1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charging Fouls need to be reduced or eliminated entirely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Dec 4, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's another option. Flopping is a technical foul. The NBA almost never enforces it. If it's too hard to call in the heat of the game - Why not retroactively enforce it with suspensions and fines?

For these I'm taking the obvious Derek Fisher ones, the ones where guys go down like a gunshot victim in the post, the Chris Paul grab facehud and jump backwards etc

Stephen_A likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

How about bringing back hand checking and change offensive foul rules? Bring back real defense.

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

People don’t fall in basketball if they didn’t flop. Like my recent post said. Just ridiculous grown ass men fall down when someone drives the lane. It’s just not that easy to knock someone down. Lol

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We might have been one of the teams that started this trend. I’m thinking of those teams with Battier, Hayes, Scola, Landry, and Lowry. They were drawing charges left and right.

5. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

No charges in the paint, it's that simple. You can still have an offensive foul on pushoffs and lowered shoulders.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

this is actually a very valid point, I loathe when refs make a big ****ing deal about calling a late game charge. Joey crawford dances immediately come to mind

TimDuncanDonaut and B-Bob like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously I am torn on this issue. I do agree with the OP that charging calls are getting nearly out of hands. However, I don't think you should abolish charging fouls. By doing that, you encourage reckless driving to the basket. And I hate that. Defensive fouls are being called too easily already. If you take away the charge, the drive is pretty much impossible to defend.

One way to balance it is to reinstate the hand check, and make it harder to get a charge (e.g. you really have to stand still). The game would be more physical, but also would minimize letting officiating decide 50/50 crucial plays.

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Dancing with the Stars.

[​IMG]

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you eliminate charging this becomes an entirely different sport. Every play would be a fullback attacking with a full head of steam. People don't do it now because of the charge rule, the league would adapt and anything resembling the skilled game we see now would vanish. Players who could maintain control through heavy contact would immediately become the best players in a very, very ugly sport.

The charge rule is like the cops, you don't exactly love having all of it's warts, but it's absolutely necessary. Maybe some tweaks, but judgement is always gonna be necessary.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like Accepting cheating as a part of the game

I don't like the modern charge because:
    1. It's iffy and Ref arbitrary. 5 refs see the same play and you get 5 call. Gives Refs the ability to point shave/cheat/control the game
    2. It encourages players to slide under other players. Injury concerns
    3. No Landing Space - A players jumps from the free throw line and does a floater where he lands at the semi circle . .. . the opposition falls down when the players lands and they wave off the baskets . .. .the offensive player was not OUT OF CONTROL . . the offensive player should be allowed to land. . .. there was no defense played there . . .. just acting . . .which leads to
    4. Defensive flopping is far far more prevalent than offensive flopping. Watching these guys flop flop flop and be rewarded for it. . .then hey

WHY IS IT: Harden is hunting for fouls = THE MOST EGREGIOUS THING EVER IN LIFE IT SELF
    Smart Hunting for charges and offensive fouls by flopping - THAT'S JUST GOOD DEFENSE

If you are to believe this to be true. . .. BOTH ARE ACTING AND NOT MAKING A REAL BASKETBALL PLAY!!!

Rocket River

rgw20014life likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This!
    "Harden doesn't play real basketball . .. he just flops and flails"
    meanwhile
    "Smart's fool the ref there. . .that is just smart defense"

What???

Rocket River

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The league has lessened the role of the big man
    If you playing a soft zone . . . .with a man at the basket for last line of defense
    in yesteryear . . .that man was a shot blocker . . . rim intimidator
    Now - This player would probably foul out in about 3 quarters - because they active and trying to play defense
    NOW
    That person can be a 6'6 guy who's only job is o run in front of the drivers and flop backwards on contact
    This person is in the game to the end and probably is 50/50 on the defensive to offensive foul ratio

I'd bet money that analytics would say going for the charge and flopping
    is far more efficient than attempting to block the shot

Rocket River

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

LeBron James on the Heat, He Flopped his way to the Finals. Literally.

15. durvasa

I think the increase in charges drawn in the paint (if that in fact is happening, I haven't seen numbers on it) is likely a consequence of the way the game has changed towards more spread-out offense, less classical paint rim protectors, and no hand-checking. The defense has no choice but to try to draw more charges.

Personally, I'm in favor of players being able to draw charges in the paint as a check against these current trends. It makes the mid-range more valuable, which I think is good for the game in terms of diversification. Players like Harden need to adjust.

16. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

People complain about Harden looking to draw a foul.

Than applaud players that have no intention to make a play on the ball, they jump in front of the slasher, and are only looking to draw a foul. Strange hypocrisy

SamFisher likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wait ... let's not forget the wild increase of shooting threes throughout the NBA -- increased 3PAr. That's the biggest trend, thus, less drives actually and less low post to take charges.

And you're saying illegal defense clearouts (AI, Stackhouse, Francis and Mobley) didn't create charging opportunities by help defense, but spread-out offenses do? They both do equally. And the trend of eradicating illegal defense led to more opportunities to get defenders in the lane.

This constant belief that it's easier to drive based upon rules changes is also a casual fan's perception of defense in the NBA. The plethora of advances in utilizing zone principles ("Build a Fukking Wall" -- Thibadeaux) led to the need to add spacing to the game...and it led to the value of 3&D players over pure-shooters who can't defend. This all has created a beautiful balance in offense and defense progression through the 00's and 10's.

The increased scoring as of late is due to analytics proving that has wildly increased 3PAs in the game, and these 3&D players getting better looks. Not because driving is easier for no hand-checking vs eradication of illegal defense. That's such a shallow view of NBA history, imso.

------------------------------------------
    Here is a classic reason why the Restricted Area was created to offset a trend.

#37 heypartner, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  18. durvasa

The way the game has changed means defenses are less likely to have players that can defend at the rim versus on the floor. You don't have 7-footers parked around the basket waiting to deter drivers.

As for the frequency of drives to the basket in today's game, I'd be interested to see the numbers if they are there. If would guess there are proportionately more drives on 2-point field goal attempts today than 20 years ago, just due to the reduction in post-ups and midrange shots.

19. rockets13champs

I agree

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Although a trend had already caused the Restricted Area being created in ~1997, Pippen's showing in the Finals set the bar even higher to follow.

I believe this is the first year of the Restricted Area