1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Screaming A Smith And Max Kellerman Debate If Harden Is The Greatest Scorer In This Era

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Don’t tell me you think Curry is a better scorer than KD...

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden is a better scorer than Durant in terms of over a course of an entire season. But in terms of a single possession, I trust Durant to score the bucket more than Harden. Durant is a more versatile scorer who doesn't really have a weakness in his scoring ability where the defense can find a strategy to shut him down. The main difference is that Durant hasn't bought in to the 3 and layup/foul offense that maximizes points throughout an entire season with a large sample size. He will take a lot of long twos and that probably is what prevents him from having these ridiculous 35+ ppg averages. He also isn't as crafty as Harden in showing the refs he's getting fouled. Harden is more adept at that. So he doesn't maximize how many fta he could possibly get. When a defender hand checks Harden, he forces the refs to call it by immediately making his move and either hooking is arm while driving or swinging up for the shooting motion. Durant does this sometimes but he isn't nearly as adept at doing it as often and precisely as Harden.

But ya, I'm going to trust Durant to put the ball through the hoop in a single possession vs Harden. He's a more talented bucket maker if you ignore the maximization buy in by Harden and the adeptness to forcing refs to actually call fouls.

I'll trust Durant far more in a closing stretch of a game. I'll trust Harden to produce throughout the course of a season though.

#22 fchowd0311, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  3. Audioout

Audioout Member

Well...he was. He scored more with a better 3 point percentage and free throw percentage by a lot. There isn't a single season Durant outscored Curry per game.

He shot way fewer free throws than Durant and also had a much higher effective field goal %.

I don't know where this revisionist history of an unstoppable Durant comes from. I remember a Durant that wouldn't even cross half court when his team was down. I remember a Durant that was letting Beverly stop him until he remembered he was 7 feet tall. I remember a Durant that choked worse than Harden ever did against the Warriors.

#23 Audioout, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019