1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 12/3/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 2, 2019.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if the refs just called the game fair last 2 playoffs Mike would be wearing 2 rings now
    so notion that mike is not an AWESOME coach is based purely on refs bias not on basketball production

as per basketball knowledge skills and production he is the COACH of the best team of all times ...pg whisperer that unlocked the GOAT

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I know. I said their record was worse

I also said MDA's system is good.

But you just made the point that you dont need MDA to run MDA's system. Kerr probably ran elements of MDA's system in GS . What exactly is MDA's system anyways ?

roslolian likes this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

I swear people just post anything on this board. How does that even REMOTELY relate to the post you quoted?

I’ll wait.

roslolian and daywalker02 like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

ok

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The NBA gives me Mafia, Betting, Las Vegas vibes. Some referees must have made a lot of money on tonight's game Rockets were a -7 favorites to win this game.

NBA deserve backlash. Rockets deserve a DRAW like in Hockey. Just call it a DRAW.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

He loves ball movement and cuts and such, he's actually adjusted his scheme for Harden, he hates Iso ball, he's said it himself. I know you have issues with Mike and thats fair, but he did change the modern NBA offenses. He was a big part of why the NBA is what it is today. It doesnt mean your criticisms for today are invalid...im simply talking about the history.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. houtown

houtown Member

Are we going to pretend that this is a championship team with d'antoni as coach again?

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. sungjina

sungjina Member

At the end of the game every play is Harden iso after iso after iso. The ball stops moving, the other players are standing around praying they get a offensive rebound only for the ball to go back to Harden and for the same thing to happen again.

In late game situations, we need a coach that can make adjustments on the fly. I just don't think MDA will ever be capable of doing this.

deb4rockets and solid like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, 1 Finals appearance or 2 at best. 2 rings are far fetched IMO.

#1509 daywalker02, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

as you said best, 2 Finals

that's potentially 2 Rings right there

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tell that to the OKC against Heat.......or the Dwight led Magic.

I said 1 at best, 2 ...I am being generous, and I counted in the Phoenix days.

The situation was different back then.

The Spurs and Duncan did dominate against Phoenix, there were questionable calls throughout NBA Playoff history.

MDA being stubborn always cost him, you can't modify his brain when it comes to successfully calling out Time Outs that should have been working.

Also his assistants teaching Defense, he should know defensive plays by NOW!

That said, a protest for repeating a game would have higher probability of success in the regular season.

#1511 daywalker02, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  12. riko

riko Member

Bad shot selection and horrible defense especially on the 3 pt line were killers. You don’t blow a 23 point lead with 14 minutes remaining period.

deb4rockets and J.R. like this.
  13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Clint might get there if he keeps playing like this. Some more offense created by him would be good. I was hoping House might bloom into one.

But I can't disagree with your point. This team is making the playoffs. It's just not going to make the Finals with these kinds of flaws. Flaws like, the lack of coaching offense when Harden has the ball---lets all stand around and watch Superman save that lady in the burning building! Or not calling timeouts, either to set up their own play, or just break the momentum of the other team. The rotation problem is more understandable when you remember that: Clemons shot terribly last night (0-6, IIRC), Clark racked up 3 fouls in 8 minutes, House had a boo-boo, Gordon still isn't back. I guess MDA thought Hart would be eaten alive, and Sef & Chandler are just old. Who's he supposed to rotate in? Rivers was getting plenty of PT. I would have preferred more.

Or not punishing an otherwise untouchable player when that player persists in selfishly shooting the team out of the game. "Buh, but James!" Harden gets to the line a lot of the time when he shoots. Harden takes more efficient shots. If WB drove to the basket, still missed with that kind of percentage, but got to the line 15-20 times like Harden. I'd be less unhappy. He got there 4 times last night.

All of those flaws are fixable. Nobody acts like they want to fix them though.

deb4rockets and h-townfan like this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

****ing bums, jack up threes and play **** defense.This is a team of frauds. Fraud coach, fraud players. I probably won't watch another rox game until after the allstar break

whiskeyred and J.R. like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dumb ass loss
    Dumb ass refs

102-89

[8:36] Russell Westbrook misses 24-foot three point jumper
    PJ Tucker misses three point jumper
    Ben McLemore misses 25-foot three point jumper
    James Harden misses dunk (BLOWN CALL -- Would have been 104-89 with 7:50 left)
    James Harden makes 25-foot three point jumper (Russell Westbrook assists) [105-89]
    James Harden misses 27-foot step back jumpshot
    Russell Westbrook bad pass (Jakob Poeltl steals)
    Russell Westbrook makes free throw 1 of 2
    [6:03] Russell Westbrook makes free throw 2 of 2 [107-93]
    Russell Westbrook misses driving layup
    Russell Westbrook lost ball turnover (Lonnie Walker IV steals)
    Russell Westbrook bad pass (Lonnie Walker IV steals)
    Russell Westbrook misses 19-foot step back jumpshot
    [4:22] PJ Tucker makes 20-foot jumper (Clint Capela assists) [109-99]
    James Harden misses two point shot
    Clint Capela makes two point shot
    Russell Westbrook makes 17-foot pullup jump shot
    James Harden misses 26-foot three point pullup jump shot
    Jakob Poeltl blocks Russell Westbrook 's 2-foot two point shot
    James Harden makes free throw 1 of 2
    [1:46] James Harden makes free throw 2 of 2 [115-107]
    [1:16] Russell Westbrook misses 26-foot three point pullup jump shot
    [51.0] James Harden misses 27-foot step back jumpshot
    [18.6] James Harden misses 27-foot step back jumpshot
    [1.8] Jakob Poeltl blocks James Harden 's 6-foot driving floating jump shot

whiskeyred likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why are the refs gonna rig the games for San Antonio Spurs though?

What you have is incompetence of refs. But if a ref is incompetent that incompetence goes both ways so it evens out. If they missed 9 Rox calls if you closely watched the game I'm sure you'd find 9 missed Spurs calls as well.

We always go through this song and dance you guys keep saying its rigged but you guys also keep watching. This is real life not a superhero movie Harden and co. aren't some superheroes going against all odds to prevail over evil. If you think the NBA has some sort of vendetta vs the Rox and would keep favoring even lotto teams just to make sure the Rockets lose then you shouldnt watch and support such a corrupt sport.

People stopped supporting Lance Armstrong when they found out he cheated. You guys keep alleging the refs are cheating but you keep watching.

snowconeman22 and CapelaOnlyFan like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Amazing post. Too bad Remlap will ignore as he often does when he gets shown up lmao

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I give MDA credit for being an offensive system mastermind.

But:

1. He did not make James Harden, as he did not make Steve Nash. Both those guys got paid the max way before they played with MDA. He made Jeremy Lin though, I give him credit for that.
    2. We need a better coach in the playoffs, one who can actually coach instead of letting Harden do the coaching.

Houstunna and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

maybe they bet on the Spurs to cover?

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

One loss doesn't make a season, but the SA game highlights some team issues. One is the Westbrook trade. The other is isolation basketball. Lack of movement creates poor shot selection. And finally, the bombs away coaching strategy is forever vulnerable to low shooting percentages and late collapses. All combined you end up with close but no cigar.

roslolian and deb4rockets like this.