1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ has been bad - but he also hasn't been given a chance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Dec 4, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

PFFFT - I was driving the train that had the light on it....

;)

DD

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sarcastic clapping.gif

snowconeman22 and BaselineFade like this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Well one of them shooter is Harden and he doesn’t move off the ball so Russ is being sabotaged

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Respectfully you act like we dodnt know who westbrook was before we traded for him. Hes always been a bad shooter. That was never a strength of his. Fortunately he has a lot of other strengths. It is up to coach to find a way to put wesbrook in a position to suceed and its up to westbrook to take andvantage of it. Its probably fair to say both need to do better.

But lets face it, MDA id not really making the adjustments necessary to take advantage of the things webrook does well. In fact one of my longstanding criticisms of MDA is that is not very good at making in game adjustments

JVL713, smp and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"I LOVE BEING RIGHT ABOUT THE ROCKETS LOSING!!!!!" - DaDakota the Rockets #1 Fan
    [​IMG]

I know once DaDakota has turned everyone around. . . . .We know his philosophy
    "When everyone's a hater . . . .. . . .no one will be . . ."

[​IMG]

Rocket River

DaDakota and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The adjustment is to sit Russ or Sit on him in the 4th.
    He generally seems to be ok . . .. until the 4th
    or maybe we are more tolerant in the first 3 quarters

Rocket River

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah a bunch of people around here didn't. that much is certain. it's amazing how many people turned the blind eye in an instant.

you don't use the system as a way to defend the move for westbrick being a great move and then turn right around and use it against him on why its not a great fit. duh, it was never going to be a ideal fit to begin with. you were already plugging a square peg in a round hole. and now people are still shocked trying to find out why. its not a surprise

#1 problem from day 1, westbrick can't adjust whatsoever. that's the first problem he himself needs to solve. He doesn't adjust to being more efficient in his shot attempts. he doesn't adjust to his broken jumper. he's also horrible on defense, especially in schemes. plays the exact same way no matter where, with who, and against. if he ever learned to adjust and put aside his ego, he'd contribute in a much larger fashion to winning basketball. but he's 31 on the decline, so there's not much to look forward to when his game is based mostly on athleticism rather than actual skill and high bball iq

#87 YOLO, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

It looks like westbrooks does not know how to defence. Can defensive coach teach him?
    Inaccuracy shooting and poor defence
    no chance can win
    waste harden effort

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I remember a stat from when he was in OKC that shooters see a dip in % when they play with him.

Honestly, just need him to cut out the mid range. We can live with roughly average efficiency in exchange for blowing up our pace and rebounding. Whether that's iso or not I don't care all that much. His 3pt% will be better the rest of the way, I have no doubt about that.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is what the Rockets knew they were getting. It’s how he’s been his whole career.

Utter disaster of a trade. Gonna be a very long 4 years.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All of the Russ believers are coming out of the woodwork. ;)

12. IBTL

IBTL Member

Russ will be fine.

Hatersville around here.

My eyeball test assessment is he is still being integrated.

He is chucking slightly less than before and that is a good sign.

There will be plenty of times in playoffs where he will take a bad shot. That is part of his game. But he is still capable of getting to the basket and i think that is the tradeoff of his chucking if we are measuring things.

With that in mind he is and will bring some heart that we haven't had in a while.

Harden to basket westbrook cuts to basket was nice and its those wrinkles that you wanna see while we are still in December.

We certainly could be in much worse position standings wise but are at 5 seed where pretty much expected.

We said it was a transition. I know stats are inflated but did wb have a triple double in one game?

Watching this san antonio game im here to say things are right on schedule. Everything is happening exactly as i had foreseen it. Chill main

JVL713 likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly

Rocket River likes this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Respectfully some of us have realized from the beginning that we could employ a panel of the greatest coaching minds in history and they would have no chance to make Westbrook a winning player.

There is no right situation or position for Westbrook. Well, unless the team is so stacked that he is by default your 4th(or worst)best player OR he stumbles into another miracle year where all his stupid jumpers go in at a decent rate.

That’s it. That’s the only way.

Westbrook isn’t changing for anyone. He continues to shoot 20+ times a game with some of the worst efficiency the game has ever seen. His gambling on defense puts him out of position more and hurts our defense more than Harden’s standing in cement defense.

We are boned until he is gone.

15. smp

smp Member

This seems so obvious to me. I really don’t understand how anyone could see it differently.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup, this is what I have been saying. The only way to make Westbrook adjust, is by adjusting the ROLE PLAYERS around him. Provide proven scorers. I think RW will pass more to guys he TRUSTS. We saw this with EG. But the Rockets *patchwork* bench unit is NOT conducive for the best possible RW.

Getting the best RW is like threading the needle here. It is not easy. It takes the right ingredients. Also, need Tilman to spend to help in this regard.

Nook likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DING DING DING DING

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I forgot against who it was I think it was the Mavericks that RW blew a wide open layup when we were fighting to get back in the game. Come on, Brodie.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. Blew the Layup
    2. It lead directly to a Harden 4th Foul

Rocket River

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is Harden's "help". no wonder he has to work harder than he ever had here. These carelessness are all your fault MDA

Deuce and jordnnnn like this.