1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Rockets won last night ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if people were going to do this or that. It doesn't matter if the situation was different. Those are all hypotheticals. Yes, let's say no one would protest if we won.

This happened. Those are our 2 points. At the bare minimum we deserve a replay. Points, possession, player mood, crowd, refereeing, everything changes.

Replay or next game, we are going to crush them on the floor next time, and they know it.

Now let's move on because it's never going to happen.

D-rock likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I get it Durvasa, you're thing is to be the "I'm not a homer let me prove it!" but dude...

[​IMG]

#62 justtxyank, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Zergling and Fyreball like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Would we deserve a replay if we lost by 5 points in regulation? Would we deserve a replay if we were up 20 when this happens and somehow lost? Would we deserve a replay if the play happened in the first quarter, rather than 8 minutes left in the game?

These are the sort of questions the league office needs answers to. We are focused on our specific situation, I get it, but the league can't be.

The question I posed at the beginning of the thread highlights the fact that this isn't simply about a missed basket that invalidates the rest of the game. It's about a missed basket that disadvantaged a team that eventually lost the game. How does the league assess the extent of that disadvantage? The Rockets were still up big even with the basket taken away -- and statistically probably had a greater than 90% probability of winning the game even with the disadvantage. Does the league take that into account?

4. Mathloom

No one cares, this is not a logical way of making an assessment.

What happened is we scored 2 points and we weren't awarded 2 points. You may need those answers for your own curiosity, but it is not a requirement for the league awarding 2 points when the ball goes through the hoop in an NBA game.

5. durvasa

Not sure I understand what you're saying here.

The league cannot just give us what we're asking for without also considering what that would imply about other scenarios. There has to be a consistent set of conditions they go by for resolving things like this. And those conditions must be applicable in the scenarios I described. Do you disagree with that?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I also dun mind them reviewing the last 10 years of bad calls, missed calls.

Not going to happen, but it is going to be interesting if league office at least hears the Rockets out or not.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Umm hmm all of that from a missed 2 point dunk with an 8 point lead in 1.07 left in the game... Wow, we are becoming delusional

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

No Captain.

Ratings are down 23% from last year this time on natl TV games on TNT and -20% ESPN.

I'm saying this is a tiny piece of the puzzle. But make no mistake- it is a puzzle piece. And most teams usually have their own examples of this officiating bs at some point in the season-regular or postseason

And no it's not just a cable tv subscriber-decline issue.

#68 Tfor3, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. Mathloom

They absolutely, unequivocally could give us the 2 points without considering other scenarios. We put the ball in the basket in an NBA game. There is no need for any further investigation, comparison, precedence, nothing.

That has never and will never be a grey area unless the entire credibility of human refereeing is wiped from the game.

We can act like we live in invisible boxes, but the ball went through the basket. The humongous screen in the arena immediately replayed it. Several people told them immediately. A replay center filled with rules experts were waiting to be called on. Anything other than 2 points after that is ridiculous.

There is an argument to be made about whether we should just be given the win. There is no argument that we should have gotten 2 points and that it altered the natural trajectory of the game in a way that is abnormal to the history of the NBA.

10. durvasa

Again, I don’t understand what you want. If your argument is that the NBA must allow us to replay the game only because it “altered the natural trajectory of the game in a way that is abnormal to the history of the NBA” — and other contextual factors don’t matter — then it follows that you must think the league must permit replay of the remainder of the game in all the scenarios I listed. All I’m asking is for you to affirm that is what you believe. If you are unwilling to do so, then I must question your commitment to the argument you are making.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If a basketball falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, what is the sound of one hand clapping?

J Sizzle likes this.
  12. Mathloom

I have no interest in the hypothetical exercise of what would have happened if so and so happened, or whether it's comparable to missed fouls or whatever else you listed. Perhaps there might be other reasons to replay a portion of a game, as was the case with the Shaq game vs Hawks years ago. What I'm telling you - and at this point I'm certain you understand - is that it would be an added layer of absurdity to now claim that prior or future events should affect whether or not they count 2 points scored cleanly and which they immediately knew was true.

We scored 2 points. Those two points are not reflected in our scoring total. It's not reflected in Harden's scoring total. That documentation is a false historical record, and it was verifiable within seconds of happening. It should be corrected now, regardless of whether similar things have ever been done before or might happen in the future.

13. durvasa

I’m perplexed why you are reluctant to answer the question of what you think should happen if, in this game, the missed score happened in the first quarter rather than in the fourth. Why should I accept your reasoning if you don’t want to apply it to another case that could have easily played out instead?

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm with you here. If it was an argument as to whether it was a 2 or a 3, you can bet they would've handled that correctly.

15. SemisolidSnake

No. The Spurs were not objectively denied points. The replay from 7:50 thing, as I've said in other posts, is an arbitrary placation, but it's certainly doesn't solve or compensate for the actual problem of missing points. Everything besides "the Rockets are missing two points" is subjective speculation about how things might have turned out.

In a way, it may actually be good that this all happened in such dramatic way. If the Rockets won or the Spurs came back and won by a lot, nobody would be talking in any depth about the how the refs failed in the absolutely most fundamental way you can fail in referreeing the sport of basketball.

durvasa likes this.