and rigid forms that leaves it vulnerable to blending “culture” and forms (or Americanism/Democracy) with Christianity.

That isn’t to say the “looser” non-denominational churches are without fault and flaw. I would describe my own church as you described. The prototypical rock band with a jeans wearing pastor that preaches topically and not exegetically (word by word from the Bible). And I have found teaching and in depth learning about the Bible tends to be lacking with this approach. So I think most of these types of churches (like my own) might produce shallow and undisciplined faith, but not the misguided Trump supporters that you see or hear about in the media.

so in short, both “forms” are flawed in their own way. But your traditional conservative churches tend to produce the White Evangelicalism you see today that’s in bed with the Trump base. Whereas the progressive non-denominational churches probably err on the side of being more undisciplined and don’t push into accountability as much. That’s a gross generalization, but that’s the high level observation I’d make.

the key issue regardless of the approach, style or form of a church is how solid and rooted the teaching is. If you have bad teaching in either, that spells disaster in each their own way.

I remember when pastors from other churches started to come out in support of Trump. My literal first response to my executive pastor who was telling me about the arguments he was having with them was, “what? This is basic theology that’s given (or ought to be given) in seminary. How do they not understand the flawed thinking behind it all?”

I’m still asking this question to this day.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is the phenomenon I see. Known my pastors for a couple of decades now. Twenty years ago, they'd proudly proclaim the evangelical nature of their church. Now, they're still evangelical but quietly. They don't say that word. And you can see how they feel like they need to lead, especially where politics and Christianity most intersect (which seems to be immigration these days), but are afraid to be too overt. They still get flak from both sides.

13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

…the answer to this question…the conclusion drawn of this “flawed thinking” among (predominantly White) evangelicals that you mention, Rox>Mavs….

...has very simply been stated already by you and many of the others who’ve participated in this thread.

I’ve found this entire thread (in large part because of your commentaries, Rox>Mavs) to be fascinating, but also more than a bit…I suppose the word I’ll use here is pedantic, for all intents and purposes.

And I say that because of what you’ve routinely pointed out yourself about the lack of in-house knowledge and mismanagement of the doctrine of Christianity that you have pointed out among your fellows.

For me, again, the answer to these questions is exactly where you’ve said it is…so it becomes a question, for me, of why the answer is not accepted…I won’t even begin to suggest that it is even widely known among a great number of evangelical or non-denominational Christians, because “ignorance” of the law is no defense against its “enforcement”…

I have to acknowledge, myself, that in no way would I consider myself a “Christian” by any reasoned metric. Many of the things I would claim to “know” about Christianity do not stem from anything other than a measured assertion of what can and cannot be corroborated as historical “fact” (as far as such things in antiquity could be determined).

But even if one were to relegate his or her rationale on this particular religious debate to the confines of the Christian bible (which I’ll do here for the sake of the discussion)…it would seem to be obvious, even to me, that the questions asked about why so many evangelicals (pastors or laymen) have so many “flawed” or “incorrect” views in regards to their faith, is really only about a need to not only have your personal perspectives on life and people corroborated satisfactorily to your own mind, thereby sitting in judgement and condemnation at your discretion (i. e. having a measure of power, as in most things currently, over human interactions)…

…which is in visibly stark contrast to the very foundation laid by its “founder” and namesake, Jesus of Nazareth.

There are numerous instances of Jesus of Nazareth, in the bible, making clear the distinction between “purpose” and “conclusion” or “reckoning”, as it were. “Purpose” (the reason or reasons why you do or do not take certain actions in particular circumstances) precedes “conclusion” or “reckoning” (determining what course of action can/and/or should be taken for or against in a particular circumstance).

Jesus of Nazareth never brooked his message being delivered by a liar. He understood that telling a portion or half of the truth is no better (if not outright worse) than telling the entire lie.

Jesus of Nazareth also said, often, that the end never justifies the means. Cross purposes ultimately serve one purpose, and that is to destroy. He said that his “kingdom” was not of this world, and no “sword” would be used to establish it…

…but that hasn’t stopped any “evangelical” so inclined from strapping a bandoleer and an M-60 on any effigy of Christ and calling themselves “Christian soldiers”, either…

…I admire your courage and your conviction to your beliefs and faith, Rox>Mavs. While I do not share them as such, I understand, I think, that that conviction comes from the right place.

