1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crunch time offense concerns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by realonemo, Nov 29, 2019.

1. realonemo

realonemo Member

Should we abandon Morey ball in crunch time and get points however possible? I'm just worried that against really good team the offense is gonna become iso Harden stepback 3 or pnr Harden drive and kick against a set defense. He has added the floater which was crucial last year but I really wouldn't mind a pull up 2 if the defense is allowing that. I think versatility is really important when trying to beat elite smart coached teams. BTW this applies to everyone on the team...I just used James as an example since he will have the ball in his hands majority of the time.

carib likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There are plenty of situations where the 3s and layups model breaks, but all of those are in crunch time with just a few seconds left to play. If you only need 2 points to win a game, shooting the three is pretty stupid unless it's the only shot open.

BUT.. for the rest of the game.. nah. You only abandon the 3/layup thing if you're bricking everything. The model still works 90% of the time and 100% of the time if you happen to be hitting threes that game.

carib, HP3, RayRay10 and 1 other person like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If crunch time defense is so effective why don't teams use it all game?

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Offensive rating rank in “Clutch” time since we got Harden

19/20: 6th
    18/19 : 11th
    17/18 : 1st
    16/17 : 16th
    15/16 : 14th
    14/15 : 15th
    13/14 : 5th
    12/13 : 7th

Looks to me like the offense has generally worked pretty well in the clutch.

topfive, HP3, Blurr#7 and 1 other person like this.
  5. smp

smp Member

It’s hard to give a rule because there are so many variables. Who is shooting hot that night and from where? Who is defending the 3? Who is defending the paint? Are they switching on defense? Playing man or zone? Are your guards who can drive fresh/healthy or banged up/ out of gas? Who is in foul trouble. Are you in the bonus? How are the refs calling the game? Who has the momentum? Is Doris watching Hardens arm the whole game? Did Capela wash his hands 2 days ago? Is EG having fun? Are there good strip clubs in the city?

Stats don’t account for all of that. It’s the coach who has to decide the best way to attack given all the variables. He has to come up with the game plan to close out the game and sub in the right available players to implement the plan.

Morey can’t provide a decision model for small sample sizes like that. His model is for what works best for the overall season and all of that stuff washes out. It’s critical in a game 7 final minutes though.

So the bottom line is the final minutes of a playoff game is on the coach and star players to make the right decisions and execute, given all the variables in play at that time. Maybe a 3 is better in some situations than a 2. Maybe the opposite is true. It all depends.

6. SemisolidSnake

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The oilers needed a tight end some times during the Run and Shoot era

Rocket River
    Stubbornness helps no one

8. realonemo

realonemo Member

I just think that sometimes the role players get scared if the three isn't there and then take really bad contested shots. For example Rivers just need to play to his strength and drive (he's really good at that).
    Side note: man JH used to make this look so effortless

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's actually still shooting them at a good% but he's virtually eliminated the shot between 10-16 ft from his game and taking more shots at 3-10 feet

realonemo likes this.
  10. realonemo

realonemo Member

After the spurs game and clippers game do you see my point ?

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Serious question? You'll get gassed too early, too often.

ipaman likes this.
  12. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

We need a good defensive coach

RocketsTerps likes this.
  13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

The 3 point shot is the hardest shot to make, but I guess the numbers say we should just keep chunkin them in crunch time even if we’ve been cold the last few minutes and we’ve lost the momentum? That sounds like someone who just looks at numbers and doesn’t actually watch the games...

14. LjGarci

LjGarci Member

We choke when the pace of the game slow when the Rockets trying to eat the clock thats when our offense look awful (horrible) we are predictable in those situation Harden takes the ball yoyoyo TO or Miss we need to fix this ASAP

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Should have milked the clock more on the last two minutes

I think DanAndToni might need to call timeouts there to give the players a blow

Rocket River

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This has been our kryptonite since forever. Still no fix.

17. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Ok, enough is enough. This team is a joke, a very bad one.
    Year after year the same mistakes. The era of MDA has come to an end, this team is not going anywhere.
    It is the worst team in the entire NBA in terms of handling advantages, the worst by far. And it's something that gets worse game by game.
    No defense, no heart, no pride.
    Harden only cares about his numbers, Westbrook is pathetic and MDA doesn't learn from his mistakes.
    There is no future with this team, as simple as that.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Overtime situations really expose the shortcomings of this offense. There’s no plan b when James is gassed and watching him pound the ball for 15 seconds before shooting a 3 is so much more painful when every possession matters. There’s no movement and no dynamism to this offense which is shocking for the coach who invented 7 Seconds or Less.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I see so does the coaching staff set the sliders at a lower level and then boost them at certain times?

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I honestly believe this - it has nothing to do with defense.

An offense based on the 3 ball is destined to fail in crunch time.

When you're playing a percentage game you're playing for the averages, so through the course of a game - launch them 3s. In that sense I don't have an issue with Moreyball.

But the final play of the game is not a repeatable scenario. It's a one-and-done. If it's a tie game, final minute, you need the highest percentage shot, not the highest average value shot.

smp and Y2JT like this.