1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

If the Rockets won last night ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 4, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Should the Spurs be able to protest the blown dunk call and ask for a do-over?

After all, you don’t know how things could play out differently with a made basket. Chances are the Spurs still lose, but maybe not.

Should a decision to replay those minutes, if it comes to that, depend on what the outcome of the game was?

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

If they held on to their 22 point lead, no one would be asking for a 7:50 minute do-over. :D:rolleyes:

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m sorry, but this thread is pretty nonsensical.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you ever thought about being a lawyer...save your money

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

It's just another opportunity for Westbrick to miss uncontested layups.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Some of you guys twist yourselves into knots trying to find content to put in thread.

bookmarked. will frequent.

D-rock, Nook, nsiddious and 4 others like this.
  9. durvasa

So, is the answer that they can’t protest it?

What’s the criteria the NBA should use here to decide if part of a game should be replayed?

It’s not just a missed call — it has to be a missed call that went against the losing team?

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it would look silly for them if they did. The perception would simply be that they were lucky they only lost by X number of points.

Since the game was tied at the end and the inexplicable omission of Harden's two points played a role, the Rockets have a case.

The main thing is there was no excuse for the officials to not check if that basket was good or not. I don't know if they were embarrassed to do so or what. Maybe they just felt it wasn't important since it was a 13-15 point game with 7+ minutes left but it's not defensible.

Those who keep saying "Rockets blew the game, can't blame it on one call"... do you feel the same way if the Rockets blew the same lead and this happened with 10 seconds left of a tie game? There's no way the officials don't check the cameras then.

Or how about if the Rockets were DOWN 22 in the third, also disgusting, and they came roaring back and were deprived of a win because of this?

It's BS. Just because the Rockets should have crushed the Spurs doesn't mean people should completely overlook how badly they got screwed by this unprecedented decision by the officials.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Durvasa, you shouldn't have gone there, in my humble opinion.

Easy, D-rock, Blurr#7 and 3 others like this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ridiculous proposition but I will go ahead and honor durvasa with a sensible response out of respect for him.

Answer: No because Spurs are savages and San Antonio women are fat and ugly.

WestendMassive and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden dunked the ball for 2 points, the refs said he didn’t...that was 2 points off the board for the Rockets which hurt them and helped San Antonio

This has gotta be a troll thread.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In a many-worlds hypothesis an infinite number of branches potentially unfolded unfolded from that point, including some where the Spurs replayed the game and won, and some where they lost.

A pleasant time was guaranteed for all.

hakeem94 and durvasa like this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro cmon, I know you wanna be objective but this ridiculous. It should be the team who was disadvantaged by the call, You can’t protest something you weren’t disadvantaged by

16. durvasa

Where did I go?

I assume if we won no one here would be asking for this issue to be addressed, unless maybe they bet on the game’s point spread. Does the NBA only permit replay because the game went to OT? What if the Rockets lose by 5 in regulation?

The thing is, once you go back and try to redo the outcome of a play, you can’t assume the rest of the game plays out the same way. That’s why the NBA can’t just give the win to the Rockets. But as soon as we acknowledge that point, it could be argued that a replay should be permitted even for the team the overturned call would hurt. Same logic — you can’t know how the rest of the game plays out.

What am I missing?

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Go back to the D n D where this type of liberal logic is celebrated.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets should have never said they want an automatic win. It has derailed an already train wreck of a conversation.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I said all I'm going to say, at least in this thread.

D-rock likes this.
  20. durvasa

The irony here is the Rockets did something like that in a report they sent to the league about the blown calls in the 2018 WCF. In calculating the extent to which they were disadvantaged by the officiating, they included bad fouls that went against the Warriors which they argued hurt the Rockets expected points on the possession (because the possession resulted in missed free throws).