1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denied: Rockets lose protest of Spurs game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. amaru

amaru Member

I never thought that this protest had a snowball's chance of being successful. This had little to do with the actual game and everything to do with Morey spending too much time in the league office. First with the Nene' trade exception contract, then the whole debacle in China that is continuing to cost the NBA tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue and now Morey is back complaining about something else. Silver and the rest of the NBA family are tired of Morey, and I believe that if the NBA could fire Morey and not receive any backlash he'd be out of here.

This will come back to haunt us at the trade deadline and during buyouts. The more emotional posters will b**** about "cheap Tilman" or "Morey being a bad GM" but it won't have anything to do with any of that. Morey is officially (unofficially) blacklisted. That man is public enemy #1. These kinds of things will continue to happen as long as Morey is still here. Now you are starting to see more pieces about how the Rockets have "screwed over" guys like Paul and Anthony. The media is smart, they smell blood in the water and see a chance for easy clicks. Get used to the new normal. It won't be changing for a while.

#81 amaru, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    FrontRunner, BaselineFade and payaso like this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

Harden could probably recover if he ever left Houston, but Morey is absolutely done. Morey cost a lot of people a lot of money. That kind of stuff isn't just forgotten.

3. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Too much negativity surrounding a team that's a 1/2 game behind the 2nd seed. Rockets are playing well and should be firmly in second if it wasn't for Bullshit vs the spurs. Why don't the lakers get the same heat for doing what they did to their young players, why are the warriors completely absolved from how they treated KD and traded iggy. Now today oh D'antoni isn't coming back, I call BS. Just trying to tear us down for god knows what reason. Best way to defeat it is keep playing good ball

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Durvasa has turned into a troll, he does it to play “devil’s advocate” but in reality it comes off as ignorant.

DVauthrin, Nook, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

if all of nba media and fans had a forum similar to clutchfans, one of the most popular thread on the page would be "I have grown to hate the houston rockets/morey/harden"

FrontRunner and BaselineFade like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm angry, but with all the stuff that has been going on with the Rockets, Morey should have known not to try, and save the embarrassment. Morey is part abacus so he persisted. A more savvy human GM maybe reads the room and realizes the Rockets have been dragged in the media too much for this to pass. Maybe there is some wink, wink, nudge nudge deal with the league just to not make this a thing.

Morey was silly to think all rules apply in all situations to all teams. f-cking politics, man.

Richie_Rich, Nook, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I guess you haven't frequented r/NBA

BigMaloe, jsingles, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, they ended the game tied, and lost in overtime. I’m fairly certain that is what happened.

Officials made a bad error, and it cost us 2 points. We still blew the lead we had, just as we’d all agree it was a blown lead if Harden never came up with that steal, the play never happened, and we allowed them to come back and tie the game.

9. amaru

amaru Member

The Lakers and the Warriors didn't cost the NBA and its affiliates tens of millions of dollars. But the Rockets, thanks to Daryl Morey, did.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Damn Judas's ...:cool:

Go Rockets!!!

FrontRunner likes this.
  11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

well i didnt expect them to do anything about it. the positive is hopefully this thing NEVER happens again. it shouldnt be difficult to implement something so it doesnt.

FrontRunner likes this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

**** the NBA and **** that creepy skeleton looking Adam Silver.

Nook and pippendagimp like this.
  13. 34to11

34to11 Member

THIS.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

someone w/ social media please tweet this to bullard, ackerman etc:

every single time harden dunks now, instead of doing the nosebleed act, he should waive his index finger up in a circular motion asking the refs to review it. let fuking bspn show that every night the rest of the season

15. durvasa

I'm not playing devil's advocate. My opinions here are what I believe to be true (not that I would have objected to getting the two points and a replay -- but I never believed there was a requirement that the NBA must do this). Label them "ignorant" if you like, I don't care.

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Good. Now learn not to cough up 22pt lead with two 40 million dollar players..

17. SemisolidSnake

I basically do, too. I've argued in previous threads that if you were to apply legal rigor to this whole scenario, it's obvious that the Rockets should be awarded the game or you'd have to invalidate the game. But this is not that; it's a business decision for the optimal, not the exact. For the League, awarding a game win in this case would set a majorly-disrupting precedent that would throw open the doors for just about any team to challenge just about any game. If this had happened much closer to the end of the game, I think the decision might have been different. Also, replaying from the 7:50 mark never made any sense as it was an arbitrary "solution," and it would have caused major headaches with scheduling and all sorts of other stuff.

Really, this may be best for the Rockets. They should absolutely not be given any crap whatsoever for challenging. That's completely logical when a basket was objectively not counted. Don't let anyone say challenging was the wrong thing to do. But now with this decision, it's time to simply move on quietly. If they'd been given the game win or a replay of part of it, then their blowing of that substantial lead would be front and center for the rest of time. We don't want that. Optimally, for everyone involved, it's best to just move on and play to not lose leads like that in the future.

TheFreak and TimV like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Richie_Rich, Nook, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  19. durvasa

You make some good points here. If we won the protest, and we ended up still losing the game somehow -- we'd be clowned for all eternity. And if we had won the protest and won the game, there would be a lot of disrespect thrown our way in that case too (basically, we needed a do-over to avoid the embarrassment of the fourth quarter collapse). The Rockets should just graciously accept the decision and move on from this, from a PR standpoint.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

According to ESPN, the win probability was 97-98% at the time of the miss. Not sure how much it changes with the extra 2 point.

Bearded13 likes this.