1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. raining threes

Cole may want to go play with his brother in law in San Fran. I could see his wife pressuring him to go there. Particularly if the money is right.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

The new revolution of women lately means only one thing, the Astros need to lead the way and evolve by giving these wives what they want. They are making all the decisions lately. Make it harder to leave.

RKREBORN and studogg like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I have to admit that I know next to nothing about the baseball salary cap or lack thereof but how in the world are the Yankees ALWAYS in the running for the top free agent talent?
    I knew we’d lose Cole but I never thought it’d be to the Yankees. Make me want to drink a lot of alcohol.

desihooper likes this.
  6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They exercised some austerity last year to get under the more punitive repeater tax, so they're back at it this year now that the penalty is less.

franchise403 likes this.
  7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

All this mean is Angels will open their wallet a little larger. Boras is making sure Yanks get the first visit to bump up the price.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

meh... We will just have to cheat better.

The Real Shady and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Who is the last superstar free agent they got?

The Yankees payroll for 2020 is about the same as the Astros right now. Astros have 4 players making $20MM+ right now. Yankees have 2.

10. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I guess it depends on what you think of Giancarlo (trade) and the fact that they're always linked to top free agents. What I didn't understand is how they always seem to positioned to bid for these players or if it's simply the media always linking top talent to NY, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc... Self-admittedly as my kids have gotten older/busier I have had less time to read up on free agency, the draft, trades, in any sport really.

Clutch is my catch all!

11. Major

Major Member

Eh - that was a trade. No different than Verlander or Cole or Grienke, for example. Lots of teams trade for high level talent. Last year's two big free agents were Harper and Machado, and the Yankees were only mentioned briefly early on. Their big FA signing last year was ... JA Happ. They get linked to all these guys because I'm sure agents want to meet with them to scare other teams into big offers. But they've been super-responsible with their money recently and have a ton of financial flexibility as a result to now go after anyone they think is the "missing piece".

franchise403 likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would say trading for a guy owed 300 million is a little different from what we did.

13. Major

Major Member

Why? They weren't getting into a bidding war with other teams for a free agent. They knew his salary, were OK with it, and decided he provided them value. That's the same we did with Verlander, Greinke, etc. It's bigger in the nature of the commitment, certainly, but it's the same principle. It has nothing to do with the Yankees being linked to all the high-priced free agents. They've avoided bidding wars for the most part the last several years.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Whatever happens, I'm thrilled the Astros got the best years of Cole at the best rate... and laid waste to the Pirates entire organization as a result.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Cole going to the Yankees is so cliché. If it happens, then I hope it doesn't work out and the Yankees pay for it for a long time. No offense, Cole. I know Cole only has to be loyal to himself and his family answering to no one else. Just know the Yankees fans will be your worst enemy if you don't perform up to your contract. No one will give you more sh*t.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

What happened to Crane saying they would make an attempt to sign Cole? We always knew it to be a long shot but they aren't even "known to be in..." as in even interested.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Or....The Astros will get a final look. Cole knows what the Astros' bring.

18. Jeremy Williams

On the positive side, it would likely take them out of a lot of other future deals.

Marteen likes this.
  19. Jeremy Williams

The Astros play it quiet. We never hear of offers/deals until they are final.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.