1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Gross

napalm06 likes this.
  2. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Ok, most of us agree that MDA is not the solution for this team, unless he is seconded by an excellent defensive coach.
    But my biggest concern is ... is there any coach available that is better than MDA?

fryjol7 likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not sure how long that'll last as a Knicks head coach.

4. rockets13champs

I think if anyone can turn it around it’s her

5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

....You are peddling a talking point that only a dumb fan would. LeBron James as the coach?

But see I’m glad you said that because you just proved my point. A stupid **** take that you would’ve seen on reddit in that entire era.

A brilliantly moronic take that is borderline impossible to refute against.

That’s like me saying Rudy Guiliani is the real president. Though this is even dumber than that because there’s no aura of clandestine activity on an NBA team.

6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He IS a good X’ s and O’s coach you ****nut.

I just showed you a link to an article proving it.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Ownership was the primary driving factor in the Westbrook deal. I will have to find the quote but Morey had already told Harden he did not think the Rockets would get Westbrook and Harden said he understood.

Deuce, Pizza_Da_Hut and Remlap like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

You didn’t prove anything you slack jawed nut rider.

9. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I guess to a delusional dumbass a guy personally creating and calling the most effective ATO plays in the league is being “nOT tErrIBLy gOOd” at X’s and O’s, and then you thought saying Kerr was bad is some credibility to your dumbassness, stupid?

You don’t know **** unless someone else tells you to think it or they say it themselves. You aren’t alone here obviously. May as well accept.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Try speaking English.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

you had no point to begin with. now you drag something that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand but hey thats normal for you

Nook likes this.
  12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

So you're abandoning him because he has the laziest nickname of all time? Because you gave it to him? Meta!

Nook likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

Reeko, Nook and J Sizzle like this.
  14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I remember the "Get Riddy of Rudy" campaign. I remember "Jeff Van Dummy." "Rick Addledman."

The only Rockets coach of the last quarter century who really deserved the derision was Kevin McHale.

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

That's the question. I can only think of Van Gundy, but he never had an offense, at the end of his tenure here we hated his offense.

Who else can be available?

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

What made Kerr work is he was a fit with the talent he had. People look at successful teams and think "damn, that guy turned that thing around". Kerr was the right tool for the job. He emphasized Steph's strengths, while underscoring his weaknesses. He and Steph bought into each other, and the rest of the team followed.

Put Kerr with Harden and you ain't got anything. Kerr doesn't know how to play Harden because, well, Kerr never had that skill or knows the game well enough to use that skill correctly.

Lue, and Nurse to a certain extent, were carried and hoisted up in a weaker Eastern Conference and a depleted Warriors team at the finals. Nurse, also came into having a fairly stacked team when they flipped DeRozen. It's hard to deconvolute how much was skill, and how much was luck. I'm not high on Lue.

I will give Nurse his due, his players TPA this season have been incredible, and defense even without a lightening rod of a star has been pretty good for them too.

clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Kerr mostly deserves credit for not having the Warriors implode. He walked into a perfect spot. The offense was established by MDA's protege, Alvin Gentry. The defense was anchored by Ron Adams. Those are arguably the best offensive and defensive assistants in the league at the time.

What Kerr did for the most part was attempt to keep the Warriors players interested, and handle the media and huddle. He isn't terrible at in game substitutions. However he isn't anything special either. Kerr of all people said it best, when the Knicks fired Fizdale, he said "That could of been me" and he is completely right..... he was a failed GM with the Suns and he would have failed with the Knicks had he not backed out of that job for the Warriors job.

Deuce, Vivi and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ok, I'm going to disagree with you slightly on the Suns part, and temper it by saying Sarver is a dickface who feels oh so much like Tils. But, the rest I agree with. Kerr as a Knick would have been a disaster. He learned from Phil Jackson, try and walk into a ready made product. On the twitters he's propped up as a reason the Rockets should fire MDA and hire someone with almost zero experience, but his case is such an interesting and specific one it's hard to say it exports elsewhere.

Also, you bring up an excellent point of why the criticism toward MDA is also a bit harsh as well. He's had tons of restrictions on who is in his coaching staff too. Right now, it seems like we have a skeleton crew of assistant coaches. That can't hold up long term. I've been asking all this season of "who is in charge here?" and was eluding to just that in my post on the vectors of the team. This whole, run by committee system sounds great, but I think that in itself creates issues. Everyone from Harden and Russ, to MDA/Tils/DM can't be on the same tier. It won't work. Someone has to take control, and from what I gather they pass the baton from time to time. That muddles the focus a lot.

Because of the posters here with reading comprehension issues will inevitably read something into what I've said above that isn't there, me praising MDA or defending him doesn't mean I'm advocating keeping him passed this season. It doesn't mean he is without fault. It doesn't mean anything beyond what I said.

Nook likes this.
  19. Remlap

Remlap Member

BasketMAD be like . . . .

[mumbling] Joerger. . .master plan. . .he's the one. . time is now. . .

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I brought up the Suns, just to show that not everything Kerr touches turns to gold.

As far as the Rockets assistants are concerned. The front office targeted the top available assistants this summer and the owner balked at paying the going rate, so we were stuck with what we have. They are not terrible, just terribly average.

The Rockets built a team around Harden and Paul, and MDA developed a system to utilize them. Then suddenly the Rockets traded for a player that does not fit their personnel or system at all. On top of that, the pieces needed to integrate Westbrook into the system are not on the roster. MDA has coached fine so far.

Do I think MDA is the best coach in the league? No, I consider Brad Stevens, Kenny Atkinson, Eric Spoelstra, Mike Buddenholzer, Rick Carslile, Greg Popovich and Quinn Snyder as good or better than MDA. However, that still put MDA in the top quarter of coaches.

Deuce, clutchdabear and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.