1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In lieu of my ZERO dark internet....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 7, 2019.

1. what

what Member

The decision to go redrum on technology was many years in the making, but a few things burst the damn.
    Number 1:The internet is broken and JavaScript killed it.
    Seriously in the few days that I have actively not got on the internet, or played a YouTube video, my brain seems much more relaxed, and I can only assume that not being on the internet was the salve that soothe it.
    Secondly, Google thinks it knows what I want more than the person who it is servicing. If google had an "f-u I know what I am doing button" I would use it. It doesn't. I find myself arguing with Google products more than I argue with real life people.
    Thirdly, Google tracks you. The internet is good for one thing, tracking you. I know, the phone I have is tracking me also, but unfortunately I can't get rid of it.
    Number 2: in lieu of all of this, I switched to a linux distro a couple of years ago, but even that wasn't good enough. In short, I recently installed an OS that is essentially what a computer was originally designed to be which was basic input/output OS and ditched my web browser in the process. I have been browser-less for over 4 months now. The os of choice is Openbsd, which is basically an overpowered text editor. It can do a lot more than that, but as I am working on a book, learning basic unix unix commandline commands has made me extremely organized and productive.
    With a unix-based OS, I am in charge of my files and not the other way around.
    I have hated Microsoft Word for years because it told you what to do, so the first thing I always did with Word was to shutoff all of its suggestion-based tools, essentially making it a text editor.

Anyway, to the question at hand: since I went dark I have discovered a few of the old standbys, namely: newspapers and magazines. My question is what are some of the best magazines to buy?
    I am already planning to get the New York Times and probably Time as well. Any suggestions?

BigShasta and Xerobull like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If you stuck with Bing and MS Edge you wouldn't be having these problems.

3. what

what Member

Bing is no better and edge is using chromium engine.
    Both track you.

Ubiquitin and B-Bob like this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Everything tracks you...there's really no way to stop it.

5. KingCheetah

Honestly your big mistake was switching to Linus OS -- the favorite OS of black hat hackers. If you had gone all in with Samsung Dax you'd be a very happy netizen right now.

6. what

what Member

Dang you know all of my previous threads.
    Unix is not linux though.
    Although, and this is scary, even though my computer is not connected to the internet, somehow my clock still works.

#6 what, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  7. KingCheetah

How does it know the time if it's not connected to the internet... AI?

8. Buck Turgidson

Digital clocks...how do they work?

Ubiquitin and B-Bob like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

(Have been waiting for a What thread to deliver. This one's off to a good start.)

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when we used to use computers without internet? You’d have to take the day’s newspaper and stuff it in the disk drive to keep things fresh and up to date. Otherwise the BIOS would beep.

CCity Zero, Yung-T and SemisolidSnake like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes. In my more advanced Tandy computer, I still had to type in the time and date every morning. :rolleyes:

CCity Zero and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Only @what would go on an internet message board to leave an easily findable message about how he's going off the grid with technology, as much as possible, and how the internet, and all the tracking involved with it, is the devil.

13. what

what Member

Im on the internet until the 14th as my cycle will run out.
    Also an acceptable response: im giving the people what they want: more WHAT!!!

14. Buck Turgidson

Every time I start my truck, the clock is flashing 12:00. I got tired of constantly resetting it, so now I just use it as a timer to see how long I've been driving.

Ubiquitin, CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  15. likestohypeguy

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@what check out slickdeals.com for print subscription deals.

17. what

what Member

Wow, thanks. The first person that actually read to the end and answered the question.
    The nyt is ridiculous, they want $20 a week for a subscription, thats more than I was paying for internet. Not that I am doing this for money purposes, but I think not.
    Even the Sunday paper is $24 a month. I can get Time for about $50 for the whole year. So, you know.
    I still will probably get the nyt Sunday edition. Its a good paper.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You’re welcome. I don’t understand going Luddite as technology = efficiency for me, but good luck to you and I hope to hear some feedback on how it goes.

19. Buck Turgidson

I get:

Cooks Illustrated
    Texas Monthly
    Texas Parks & Wildlife
    The Economist

20. what

what Member

Im thinking of subscribing to the economist or perhaps National Review to balance out my politics.

Buck Turgidson likes this.