1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Greenberg: The refs should go back and look at it and change it at the next timeout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Dec 4, 2019.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Didn't say the points weren't valid. Just felt we deserved that lost for the poor play in the 4th Qtr. It should've never came down to those 2 points with a 8 point lead at 1.07 left in the game.

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Not at all Bro, it's a game played horribly in the 4th qtr by our best players. Lesson learned, move on, play great tonight and beat the Draptors!

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’m fine with no outcomes being changed for this crazy situation.

But the reasons for no outcome change CAN NOT be surrounded by who the teams are and how the game played out. Which really is a lot of what I’m hearing.

“Shut up whiny Rockets, you should have won anyway....”

That’s not an acceptable response.

vlaurelio and heypartner like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That wouldn't be an acceptable response by the league. That is the response of neutral non Rocket fans and it is a take that Rocket fans would have for any other team given the same exact circumstances (star players averaging 14 fta, notorious for foul hunting, perception of always whiney about the refs, 22 pt collapse etc).

5. HP3

HP3 Member

That goes both ways, there are fan bases out there who would absolutely ask for a protest. I dont care who thinks about how whiney we are. I care about winning.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

What I miss in this whole conversation is common sense and human aspect of refereeing. Who cares about the rules? You really think the NBA would’ve reprimanded Capers for reviewing it and giving the Rockets 2 points?! The answer is a guaranteed no so regardless of the rules, they should’ve looked at it, especially after all that talk. By not doing it referees abused their power.

vlaurelio, hakeem94 and FrontRunner like this.
  7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I agree with you that many probably in real time thought it was a missed dunk but the key difference in this situation vs the other types of missed calls is that this directly resulted in 2 points. Being out of bounds or not crossing half court line, etc. those don't directly result in 2 points. The following activities after may have but the missed call itself did not. Even if we talk about a missed goal tending call, there is more subjectivity here on whether the ball was on it's way down, etc. There is no opinion on whether the ball cleared the rim on harden's dunk. There is not one person that is saying "The ball did not go through hoop".

8. Handles

Handles Member

I didn’t watch the video but I’m honestly just baffled they didn’t give us 2 points at the next dead ball.

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Would you feel the same way about a scoreboard malfunction? Let's just say at some point the scoreboard decided to remove 2 points from the rockets score due to some glitch. Would you lump that in the same category as the refs missing a call?

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they were doing it for noble reasons tho... the more they screw the rockets the better financially off is the league...naba casuals hate the rockets and want them hurted

11. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Its not the point that it was a missed call. The fact is that Coach challenged it and they would not let him. That's what makes this different.

Hakeemtheking and vlaurelio like this.
  12. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

So next time Rockets come back from a large deficit.... you know... them games where the fans are baited to continue watching.... next time, when we come up short and lose by 2 points, will people say we should have won for causing the other team to lose a big lead? Last time I checked, losing big leads is an indication for future playoff disappointments, not a prescription for who should win a game. Count the bucket and give us the win. Or, don't count it and give the team concessions including promises that Scott Foster, Mike Callahan, and Derrick Stafford can never referee a Rockets game again, and that James Capers be placed on probation until he gets his eyes checked.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

So let's ignore the refs not applying the rules correctly or the missed calls (playing to both sides here).

There have been instances in the past where the league automatically deducts an assists or a rebound or even a point when things were incorrectly done. I am talking after the game, the next day, when someone thought they had a triple double but then it's erased once the league went back and looked.

Why has James Harden's two points not been given to him, thus correcting the score which would mean the game should not have gone to overtime? It's really that simple.

Here is one example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nb...-lebrons-stats-costing-him-triple-double/amp/

Does this no longer happen?

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Changing an assist or switching a rebound from one player to another doesn’t affect the game outcome.

Awarding a team a made basket which didn’t count during the game does, and therefore is trickier to change after the fact. Requiring teams to replay nearly a quarter of basketball and voiding 18 minutes of basketball played previously is a major undertaking.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

So are you telling me that if the Rockets win this game by 20, the league should have given James the two points since it would of not had any affect on the final outcome, but yet since this game was tied at the game of regulation this rule should no longer applied because it will change the outcome?

You are the king of impartiality, I expect you to be on my side this time.