1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Call your shot on the Rockets offensive rating in 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's very easy to imagine once you realize Billy Donovan is not an NBA-level offensive coach. If MDA had last season's Thunder to coach, they would easily be top 3 too.

Having said that, it's going to be a problem having Capela (can't shoot) and Westbrook (terrible shooter) on the floor together. WB is going to have to hit 35% of his 3's or we are in trouble. I believe he will hit 35%.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Lakers, schmakers.

Already the most overrated team in the league.

I’ve always hated them, but this insane level of unearned love they’re suddenly getting has moved the needle into the “despise” zone.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wish I could share this optimism. He's shot under 30% in 4 of the past 5 seasons, and has never shot 35% in his career. I'll be beyond shocked if he can shoot 35% from 3.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

2015-16 Thunder were #2 in O Rating. They started WB, Roberson, and Steven Adams.

Needless to say MDA wasn’t the coach.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes, and 2016 is not 2020.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I agree it's an optimistic projection.

I base it on the fact that he has only had terrible offensive coaches and he is going to join the polar opposite. Add to that he's going to take more catch and shoot 3's than he's taken most of his career, which will help him 1-2% on its own. He will no doubt be working on his 3pt shot this summer.

Most players just shoot better in MDA's system, and I think Russell will have a significant swing in %. I wouldn't be surprised if he shot 30%. I just have a feeling he will surprise us in that regard, and even more so over the next 3 years.

harold bingo likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

@Clutch

maybe there's some hope. he talks about the offseason here: "next year ima become a better shooter"

bobloblaw, Clutch and harold bingo like this.
  10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

15 shot theory. In games Russ shot 15 or less he was highly efficient. OKC almost always won. Look at his Q4 splits. It was almost always late volume chucking from bad angles that ruined his percentages. When he plays under control he can wreck any opposing team.

11. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

I keep hearing this, who have we lost besides the coach (which concerns me)? Russ may or may not be a great defender all around, but he makes dynamic plays...for 82+...so I consider him a plus over the 34yr old who is obviously unreliable, and losing steps in his twilight yrs. I consider that, and the addition of Chandler and whatever else Morey gets done before the end to be positives to a defense that ended the year strong. If we have solid coaching, I think we'll be alright, maybe :D

Oh yeah sorry...15.2!

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Having good stats and efficiencies is obviously a good thing... it shows you have the ability to produce and therefor have the potential to win games...
    but chasing stats for the sake of stats is stupid and can often take focus away from the bigger picture...

I believe we have a far better ability to improve our net with a greater focus on defense - even if it means a slight slip in ofrtg.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We are just past the quarter mark of the season.

Offensive rating is currently 113.5, their lowest of the D'Antoni era. I must admit though, that is a touch higher than I expected.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It’s good enough offense to win it all given it will get slightly better.

We dipped offensively but did not see a bump defensively. That’s a problem.

Still, none of the contenders are as good as Durant’s Warriors, which is the only team that has been able to knock us out of the playoffs the past couple of seasons.

Would be such a shame for this team not to get upgraded in-season. A lukewarm buyout signing ain’t gonna cut it I think.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Hopefully when EG returns the offensive rating will come up a bit.

Pretty impressive with EG being terrible early and missing so many games.

smp and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Quite a bit higher than I expected. The defense is right around where I expected it, though, which is unfortunate.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw:

At same amount of games to start the season:
    • 2019-20: 113.5
    • 2018-19: 112.1
    • 2017-18: 114.2 (and CP3 missed 14 of these early games)
    • 2016-17: 112.9
    So, Morey's style is to disregard early season chemistry for making changes each year.

#77 heypartner, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

To win the west, defensive rating matters more.

harold bingo likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

At the time (July 13th) I don’t believe Eric Gordon and Gerald Green were injured.

I know I didn’t project to only first quarter of season......new players joining always take time to gel with returning
    players and vice-versa.

I am surprised it remains the “Harden all the time” show. I expected better efficiency from Westbrook. Even in these
    early stages of our offense. 115.7 is still capable....3 quarters yet to go. Lower 114 was where we should have been
    through November (without injuries).

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The final answer was 112.5, the lowest offensive rating for the Rockets in the D'Antoni era. Rockets were #2, #1, #2 in the league and then fell to #6 this year.

So what changed?

jordnnnn likes this.