1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Luka Lebron 2.0?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealAllpro, Nov 4, 2019.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Never thought that a pudgy 6-7 20year old with below average speed, jumping ability, first step, lateral movement and size, could be avg 30/10/10 on 63% TS.[/QUOTE]

It is limited. My statement of Doncic's play being amzing and unbelievable was in reference to this current season... which has only been 15 games. While I became a doncic fan during his rookie season, his level of play last year isnt remotely in the same universe as what he is doing right now. Last year he was very good for a rookie/19 year old... this year he is playing like a top 5 player in the entire league and arguably the best 20 year old in the history of the nba. Which is crazy and amazing and yes this is occuring in a limited sample size, namely 15 games.

I've no doubt Doncic will continue to be very good to great the rest of the season, but I doubt he'll be able to maintain this historic level. It'll be interesting to see what his numbers will end up at (over under Lebron's 2nd season) but it'll be fun to watch him achieve it.

2. dmoneybangbang

I hate the Hawks so much.....

...I really wish I could root for the kid.

fallenphoenix and plutoblue11 like this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He's the non-bitter Larry Bird version of Lebron. Better rebounder and shooter than Lebron. He's shooting well over 50% from 3 feet to the 3pt line which is pretty amazing. I see his 3 point shot developing in a couple years. He'a a good defender too.

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Luka vs Bron vs Giannis fans fighting it out for MVP this year.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tuned in to the Clippers Mavs game tonight to see what all the hype is about..

4-13 from the field, airballs, and more turnovers than assists...

...and fat. Like seriously fat.

Dude looked like he had stopped by every single Denny's on the way to the game and cleaned them up.

A true Mavs player if I ever seen one lol.

Porky the Rapist deserves better.

Jontro likes this.
  6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You shoulda

An Atlanta team coming through in the clutch, as usual.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think Zion would've fared better, and crushed anyone the Clippers through at him, like Shaq.

It's one game on b2b, let's calm down.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  8. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

On Luka-Harden comparison and how much fouls Luka is drawing: Tell me which of these three fouls from yesterday's game against Minnesota have been called!

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't matter what is called. He's attempting to draw contact on drives and 3s ... just like Ginobody and Harden.

The time will come with the LA fans and Warriors fans will gang up on him, and he'll be bashed for foul hunting. Strap-in Luka fans -- California owns the NBA narratives. He will be bashed and become known for foul-hunting ... but not nearly as bashed as Harden is.

-------------- Don't shoot the Messenger ---------------

His style appears to be the simple bumping into guys foul-hunting, both drives and 3s. Harden method on drives is much different. Pretty much, unlike any player in history, he has developed a way to show the ball by extending his arm, which requires the strength to still hold on and shoot through fouls and through solid defense.

Showing the ball like Harden does, imo, is a much more pure and honest way to draw fouls, because Defenders actually want you to show the ball to them, and they are trained to go for steals on exposed balls. It's very risky for Harden to expose the ball out front of him on drives like he does, thus, no one else even attempted in the past. Take Ginobody for instance. He carried the ball like a fullback, to get through double teams safely, and didn't expose the ball until beginning his shooting motion.

Ginobody's way and (so far) Luka's way to draw contact isn't as likely to draw fouls, because they are just not capable of showing the ball like Harden, to attract instinctual swipes at the ball by defenders. And they *are* fouls of the arm, as plan as day.

The NBA media and fan whiners about Harden getting swiped on the arm during drives 4-5 times per game leading to 10 FTs is just whining...and doesn't appreciate exactly how hard it is to expose the ball like that without turnover. I mean, the defenders actually want you to expose the ball like him, versus Ginobody cradling and Luka keeping the ball high.

10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

On these three drives, defenders can’t stop him with any other method but fouling. Same as with Harden, most of the fouls on Luka are actually real fouls.
    Btw, none of the above three fouls were called.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Didn't I agree?

He's a superstar; he'll get his calls...and California will villify him, once Mavs become a threat as a team.

Strap-in Luka fans.

(fwiw: the last one is not a foul during drive, but often called. That's Luka jumping into a defender. Foul on the floor during rebounding. No FTs would have been awarded.)

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I ****ing hate Mavs fans.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Larry Bird, ok. Lebron? No.

You realize all of Bron's batchmates have either retired or turned into scrubs right? Yet Lebron is still an MVP candidate after 16 yrs of NBA ball. His longevity is gonna be his defining trait cuz while other players have been stat stuffers like him nobody else has kept their peak this long except Jabbar and guys in the old times.

Doncic is pretty good so far but we dont really know how long his career will last he has been playing pro ball since he was 15.

14. omgTHEpotential

Agreed. I also think that neither Doncic nor Ginobili could pull off what Harden is doing (by extending his arms) as efficiently as him, even if they really tried. The main reason is, Harden is able to pull it off because he's using his physical gifts to perfection. Aside from the strength (which neither Manu nor Luka come close in), Harden has a mammoth 6'11 wingspan (that's basically a power forward's wingspan). That's a 4-5 inch advantage over Manu/Luka. This is a big reason why it's so tough to strip him (without fouling) in addition to the strength and craftiness that James possesses.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, Luka has to find other ways to draw fouls......he might not have that wing span but his strength is okay I think for a Euro.

Needs to get stronger and even less body fat.

Manu just reverted back to being the Sixth man....so he won't be on the same level as the other 2, but those other 2 learned from him for sure.

16. PatBev

PatBev Member

The great white hope in sports

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at Larry Bird comparisons. This is comical.

Zboy and plutoblue11 like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

Luka should take a page out of Ex-Rockets Legend Kyle Lowry.

I didn't know double flopping was possible. :D

[​IMG]

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I think it's because they both look like they just left their house after having a great time with their sister.

That's where the similaries end.

Euro Trash meets Hick from French Lick.

Bird would trash talk about Luka's sister all day long and make him cry.

Mavs suck.

King1 likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

Is he really more like Eduardo Najera 50.3 1/3?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.