1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Movie] Morbius

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 13, 2020.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

While the MCU is the undisputed king of shared universes, Sony Pictures is making a strong case for second place. 2018's VENOM while not critically successful, raked in over $850 million and the sequel is due out later this year. Sony was quick to jump on other Spider-Man properties with a movie based on Kraven The Hunter in development and a plethora of other Spidey baddies.

One of those villains in particular was the character Morbius, known in the comics as Morbius The Living Vampire. Although the film has been in development since 2017, the success of VENOM fast tracked the picture and Oscar winner Jared Leto was cast in the lead role. Over the weekend, a photo of Leto as Dr. Michael Morbius leaked online. The results were sufficiently terrifying and now we finally have our first official trailer for the film courtesy of Sony.

I don't know about you guys but I'm cautiously optimistic about MORBIUS. The trailer looks good (and holy crap was that Michael Keaton as Vulture at the end???)however I'm not really sold on Daniel Espinosa as a director. His previous credits include LIFE, SAFE HOUSE, and CHILD 44 - not exactly stellar motion pictures. In addition screenwriters Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless have the dubious distinction of writing GODS OF EGYPT and THE LAST WITCH HUNTER, not exactly MARRIAGE STORY caliber scripts.

For those of you unfamiliar with the character Morbius, the comic follows the story of Dr. Michael Morbius, a scientist suffering from a rare blood disease. When Morbius tries to cure himself he inadvertently gives himself a form of vampirism. While the "cure" gives him increased speed and strength it also causes an insatiable lust for blood. Although the character began as a Spidey villain, he's since evolved into a tragic anti-hero. The part sounds perfectly suited for Leto who always brings a level of pathos and gravitas to his roles. Here's hoping he succeeds in the comicbook landscape better this time around than he did in SUICIDE SQUAD.

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ne...e-blood?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Xerobull and KingCheetah like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  3. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Looks like they’re going the sinister six route finally

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I in Morbius for Intellect, Insight.

GRENDEL likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Never heard of it looks pretty cool.

6. omgTHEpotential

Pretty cool looking trailer.

7. droxford

droxford Member

Whoa! A vampire movie! Never seen one of those before

Blurr#7 and B-Bob like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hollywood is really milking every last superhero/supervillain they can. My god.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hope it's not Vampsploitation -- you know... where they make Morbius strip.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

As good as Leto is as an actor, I really wish they would get a lesser-known up and coming actor instead of cycling previous actors that already had a role in a comic universe.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Bat man?

Blurr#7 and B-Bob like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lestat faints.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Remix

Remix Member

So the Joker is now a vampire...

"From the studio that brought you two movies it technically didn't make..."This is stupid. No MCU no care.

Sony needs to stop coat tailing and just quit trying to produce comic book movies. Just leave it to Kevin Feige and the MCU.

#13 Remix, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    seclusion likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sony has brought us Spiderverse and Venom. Im now a fan of Sony because of those two. Even on a lesser scale the new Spiderman "Home" movies are pretty good too. Way better than what DC has put out.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Man-bat!

B-Bob likes this.
  16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

daywalker02 and Blurr#7 like this.
  17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

But was that Vulture at the end? Seems like it ties into the Spiderman Tom Holland movies (https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/13/2...michael-keaton-vulture-tom-holland-spider-man), so could be interesting to see if there is some crossover there. And would be cool to get a slow build up to a sinister six.

Blatz likes this.
  18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Looks like ****. Can't wait to not watch it like I did Venom. I despise Sony's attempts to make their own shared universe. They need to revert the rights to Marvel (it'll never happen).

Remix likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Morbius was one of my favorite characters in Spider-Man when I was a little boy. I remember having this oversized Spider-Man comic and he was in it. The cover was from the original first appearance of Morbius.

[​IMG]

This movie looks good and I'll go see it. Leto is a great actor and has the perfect look for Morbius. Can't wait.

Morbius isn't a villain and from what I've seen, was never in the Sinister Six. I do see Sony going ahead with their Spider-Verse, so maybe the SS movie will be their Avengers with all of the characters coming together for a big brawl.

Sony did make the last two Spider-Man movies. They just exist in the MCU.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wonder whey they used For Elise as the theme.