1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 12/3/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 2, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If Russ had more structure I bet he would be a lot better, but MDA is a roll the ball out coach and Russ is allowed to be a bonehead for a full 48. I bet he scares MDA.

Harden better put that friendship to the test and tell Russ to drive all the time.

ak99999, BMoney, amaru and 3 others like this.
  2. Remlap

Remlap Member

AHHHH. Another one.
    An idiot doesn't garner a .700 winning percentage in the NBA
    2nd best winning record over the past 3 seasons.

So, I'm guessing you are on the 'Fire MDA' bandwagon.
    I'll ask YOU too. Who is your ideal replacement that could do BETTER
    and take us to the promised land?

Plowman likes this.
  3. omgTHEpotential

Media tomorrow: "Who cares about that missed dunk. Harden and Westbrook went combined 18-68 from the field. And they lost by 3 points, the 2-point dunk doesn't matter."

4. Mr. Space City

Of course they do. Because nobody else does. Rivers doesnt either.

5. SemisolidSnake

Simply making the playoffs really means nothing. Historically speaking, if you're not a 3rd seed or higher, you will not win the championship. There are only two exceptions in NBA history. Realistically, if you not a 2nd or 1st seed, your chances are very slim. Obviously, this is mostly about a team good enough to take one of the top two spots being good enough to win it all. Well, good teams don't typically lose games they should win at any point in the season.

Hmm, now that I think about it, given how lopsided things are, the NBA really should go to only four teams per conference in the playoffs. It would shorten the dreadfully-long NBA playoffs, and, statistically, there are no underdogs winning the whole thing, so seeds 5-8 are basically pointless. MLB should actually consider more teams in its playoffs since its playoffs are much more efficient and upsets are much more likely. That will never happen, but it does show you where it does and doesn't matter if you make playoffs or not.

6. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

On the bright side...
    • Russ has some really clutch rebounds.
    • Harden knew to attack despite for whatever reason he hesitated with the 3 (usu he shoots himself out of slumps).
    • Rivers wayyyyyyy more reliable than last season from the 3 and his defense.
    • BMac was hot before getting stitched.
    • Clint was great. Would love to see some Russ-Clint pnr. We barely see Clint lobs with Harden getting doubled every play now.
    • Defense on Derozen was great thanks to PJ and Clint.
    • Harden, Russ, Rivers, Tucker had a sequence where they all were moving their feet really well that drew a 24s violation. That was really cool to see. Just need more of that focus in stretches.
    Long-standing gripe...
    • For all the praise that the players give MDA, he has so so much to be desired especially in late game situations or sometimes like tonight for managing an entire 4th qtr. Like, what was the reason to have Russ and Harden play the entire 4th when we were up 20. I also wonder if he's able to see if the opposing team has a hot hand at any given moment.
    Anyone else forget we still have EG?

gfab-babyboi and amaru like this.
  7. Remlap

Remlap Member

But, you never answered my question.
    Who is your ideal replacement that could do BETTER??

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those that missed it, sorry if it's already been posted :

RocketWalta and omgTHEpotential like this.
  9. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Of course he's going to have a good winning percentage..... he has James Harden in his damn team. Harden carries his ass every single season.

I guarantee you any other coach with decent basketball IQ would do a better job. MDA has made a lot of mistakes in the past 18 months or so. It's time for him to leave.

MrSabotage and roslolian like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

@durvasa Im thinking im starting to come around to the idea that Taylor was right and that Morey ball model is too inflexible and not robust enough. This was just horrible.

durvasa likes this.
  11. bro2044

bro2044 Member

He got cut and was out of the game getting stitches until the end of 2nd OT.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If I knew an ideal replacement I would give names. Toronto replaced their winning coach with a no name guy, Nick Nurse and that turned out well. I don't know the solution, but MDA does the same bullsh*t every year and we are all out here hoping every year is the time.

MrSabotage, amaru and roslolian like this.
  13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

i bet gordon helps russ. so im not worried until i see our full team.

Roomba and DreamShook like this.
  14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Looks like we got regular season Westbrick.
    The dude is who we thought he was.

Lets just pray Brodie joins us for this postseason run....,

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

JVG, Joerger ez.

Even Vogel who nobody was paying attention to is doing a great job in LA. Competent coaches are not in short supply in the NBA.

PeterKingX and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I know we've already had this discussion. But , at this point i think any of the former coaches commentating might be better.

The record is also largely due to the talent we've had.

Its easier to spot a problem than find the solution and I believe that we are right that MDA is a major problem.

Its also telling when the best defense of MDA is that we on CF dont have a great replacement in mind.

Im generally against Mid season firings. But at this point I'd love for you to explain to me how MDA isnt a problem and how he is net helping us. What is he doing that a generic coach is incapable of figuring out. Floor spacing is the norm now. Giving James the ball is a no brainer. What has he shown you to make you think hes capable of coming up with alternate strategies when things are falling apart?

roslolian likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep, way too inflexible

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm officially worried. The one guy that I should be worried about being out is Harden. I shouldn't be waiting for what should be the 3rd or 4th best player EG. I shouldn't be saying, "well House was out". Harden and Westbrook together should be able to beat teams easily.

19. Junebball

Junebball Member

Watching this game, must be very frustrating for Harden. He pushed for WB trade thinking he will help him get to the next level. He gives up the ball to WB and is a turn over or a bad shot or a missed wide open three. Harden is not getting any younger and you have to wonder at this stage of his career if he will ever play next to another player of his caliber. WB is in the books for a long time. This team is not winning a championship with WB in the roster.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

@Nook is right that Russell Westbrook is basically a more athletic Rajon Rondo at this point in his career. In an ideal world, the Rockets would have him drive and either finish at the rim or pass to open shooters when he breaks down the defense, but that means taking the ball out of James Harden’s hands. Which is a big problem, and I’m not sure how D’Antoni resolves it.

HP3 likes this.