1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patriots’ Caserio likely headed to Texans next season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 20, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

GM O'Brien in shambles, "Why did they have do me like this, Brian?"

*Trades away more future draft picks*

CometsWin and Mr. Clutch like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why should they??

BillyO can trade away more first round picks for more first round exits just fine on his own!!!

*** DISCLAIMER: the above statement is sarcasm in the even the Texans go on to win the SB in 2020, but not sarcasm in the likely event they go on to lose early in the playoffs.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

fold the franchise

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think O’Brien gets an unfair rap sometimes, but I can’t fathom going all in on him the way this organization appears to be doing.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Exactly my feelings.

houstonstime and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO

The man with an 80 IQ now has complete control of the organization. Well played BOB.

CometsWin and Mr. Clutch like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm alright with it. Not ecstatic, but not upset like I'm sure a lot of people will be.

He's brought in a lot of talent, and I think he'll spend some money this off-season.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

BOB deserves credit for being a strong leader, he has control of his team and they play hard for him. Those are all important; however he just isn’t good at the actual coaching part

10. Nook

Nook Member

Time will tell, he should win 11 games this year which is good. With the plague hitting New England he has a decent chance to win a game they shouldn’t win as well.

Keep in mind he brought in talent by gutting the draft. The costs are down the line.

vinsensual and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm fine with bringing in talent through trading draft picks, if they're young players. Any given draft pick could bust. If you can trade that for a known commodity, I'm all for it.

body slam and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It can work in small doses, but those younger players we trade for will also be free agents sooner and it will eventually cause a cap issue. I am glad they are trying to win, they just are not always terribly smart about how they go about it.

CometsWin and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh lord. Here I was thinking they'd never fire O'Brien once they sign Caserio.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I wonder if the December 1 story had its start in Caserio taking a look at the upcoming shambles their draft and cap situation will be next year and especially the year after, and privately told the Texans, "No thanks." Then the Texans come back with this story?

OTOH, the toughest job an NFL GM has is finding 'that guy' at QB, and that's already been done here.

Rudyc281 and Mr. Clutch like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Missing 3 picks is “draft shambles”? 2 low first rounders and a 2nd has no effect on whether a GM would take the job. Texans have a bunch of cap to go along with the picks they have. Having the QB in place is the most important for a team.

Rudyc281 and eliefor3 like this.
  16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rick Smith was the conservative GM. Draft picks were more valuable than players

BO'B is the overly aggressive GM. Draft picks aren't as important as the current product on the field

We need to find someone that's somewhere in between the 2. Someone who doesnt get fleeced in the Clowney deal but also isn't afraid to get a guy like Tunsil. This someone needs to have some general outlook on what the franchise will look like 3 years down the road at any given time.

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Yes, missing those picks makes their drafts disasters, even before anyone gets picked.

It makes any proposed incoming GM's job that much harder, because that's how teams get new playmaker-quality talent in a hard salary cap league. Further, they're not going to have 'a bunch of cap' after they get done trying to retain their significant free agents this upcoming offseason. Roby, Reader, JJo, Mercilus, Hyde, Fells, Weeks, Anger, Fairbairn and McCarron if you care. Some of those guys are going to get P*A*I*D.

And every dollar you give them is a dollar unavailable to sign Tunsil or Watson's titanic extensions. You do realize Watson is probably going to be the highest paid player in football, don't you? Tunsil will likely be the highest paid O-lineman. For 2021, you've got Stills, Hargreaves, Cunningham, off the top of my head. They don't have enough money to pay everyone they need to retain.

So when GM William O'Brien does things like make a try-hard 5th best center in his division, one of the highest paid centers in football. Or give away the best run defender in the game for what he would've received had the player just left in FA---plus paid the other team for the privilege! Or trade away the team's chances for acquiring new superstar talent for the next two years, for a guy who can't work in concert with the other five guys at the line of scrimmage: all of that adds up.

It's a case of an extremely short-sighted chief executive, promoted well past his competency, managing only to the next immediate set of benchmarks, and completely heedless of any long term damage the enterprise suffers in the process.

It's understandable why BoB thinks this way, and is allowed to act in accordance. His conduct is exactly aligned with the thinking and actions of most of the publicly-traded US corporations' board members. And when their company craters when the mismanagement gets too much to hide, they'll cash out the remainder of their employment contract and hop right into another C-suite to do it all over again.

Anyway, so long as BoB has ultimate power, and the Texans are steaming full into the iceberg of cap hell in the next few years, I'm not surprised if Caserio, or any other up and comer, has told the Texans they aren't interested.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Add on top of that reaching for need in past drafts. Lonnie looks like a bust. O'Brien is doing everything wrong, only kept afloat by talent that was already here (watt, Hopkins) or that he kicked into (Watson, clowney)

Gray_Jay likes this.
  19. showa13

showa13 Member

You make some good points in your post(although I doubt we retain some of those players) and I’m on the fire BOB train, but no draft is a disaster 2 YEARS out unless you have no picks. No draft is a disaster THE DAY BEFORE IT STARTS unless you traded away all of your picks. I know we treat draft picks like Crown Jewels but not having a first round pick doesn’t mean your draft is a disaster. Picking a bust in the 1st is worst than not having a 1st at all.

20. showa13

showa13 Member

Lonnie plays like a rookie CB. He’s nowhere close to a bust. Kareem Jackson played terribly in his rookie year and he turned out decent enough.

red5rocket likes this.