The problem is that your fellows do not share that conviction. They are not charged with spreading Jesus’ “message”. They are charged with spreading their own.

“Compassion” or “understanding” or “forgiveness” for abject, craven and willfully hypocritical and destructive behavior within their groups, under the guise of “Christian” love, is not “Christian love” at all.

…maybe if somebody actually asked that Jesus guy this (or actually have read what he said)…they would do what he would have done (…some kind of sophomoric saying attributed to him…that cultural Christianity you talked about;)…)…

…and called out all of these grifters and shysters and lowlifes and reprobates…even if it cost them everything they had.

Some people would rather live with a lie than die telling the truth. Some people would kill to keep a lie prominent if that lie benefits them, and hide in bushes covered in fig leaves, than stand “naked” before “God” and tell the truth about anything.

Those people aren’t “misguided” or “flawed” or “ignorant”…not in the way that you seem to mean, Rox>Mavs. They’re doing exactly what they want to do…

…and while I’m not as invested in Christianity’s (or any other religion’s ) survival, as I think those are things that give people reasons to divide ourselves…I cannot understand why those who do believe in Christianity would see it destroyed...not by the passage of time or “cultural” influence or “lack” of knowledge…

…but by their own feckless inaction…because of who they do not wish to alienate…because of what such a stance might cost them…

…because the cost of doing what Jesus said was “right” is not a price anybody really is willing to pay…

...or another way to put it, biblically... ..." ...Physician, heal thyself..." Luke 4:23

#193 mdrowe00, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  14. Rox>Mavs

if I can summarize some of the main points of what you’ve laid out (to ensure that I haven’t misinterpreted your meaning):

1) given that the biblical arguments are fairly straightforward, the only reason why an Evangelical would continue to err is because they’ve sought to justify an agenda or personal prejudices that takes precedence over their actual devotion to the fundamental tenets of faith. In other words, they are more American politically, or even prejudicially, than they are Christian spiritually.

2) if those within the Christian faith observe the error among other Christians as they misapply or even weaponize the faith, it is incumbent upon those Christians within the faith who see such errors, to hold them accountable despite the risks or costs that such a confrontation might cause.

please let me know if I’ve misunderstood your points or if I missed one that’s of importance. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to articulate these points and they are well taken.

I’ll respond to those two points:

1) i think you assert that most (if not all) such Christians that support Trump (but really the agenda he is accomplishing for them) aren’t doing so ignorantly or are unaware of their misapplication of theology. Rather they’re actually just using it as “cover” to achieve a more personal agenda.

I would say there’s a spectrum. On one end, some are as you say. They’re really more politically motivated and use Christianity as a convenient excuse. On the other end, some truly believe the agenda is pleasing to God, that it’s His will, and feel that obedience in faith is congruent with their actions in the political arena. On one side are those who are intentionally manipulative. On the other are those who are well intentioned but uneducated in this manner.

so I’m saying I think there is truth in what you’re saying, but not the entirety of the Evangelicals that support Trumps agenda. There are many, in my estimation, that simply follow what their leaders teach them and what their leaders do. Which is why my anger falls mostly on the pastors and leaders of these “evangelicals”.

Jesus’ anger, as well, was demonstrated when He saw religious leaders leading God’s people astray and feigning a nearness with a God with they were anything but. In many similar ways, those leaders used their position for political gain and to achieve an agenda that wasn’t God’s.

2) I feel the burden of this one. Like deep in my soul burden.

I started this thread to keep an open mind and to see if a fellow theologian could make an argument that could make sense, a biblical argument that would take precedence over my own. My discussions with various people has only reinforced the belief that my fellow Christians have no idea what they’re talking about and what they’re doing when it comes to their reasonings for supporting Trump. Again I don’t fault them for that. That’s a leadership and educational issue. But the discussion has helped me to prepare for the dialogue better.

in the end though, I have no audience with the leaders and pastors responsible for this mess. I can’t convene a council to sit with Jeffress and the like to debate the issue. I’m in a fairly low position and don’t have the clout to call such a meeting where such a debate or rebuke could occur. And in all honesty, if one could, I doubt they would be convinced of the error in their theological thought process.

that’s partly why I posted the Christianity Today article. The Chief editor went out on a limb and did the rebuke in the public forum. He did what I wish I could do. What I wish more leaders would do. And he got hammered for it. And if I had a large enough platform, as that editor did, I’d like to think I would as well. Even if at great cost.

And I’ll tell you, what gives me great pause from just outright unloading on fellow Christian leaders in public (given that no private meeting can occur) is that there is a biblical principle that Christians ought to handle their disagreements within the church and that it grieves God when we have quarrels amongst ourselves for unbelievers to see.

I’m conflicted and unsure of how to proceed in a way that is honoring to my faith and God. As of now, my hope is that my church along with a few other like minded churches would draft a “creed” of sorts that doesn’t directly attack or rebuke these evangelical leaders, but focuses more on affirming what the Church is and what it isn’t. how we are to posture ourselves in politics and to abstain from activities of secular governing. I’m meeting with a couple pastors tomorrow to hopefully envision something like that.

Anyway, a conflict must happen. It’s just complex to find a way to do that wisely in the current cultural, political and media landscape that we’re in.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and challenging me to formulate my own better.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

good grief the phony handwringing in this thread

From a policy outcome perspective (judges, PP funding), it's hard to think of a more pro-life POTUS than Trump.

Is there something Trump has done as POTUS that would cause evangelicals to cut off their nose and vote for an alternative that would promote the killing of the unborn (or take away their church's tax exempt status)?

16. Rox>Mavs

I think you fail to understand the point of the entire thread. It’s not about Trump or his policy agenda. This isn’t a political discussion on the policy issues. It’s a discussion on the Church’s participation in politics.

the phony handwringing you refer to is a struggle of a conflict within the community of Christian believers. If that’s not you, then no need to critique a conflict that doesn’t involve you. If you are a believer then I’d challenge you to argue your basis for not just supporting Trump but for engaging in the political mudslinging that is anything but Christ like.

No Worries, mdrowe00 and NewRoxFan like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

After 10 pages an evangelical Trump supporter finally chimes in and basically spells out the defense that was inevitably going to be the end of the debate, or where they’d like the debate to end.

The question at the heart of the debate of why evangelicals are die hard for Trump when he’s clearly one of the most immoral high profile people ever to live in the modern era might still be unanswered but at least we have the justification that’ll inevitably be used.

Definitely don’t want to go down the abortion debate vortex, but when this topic is used as justification it signals that there’s not really a good answer that they are going to have. It’s simply about politics, power, and money that have infected the churches reputation. Using the abortion issue as your get out jail card in politics is the most played out card in the deck.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. Rox>Mavs

I’m not entirely sure @Commodore is an evangelical. He refers to them in third person so I suspect he’s just a Trump supporter that is suggesting Evangelicals ought to due to policy agenda alignment.

unless Commodore you’d say otherwise? Or perhaps a Trump/GOP supporter first and then possibly a convenient Christian as a distant second or third?

but dobro, your point is taken. I’m finding in my discussions the lead out for many supposed evangelicals is on policy issues like abortion. But when pressed to biblically justify their support of Trump, really Christianity is just convenient cover, which for me just means there’s far less actual Christians out there than polling data suggests.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. myco

myco Contributing Member

Just chiming in to say that this thread has been captivating. I have much appreciation for Rox>Mav's perspective though I am disappointed that his initial invitation remains unanswered.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Something tangentially related.
    What Is the Bible?: How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything

I've been reading it. I'm not finished yet. It's pretty cool and he's done way more research than I could possibly do, and it provides a possible greater understanding.

It isn't an attempt to get anyone to become a Christian or a bashing of anyone that is a Christian. It isn't dogma. What he's saying isn't all that new. Most of it isn't exact, but it can broaden understanding of the biblical stories whether you hate the bible or claim to love it. It's just a good read.

I love Rob Bell's stuff, so I thought I would put this out there.

Rox>Mavs and mdrowe00 like this.