1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Marisnick traded to Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 5, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good luck in NY.

#21 J.R., Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I got trashed for several pages in the offseason page for even suggesting moving Brantley. Nobody wants to hear it but it makes some sense. He's only signed for one more season and his value is high. If the Astros are going to lose a bunch of draft picks from trash can gate, moving Brantley could help soften the blow to the minor league system and free up cash to resign Springer and/or sign a free agent pitcher.

3. vince

vince Member

I don’t know much about the guys we traded for, but I am happy to see those that follow MILB league wide, are happy with the return.

Marisnick has been such a great player and personality on the team, but unless we are talking about core guys, this is part of the process. Still sad to see him traded away, since he has been so much fun to watch (those defensive highlight catches live on in YouTube)

raining threes and lw17 like this.
  4. AB_KIAd_myCar

AB_KIAd_myCar Member

Trade Hector Rondon for a nicer trash can

5. Nook

Nook Member

I don't have an issue moving Brantley as long as the offense is made up at another position. What made the offense dangerous last year (before the injuries) was the depth of the lineup. Brantley was part of that.

Moving Reddick and Brantley takes 31 million dollars off the books for 2020. That is a lot of money. You throw on the 3 million from Jake and that is a lot of money.

6. Fantasma Negro

Hopefully he replaces Reddick

raining threes, Nook and lw17 like this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Nah playa not the springer or brantley .

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If Luhnow dumps Reddick's contract without fleecing our minor leagues he should win GM of the year before the season begins. I 100% expect him to be on the roster as the 26th man. I hope I am wrong.

I suggested possibly trading for Mancini if they moved Brantley. He's just entering arbitration and controlled for 3 seasons. The Astros also tried to get him at the deadline last year.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

Corona is raw but has upside as a lotto ticket.
    Me lovin Blake Taylor! LHR, good numbers in AA, former 2nd round pick (so there's upside).
    Clear some $$$, and first step in clearing the OF logjam. Good luck Jake! Next, I'd like to flip Reddick to the White Sox and get Gavin Sheets as a 1B prospect.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Honestly, I’m starting to like the idea of Brantley/Springer/Tucker starting with Straw/Reddick backing up. Straw can be a game changer and really push for playing time. I’m not in love with the idea of trading for Buxton. He’s just...his biggest assets (speed, Defense) seem to be the cheapest things to replicate. I don’t want Buxton starting in Center...his bat is too bad.

Moving Brantley is an interesting notion. His value is high, but he seems more valuable to us than what we could get for him. This is our window. I don’t see us moving all-star caliber players unless we’re really blown out of the water. Maybe a team bites the bullet on one year of Brantley, but I don’t think that great offer is coming.

#31 awc713, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    vince and Madmanmetz like this.
  12. AstrosRockets1818

Straw also provides additional help in the infield for late inning games when we are up a lot or injuries.

raining threes and vince like this.
  13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Brantley is a pro lefty hitter. We need him in this lineup and he is worthy every penny. Unless Lunhow gets a ransom haul Brantley stays for the window next season. He could win a batting title for all we know. You don't replace those lefty numbers easily.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jake was probably my favorite player so this really sucks. Loved watching him play defense and he just seemed like a really cool guy.

That said, it seems like they got decent value for him and Straw certainly seems like he could be a better option as the reserve OF given he is equivalent defensively, is a better base runner, can play more positions, and is not any worse with the bat.

Taylor is a good get. They sure have loaded up on short season international outfielders.

dmoneybangbang and Joshfast like this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

In a milli-heartbeat, I would do this over and over. I'd trade Yuli for him, it would hurt, a lot, but I'd do it.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Hate to see him go, but he should get better playing time in New York. It’s probably a good move for Jake.

whiskeyred and dmoneybangbang like this.
  18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Buxton would be a huge add

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

What are you wearing, Jake from Rake Farm?

Mets jersey

20. vince

vince Member

Very good tweaking move. Straw has speed to burn, and will likely get to make a few of his own highlight reels. Plus Straw can play in the infield. Also, he is the ideal base runner when you need an edge to score one run....

We get a left handed pitcher, who is AAA and very close to the MLB.

Plus, Luhnow finds a way to infuse talent in the lower minors. People seem very excited about his potential.

Maisnick was such a good player, but the reality of pro sports is that guys who aren’t cornerstones will find themselves changing teams a few times in their career.