1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you admit she did not call him a racist but you are just extrapolating.

And you are the guy tying himself in nots explaining away anybody calling Trump a racist.

Let's do that same extrapolating with Trump and his administration since you seem to know how things can be packaged subtly.

Could you be anymore of a Joke.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Warren has tanked 11% (26.8 to 15.8) in national polling average in the last 50 days or so. Bernie has stayed solid in the 15-18% range, Biden solid in the 25-30% range. Pete grew from 5% to a recent shoot up to 11%.

Everybody else is below 4%. It looks likely 9 people will qualify for December, DNC needs to quit dicking around cut the debates to that top 4 for January, enough of seeing 2%'s argue for 2 hours.

justtxyank and MojoMan like this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Ok, I am not sure who all is on the list of nine that you are referring to, or whether the Axios article which I am now going to quote is right either. But according to Axios, there are six candidates that are qualified for the December debate with two more struggling to get in.

Who has qualified for the December Democratic debate

The big picture: The new polling requirements could endanger all but the top candidates as participants will have to gain support of 4% in at least four DNC-approved national or early-state polls.
    • Candidates can also qualify by hitting 6% in two approved early-state polls.
    • Contenders need at least 200,000 unique donors, with a minimum of 800 donors in 20 states.
    • The cutoff date to make the sixth debate is Dec. 12.
    The debate will be moderated by Politico's Tim Alberta and PBS' Judy Woodruff, Amna Nawaz and Yamiche Alcindor.

The candidates who qualified:
    1. Former Vice President Joe Biden
    2. Sen. Elizabeth Warren
    3. Sen. Bernie Sanders
    4. Sen. Kamala Harris
    5. Mayor Pete Buttigieg
    6. Sen. Amy Klobuchar
    What to watch: Some second-tier candidates could face an uphill battle.
    • Julián Castro failed to qualify for the November debate stage weeks after threatening to drop out over waning fundraising.
    • Sen. Cory Booker announced Thursday he received enough donations to meet the debate threshold. He still needs to make the polling requirements, CNN reports.
    Anyway, if this Axios report is accurate, you may be closing in on getting your wish for a smaller field. And not a moment too soon, either.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I really haven’t seen or heard anything from Mayor Pete that has struck me as racist but perhaps I missed it. Then again I am not black.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Mayor Pete's comments were carefully calculated, rational and very reasonable. Whoopi is one of these that walks around with a "racism" chip on her shoulder, just hoping someone will brush up near enough to her for her to allow it to fall off. Then she responds with a SJW inspired, "Politically correct" race screed at whoever she perceives the latest offender to be.

I am certainly not going to vote for Mayor Pete, but his comments were fine. He is not the problem here. She is. However, sadly for Mayor Pete, a large number of potential primary voters are not going to see it that way and will agree with Whoopi.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buttigieg is super slick. He can talk at length and in great detail without actually saying anything that you can pin him down on. He qualifies and equivocates everything.

It's a skill learned worked at Mackenzie and Company (which he never talks about).

The Medicare for Everyone (Who Wants It) line is the most cited example. It could literally mean Medicare at a reasonable price unless you have an existing plan. But if you've ever left a job, Cobra lets you keep medical coverage if you "want it", paying about 5x per month what you were paying at your job (you cover both employee and employer costs). Most people don't "want it" badly enough to take out a second morgage.

So the way Buttigieg has learned to talk, people necessarily by design project a ton of themselves onto whatever he says, which is kind of his secret weapon and lets different people think he is saying exactly what they want, but can also lead to some people projecting their worst fears onto what he says.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s accurate for who was qualified, Yang, Steyer and Gabbare are all on the verge of qualifying as well, it’s possible only 6 make it but it seems likely it will be more if not the entire 9.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Robert Johnson claims there's no current Democrat who can beat Trump:

BET founder Robert Johnson, a lifelong Democrat and America’s first black billionaire, has assessed the Democratic contenders in next year’s presidential election. And he doesn’t like what he sees.

“If you take a snapshot today, I don’t think that group is capable of beating Donald Trump, despite what the polls say,” Johnson told CNBC in an interview.

“I think the president has always been in a position where it’s his to lose.”

Despite his politics, Johnson has praised the Trump economy, particularly a rise in African American employment, though it remains lower than white employment rates.

And he has sided with many conservatives, including Trump, in saying Democratic politicians have moved too far left.

He told CNBC he sees a “double effect” of Trump’s incendiary comments and rhetoric that fires up his base. Democrats react strongly, he said, which puts the president’s supporters on defense and adds to his support.

