1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook leaves no doubt: It's the right wing's social network now - Part Two

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

everyone has at least one trump supporting uncle who constantly posts fake news and memes.

its ironic b/c the ones who whine most about the dishonest fake news are the ones that are most likely to post dishonest fake news on social media. and the thing is that most of these people dont care that they are putting out lies and B.S. memes. my trump supporting uncle posts more lies and fake news than all my other facebook friends combined and ill actually post factual info that debunks them. but he doesnt care...he keeps repeating the lies.

but is it facebooks responsibility to police that stuff or is it on us to not be so stupid?

heres one my trump supporting uncle recently posted...its demonstrably false and they even spelled guatemala wrong, but it doesnt matter. he believes this is real. does facebook have a responsibility to prevent the spread of misinformation or again, is it on us to not be so stupid?

these people think the MSM is all biased, partisan and liars...but they will eat up any random memes like this from some random person on facebook (who is actually probably a russian troll account).

[​IMG]

#42 jo mama, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    RayRay10, mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What you like is largely based on branding, you just don't realize it because that's how good branding works.

4. dmoneybangbang

This.

The irony is these facebooks warriors are just useful idiots, much like the tea party who was corporate funded.

mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

and it's Facebook that posts a "This may be fake news" warning right below many of those posts.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You would have thought the Dune Sea would have stopped the migrants, but then Mexican President Lopez-Obrador el Hutt took matters into his own hands:
    [​IMG]

Haymitch and jo mama like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't buy clothes much. If i need a nice shirt i go to Ross. They carry a lot of brands. Whatever catches my eye is what i probably purchase. Same with anything i wear

Branding affected me when i was younger in trying to be hip. I do try to avoid cheaper looking clothes.

At some point in my life i stopped buying expensive sneakers but i have started trying to keep nice sneakers again. I do usually look at Nike.

I not trying to claim to be of stronger mind. Clothes i buy i want to be comfortable and i want to look nice to others

Other than clothes what would i buy cause of branding?

When you get into higher cost items its the features and what's affordable. And that's for mostly everyone

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That Facebook should empower themselves as arbiters of truth for their users.

Personally I would be horrified if asked to decide what speech others can see.

Long term this is all moot, platforms will be developed that are decentralized and uncensorable. The left won't have central authorities like Facebook or the government to appeal to to censor speech they don't like.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

facebook allows fake news b/c thats what pays the bills. we, as users, are not the customers...we are the product.

if their paying customers had a problem with what they were doing then facebook would correct their behavior.

and if the lies didnt work on our uncles on facebook then they wouldnt push them...so in the end its ultimately on us. facebook is a private business and i dont really see it as a free speech issue. if they wanted to restrict certain things on their site that should be their prerogative to do so.

apollo33 and pgabriel like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The very nature of branding isn't to convince you to make logical choices. It's about leveraging human psychology and the weaknesses there in. The fact that you avoid cheaper looking clothes (most of us do including myself) is a testament to the power of fashion, culture, and yes branding. You go to Ross because it has built trust with you as a source for nice shirts. There's nothing wrong with any of this and doesn't reflect how strong someone's mind is or how weak it is.

The point is that these ads aren't designed to change your mind in one instance. You say nothing is going to make you buy into something you don't want, but that's not the purpose of these ads. It's to play off of what you want in very specific and insidious ways. The ads use FB's incredible targeting engine to develop psychological profiles of people - an understanding of what they want, and use that manipulate them. It may not have worked on you or maybe it did have an impact, you simply don't know when or where you were exposed to the information as it's spread isn't just limited to FB. That's the nature of changing people's attitudes about something - you never want them to realize you are doing it.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I go to Ross because it has cheap nuce clothes. Do you disagree that Riss has cheap nice clothes? Yes it markets itself that way but there is nothing insidious. Its information. Me wanting cheap and nice isnt cause of branding, its cause i live in a society where we want to look nice

As far as FB is concerned i scroll right through ads. Im on it all the time and can honestly say ive never bought anything ive seen advertised on Facebook

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hope that's the case, but there are already platforms like it that exist. They're as popular and scalable as blockchain right now. Monetization is another thing in its way...

I agreeee Russ has cheep noice clothes.

[​IMG]

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am just saying your relationship to Ross goes beyond the clothes it carries.

As for FB, you have bought things you have seen advertised on FB. Everyone has. That doesn't mean the ad made you go buy it though. In any case, that wasn't my point.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

look up the lightning network

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have a relationship with Ross because im satisfied shopping there

16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...eed-trump-even-more-than-trump-needs-facebook

Facebook Needs Trump Even More Than Trump Needs Facebook
    Employees fear Zuckerberg’s commitment to free speech is more about protecting the president than the company’s ideals.

More at the link above

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's Silly Valley Hypocrisy for ye.

Tout freedom and faux libertarian (no regulation! free speech!) values when you're "slavin away in your garage", then turn Republican like Oracle or Zuckerbot when your digital population is China sized and have monopoly powers across several demographics and industries.

I don't think Microsoft was ever this brazen even when people thought they were evil bullies sitting on the tech industry and Apple's back. Now Apple is the same Apple petty and cheap then, but a thousand times larger and several times more obnoxious than Microsoft ever was.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Seems like a short term bet to count on that group as long term customers.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian