1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Good point.

When said employee has graduated magna c*m laude from Harvard and attended Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, served on congressional, gubernatorial and presidential campaigns, and served as conference director at former Defense Secretary Willam Cohen's strategic consulting firm (Wiki), it's a safe bet he wasn't just fetching coffee and donuts.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope I just know it's older and younger patients.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How about you show actual examples of Pete looking at the world in dollar and cents instead of the guilt by association.

Also what the hell does that mean?

No Worries and Nook like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All of that is true but it still does mean he was an upper level employee making decisions.

So now a president can't do anything that might make them rich?

pgabriel, Nook and Major like this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you are talking about younger patients, you are talking about Medicaid. This is a state funded program and NOT Medicare. Totally different.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pete probably learned ruthlessness at McKinsey since that's what they're known for.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I bet none of them go bankrupt or die because they couldn't afford health care. I've never heard anyone advocating Utopia, only that the most expensive health care system in the world is completely inadequate in meeting the needs of Americans.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  8. TheresTheDagger

You're right, probably not much of that. On the other hand, if you have insurance you probably aren't going to die on a waiting list for surgery here in the US for lack of available physicians either.

It's funny. The last time I dealt with health care here in the US, we could barely get my mother in to see a Dr. even though she is 92 and was suffering simply because of the backlog of patients. We got lucky there was a cancellation or it might have been weeks waiting for someone to see her (would still be waiting in fact). I can't even imagine what wait times would be like for all but extreme urgent care if we go to a Medicare for all system.

B-Bob and CometsWin both bring up very obvious problems that need to be solved. We need to find a balance between caregivers and patients without making patients go broke. The problem we keep having with our political solutions is that cost is never addressed. That is a recipe for disaster.

The video above demonstrates how out of wack health care cost is here in the US. But simply creating Medicare coverage for all doesn't address that problem. In fact, it invariably will lead to even greater inflation in health care costs. Health care for all simply equals more demand for same (or fewer providers) which leads to inflation of those goods.

I'm not saying Health Care for all shouldn't be a goal, but not the primary one. If you want to make health care for all achievable, we have to address cost first. And the tried and true method in most industries to drive costs down is...Competition. Competition breeds efficiency, which breeds inovation, which breeds lower opportunity costs, which breeds more Competition...etc etc.

Add in some national support for wellness programs encouraging health and diet and you start working on the other end...that being demand for health care services.

Lastly, tax the **** out of companies who charge outrageous prices for drugs, health services while providing tax incentives for those that find ways to lower costs. Make it profitable to charge less.

I also saw a really good idea that California is trying. They are paying for the CRIPPLING medical school bills for Dr's fresh out of Med school as long as they commit to a 5 year "residency" at places in need of providers. More of this type of thinking please!

jiggyfly, Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  9. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm not sure who you're addressing, but frankly I find 99% of what you post to be extremely confrontational. EXTREMELY.

I posted an article. Don't cuss at me, please.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Of course he's not fetching donuts, but this is absurd. The things you cite - working as a "conference director" (what is that?) and serving on campaigns were all while he was a college and grad student, half of which was in England. What kind of jobs do you think those were? He was the "research director" for a Democrat running a token race for governor of Indiana that she lost by 20 points. That's not exactly a hotly coveted role. These sound like summer internships fluffed up to make a good resume.

In the actual post-graduate job, he was paid around $95k a year at McKinsey - obviously not an intern fetching donuts, and obviously not in any kind of leadership or decision-making role. He likely had the same type of job as any other entry level analyst gets at consulting companies. We know the following:

The job took him to Iraq and Afghanistan, involved energy efficiency and greenhouse gas reduction projects, war-zone economic development work, “Canadian grocery pricing,” and work in retail and corporate settings.

That's it. Anything nefarious is purely speculation and just the result of the name of the company he worked for. And then he's villified for not violating a legal agreement he signed. It has nothing to do with him, and basically implicates anyone that's worked for a consulting company as a bad person. It's like saying anyone that works for a health insurance company must be a greedy b*stard that wants to destroy American healthcare. This goes to B-Bob's point about the need to attack the sincerity and credibility of any candidate that doesn't agree with you (not you in particular) on every single issue.

11. Major

Major Member

No - it's just the governments that are failing. Finland's government resigned earlier this year because they couldn't find a way to fix their emerging health care cost crisis. This is the 2nd time or 3rd time this has happened to them in the last few years. Denmark is having to raise retirement ages to fund their systems (to 73!). Sweden is incorporating the private sector more into their health care (and raising retirement age) to deal with their problems.

Different health care systems have different problems, but they may be just as problematic.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

This is the problem with modern politics. No evidence. No substance. Just an accusation based on the name of a company. This is why the far left routinely fails - they've basically managed to demonize the majority of the country. We can now add consultants to banks, insurance companies, health care providers, tech companies, oil companies, educational institutions, etc that are all evil. At some point soon, there's not going to be anywhere left to work that is acceptable.

Nook, Deckard, DCkid and 2 others like this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

From the "You can't make this **** up" file...the left continues to eat its own:

A Pete Buttigieg rally focused on support from the South Bend black community was interrupted and spiraled into chaos after Black Lives Matter protesters interrupted the event.

Even more interesting....the BLM "activist" who interrupted the rally for BLACK supporters of Buttiegieg was....WHITE.

Nook likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the occupation barista is still safe for a while... and blogger.

pgabriel likes this.
  15. TheresTheDagger

And anything related to entertainment.

pgabriel likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the McKinsey job is the topic of the lead editorial in the NYT today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm actually surprised the media, especially MSNBC is reporting on Pete right now to be honest.
    Usually stuff like this is swept under the rug for him. Maybe they like Bloomberg more than him now.

#498 DreamShook, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You've made some good points in this post and others on this page. I would address a few (only because you seem to have taken issue with me for sharing this story), but my intent was never to do more than casually participate in this discussion right now, as I'm losing a grip on an important project just reading replies. If that sounds like an incredibly wimpy excuse to duck a quasi-disagreement, so be it, but I must prioritize.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t think there’s that much “dirt” on Pete. He’s only 37 , hasn’t had that much time in public service , and has had a pretty spectacular “traditional” background from Serving in the military to Harvard etc ....

All the traditional markers say he’s smart and indicate that he’s probably a good guy

That being said , I don’t know what his vision for the country is . I don’t particularly like what he has to say , I think it’s kind of empty.... and I don’t think he stands a chance vs trump. One final thing I don’t like (tho this is sort of out of his control) is that the media has been pushing him down our throats (obviously depending on which channels you watch) . I remember him being on some
    Late night talk shows way back in the spring?

Granted , I already have my candidate .

I would support Pete in the general but I would go out to canvass for him or try and convince others too hard. I would for yang and potentially would for warren

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.