1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

That would be great. I doubt it happens.

If Hinch and the Astros gets the hammer dropped on them, while Cora, Beltran, the Sox and Yankees: hell, any other cheating team in MLB, skate...I'll have to reconsider how much time, money, and energy I choose to give MLB.

Absolute garbage that Manfred isn't even trying to see if other teams were cheating.

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I like to think Manfred is prolonging the investigation in order for the hype surrounding this to die down. I was very much upset about this as much as the next Astros fan back in early November but now I've hardly thought about it the past few days. I don't know if any of you feel the same.

3. msn

msn Member

If dude doesn't bring the hammer, the uproar of whining and villainization from the media will last at least two weeks.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The Red Sox used more technology than the Astros. The Astros banged on trashcans to relay stolen signs but the Red Sox used Apple Watches to relay stolen signs. If they only find evidence the Astros did this in 2017 then their punishment shouldn't be any worse than what the Red Sox got and there wasn't an uproar on the Sox punishment.

SuraGotMadHops and desihooper like this.
  5. msn

msn Member

I didn't say the whining would be logical. Just loud.

marks0223 likes this.
  6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Especially if the 'stros stopped after the Red Sox punishment and edict to stop came down from Manfred.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It really seems like the Astros didn't stop, and that's what has Manfred seeing red.

astros123, Gray_Jay and RustyHarden like this.
  8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Agreed, and that the Astros were stupid enough to have a paper trail of their, e.g., inducing scouts to see if they could see signs and sign communication protocols, is going to cost them dearly. It should. I'm thinking a draft pick or three this year, which is another reason Manfred needs to get on the stick about what he plans to do to them.

What I object to is talk like banning Hinch from the League, suspending the whole team, taking away their entire draft, etc... Never mind silliness like yanking the 2017 title from Houston. This isn't college, and USC, to pick on them, is still the national champion that year. No matter what their little record book says.

lw17 likes this.
  9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

USC or Louisville?

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I was thinking of the whole Reggie Bush thing. Ridiculous. I went to college in CA, but much further north. Not a big college fan in any event, though it's nice to discuss.

Always thought it funny that such a wealthy college was smack dab in the middle of one of the nastier 'hoods in the LA area.

11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I typed in Astros on Google and not a single result OR any of the scrolling articles on "top stories" is about the cheating scandal. :cool:

Edit: Except for that one New Republic article. But that's ONE. And even then appeared to be sort of a back-handed compliment that the Astros were smarter than anyone about "gathering data", unless the evidence comes out.

#751 htwnbandit, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    lw17 likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think baseball fans are the most book savvy group among the big four.

Not sure how people could be alarmed at this "cheating epidemic" after the big silent fart that was the decades long roid scandal.

So yeah, the damage probably larger on the league than the Astros. It would be better to reform that rule than punishing the Astros heavily as a ham fisted excuse to make an example to an open secret for a hard to enforce, easy to break rule.

13. msn

msn Member

...liked for "silent fart"

Rock Block likes this.
  14. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

At least JD Davis isn't snitchin...
    https://www.barstoolsports.com/bars...im-using-the-garbage-can-banging-to-get-a-hit
    Here's JD's quote if people don't wanna give clicks.

J.D. Davis hasn’t heard from MLB in their investigation into the Astros’ alleged illegal sign stealing tactics, and said he isn’t expecting an inquisition.

The Mets acquired Davis from the Astros before last season. Davis played sparingly with Houston’s major league club in 2017, when the alleged incidents occurred. He also had a limited role for the club in ’18.

“I have no idea, I was kind of the freshman among the seniors,” Davis said. “I have no idea what was going on or what’s really happening. That is MLB’s investigation.

“I wasn’t aware of anything and even if there was I wish I would have known, because I batted only .180 or .200 or something like that, but I really have no clue.”

#754 RustyHarden, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  15. msn

msn Member

16. HTown2017Champs

BTW, "that guy" does not refer to JD Davis. "That guy" is that idiot Hubbs from Barstool Sports. They're all idiots at Barstool. East coast scum with clear and obvious bias towards their East Coast teams. Screw em all.

Rock Block, raj87, htwnbandit and 6 others like this.
  17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

All of East Coast Barstool does that trying to get Yankee fans to catch on. This is an everyday post on Twitter. You get used to ignoring it and even Yankee fans rag on Barstool calling them garbage. Just ignore those dorks.

18. msn

msn Member

Well aware. Screw him and his stupid barstool.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  19. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I used that link after reading his quote from 2 sources. That one provided the footage of him batting with the trash can tactics audible. The fact that he went on record of being ignorant is positive. So far only Fiers has publicly outed us.

Edit- I think Beltran & Cora being managers of teams in biggest markets will help us fade major punishment...

HTown2017Champs and Rock Block like this.
  20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I don’t have the story on hand maybe someone can post it but Pete Rose basically said the whole thing seemed like BS because the whole thing couldn’t be relayed within 2 seconds. He’s doing a signing at the Fiterman Sports store at Baybrook Mall so that’s why he’s in the area and giving his 2 cents.

Marteen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.