1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ has been bad - but he also hasn't been given a chance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Dec 4, 2019.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What exactly is MDAs game plan for RW. It seems like every other possession he's expected to iso and role play Harden at the top of the key.

It was the same with Chris Paul for two years, there's no play, Chris Paul was suppose to get switched onto someone 1v1 and either shoot and step back three to drive past him ala Harden.

Well CP lost a step last season and cant go past even big men anymore 1v1 and became a complete liability on offense.

Westbrook is now put in the same position but he never was a good iso player. Maybe Dan Tony needs to realize his iso play only works for like 5 players in the entire league.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. smp

smp Member

I don’t know what MDA’s plan is.

If he did have a plan and Westbrook followed it then MDA should be fine with the results = bad coaching.

If he did have a plan and Westbrook didn’t follow it then he should have benched him= bad coaching.

If he didn’t have a plan = bad coaching.

The bottom line is a head coach in the NBA can’t let a player run wild like that. Even James Freaking Harden got benched by McHale vs the Clippers in a playoff elimination game.

It’s frustrating how Westbrook played but I’m more upset that the coach didn’t pull him.

Lots of room to improve. Hopefully MDA will figure something out and hold his players accountable.

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

McLemore has thrived as a starter

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I got some bad news for you, pal.....

astros123, smp and RudyTBag like this.
  5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i think he has been good, his rebound and assist numbers were always going to come down, but then it is only the first half of the season and people want results straight away. Once we are fully healthy, then we will get a proper look at it. Westbrook isn't at full strength, i think his hand is still giving him problems as well. McLemore has been shooting the ball well as a starter

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought the current narrative was I was always wrong.....dang it, I can't keep up.

Russ is this year's Melo a round peg in a square hole.

DD

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The problem is the rockets can’t just “make it work”. Westbrook simply isn’t good enough. He’s not even a Top 50 player at this point.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Russ is not smart enough to not have a jump shot. Start reading books or start putting up 1000 shots a night.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rockets would make a killing as a construction company with all the Bricks Russ gives us.

Seriously this dude is GARBAGE. Took 27 shots shooting 25%. Had 11 assist, that's nice right? NOPE, boy had 8 turnovers, not good on D either.

The ONLY thing WB does well is rebound. Why, oh why, did we trade CP3, 4 first, for a man making 160+ mill who is only good at rebounding.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Hardens booiiiiiiiiiiii

He didn't like CP3. Called out James got the boot

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Harden needs to slap the TF out of himself and his boiiiiiiiiii.

13. DaDakota

Honestly if it doesn't work, I am all in favor of blowing it up trading Russ and Harden in a package deal and starting over.

By the time Russ's contract is up, Harden will be declining, the 40m per year that Russ has will kill ANY chance we have of building a QUALITY roster around Harden.

DD

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Westbrook -- 19 points, 27 shot attempts.
    Harden -- 23 points, 11 shot attempts.

Both had 6 free throws, too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

OKC will enjoy the high picks they have from the Rockets if they do that.

16. DaDakota

Yeah, but the Rockets will be contenders faster.....if this fails and it looks like it....basically this trade SHUT Harden's window for a chip

DD

17. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Russ with another Triple double to beat the World Champ!!! Recognize greaatn ess

Ming The King, hakeem94 and DaDakota like this.
  18. DaDakota

LOL - yep.

DD

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Westbrook has absolutely no clue to attack vulnerable defenses.

He has one speed, one style, and he does the same damn thing no matter how the defense looks. He was playing 4 on 3 tonight, and still shot poorly...27 times. He should have had 20 assists tonight. I just can't for the life of me see us winning a best of 7 with this guy next to Harden.

The frustrating thing is how close he is to being really valuable. Just the slightest bit smarter with shot selection, but he just can't f**king do it.

ilias, ThatBoyNick, smp and 2 others like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hey guys, you might not have noticed, but... we won.

Some of you acting like Westbrook's bad shooting night completely ruined a hard-fought WIN against the world champs on their home court.* Our defense was solid and the effort was really good most of the night.

I'm actually proud of how these guys responded after their letdown in San Antonio. Can't wait to see what happens when EG gets back and takes some of the pressure off Russ. It would have been nice tonight to see Eric get at least half of the shot Westbrook was taking.

* Sure, the Raptors no longer have Kawhi, but the Clippers don't have him half the time, either.

joshuaao, JayGoogle, Deuce and 4 others like this.