“I do not see anybody in the Democratic primary race today that is enough in the center where I believe most of the voters are, and particularly where most African Americans are,” Johnson told CNBC.
    more at the link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/29/robert-johnson-trump/

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Uncle Tom...

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looks like the Dems are f'ed with "no one to save them"...since the critics who proclaim this have no one in mind nor any inclination of an answer. Sounds as helpful or constructive as posting Potip- RoCKetS NeeD a STRETCH FOR MURREY GeTiT NoW!! on the garm....

If Democrats can't rally the vote at the general election, then it's a self fulfilling statement.

Say all you want about Republicans, but they managed to get self proclaimed Never Trumpers (never means never unless you bribe me to make it mean something else) to toe in line. Lindsay and Rafael propped themselves as Trump's firewall.

Call it fight or tenacity but that's something they are laughing and taunting at Dems for not having. These tailored remarks are banking on it.

#2050 Invisible Fan, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Also, it just me or are these "moderate voices" promoting the status quo that fed Wall Street policies and enabled plutocrat billionaire donors muck up the process?

Seems convenient to hide behind Middling America and Fear Radical Change while complaining about the G Man pulling the plug on bankrupt granny.

In the land of plenty, generate fake scarcity, and reward the ones who are organized and complain the most. Then pocket the 40% difference.

Yeah that's hella better than making it fair and open for everyone.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If the Democrats actually do narrowly vote to impeach President Trump in the House, the timing of the trial in the Senate - probably during February and perhaps into March of 2020 - will be gift for the currently rising Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who ends his mayoral term in South Bend on December 31, 2019.

Impeachment set to leave Buttigieg as only top-tier 2020 Democrat campaigning full time

The end of Pete Buttigieg’s term as mayor of South Bend, Indiana, on Dec. 31 comes at a fortuitous time for him in the Democratic presidential race, freeing him from mayoral obligations a full month before the first state nominating contests begin while his competitors tend to Washington obligations.

Buttigieg, 37, will become a full-time candidate as most of his primary competitors are due to be pulled away from Iowa and New Hampshire so they can sit in the Senate observing impeachment proceedings against President Trump. Joe Biden, 77, is the only other top-tier candidate able to campaign unrestricted, but he has been sticking to what one Democrat described as an "old man schedule."

If the House impeaches Trump before Congress’s winter recess, a Senate trial could take place around the Feb. 3 Iowa caucuses and Feb. 11 New Hampshire primary. That severely complicates a crucial time period for the six senators seeking the Democratic presidential nomination: Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Kamala Harris of California, Cory Booker of New Jersey, and Michael Bennet of Colorado.​

The timing of the trial will leave Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Amy Kolbuchar, Kamala Harris and Corey Booker stranded in the Senate during this time frame. Meanwhile, with national frontrunner Joe Biden is maintaining a part-time, "Old man schedule," therefore off the campaign trail.

This will leave Mayor Pete as the only tier one or tier two candidate on the campaign trail full time as the primary elections begin in earnest. In fact, the first four primaries are all scheduled in February (Iowa - 2/3, New Hampshire 3/11, Nevada 3/22, South Carolina 3/29). This contest will then shift immediately into high gear, as half of all states (25) will have voted by March 10, 2020, with Super Tuesday on March 3 and another big primary day on March 10.

Here is a link to the primary schedule: https://www.270towin.com/2020-election-calendar/

Anyone who thinks that this trial is likely to finish before March 10 is almost assuredly fooling themselves. And Mayor Pete looks to be the clear beneficiary.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@justtxyank

Given that this thread is mostly kept alive by the OP bumping his own thread to keep his insulting headline afloat, and the numerous other threads that address the subject matter that don't require constant bumping - maybe it's time to shut this one down?

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Never knew he was in.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

there are eight different posters on this page alone

can you read his mind to assess his motivation?

i.e., "I disagree with OP, therefore let's shut OP down."

mick fry and MojoMan like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Whenever this thread starts to die, he bumps it. I know you are a big fan of Mojoman and you obviously are a right-winger, but really look at this objectively. You have someone who is constantly bumping his own thread whenever a few days passes without anyone posting. I suppose it's better than him creating more and more threads, but still, there has to be a limit to fishing here.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you should take a look at some of the @NewRoxFan threads . . . in other words, what about @NewRoxFan ?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You two are pretty similar, with the 20 links a day 365 days a year thing. I feel like you troll a bit more though lol.

Purely D&D wise, you're a blast in the GARM. I've never seen NewRoxFan in the GARM.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What's the title to his thread you are referring to?